Sign in with
Your question

2500k + Corsair H80 very hot load temp?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 10, 2012 3:35:01 AM

Hi! I've been using this Rig for less than a year now and I recently applied my 1 year old Thermal Paste for maintenance purposes. Thing is, I think the load temps of the 2500k at stock speeds are really high considering that I'm using Corsair H80 as my CPU cooling. @_@

I've used prime95 in this this test with my processor clocked at stock speeds. The test was only done in less than 5 minutes and the temps went way up at 70C+. Is this normal?

Btw, I'm living in a tropical country so the ambient temp is around 30C.

a c 150 K Overclocking
December 10, 2012 5:40:23 AM

Well, the H80 isn't that good of a cooler to begin with.

Here are some possibilties:
-Too much paste
-H80 not installed correctly

Though 40C above ambient seems pretty normal with a closed loop considering you live in such a hot environment.
m
l
December 10, 2012 5:58:47 AM

I did the rice application method for the thermal paste. And I also screw the bolts in opposite sides.

I'm thinking of changing my closed-loop system to a Noctua D14 Air Cooler. Do you think it's a better cooler compared to the H80 in a tropical environment?

Btw, my case in a Cooler Master Storm Trooper.
m
l
Related resources
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 10, 2012 11:17:01 PM

They are both better coolers.
m
l
December 10, 2012 11:31:20 PM

Okay. I think I'll be swapping my H80 with the Noctua. Thanks!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2012 3:06:19 AM

Heck, the H80 doesn't perform all that well compared to even a Hyper212+. You'll be more than happy with the Noctua in all respect. I'd say those temperatures are about normal seeing as how 30C is around 85F. So, that's really not too bad in all respect. If you're hellbent on reducing temperatures you could try setting an offset voltage into the negatives. I actually hold a 4.0Ghz overclock with -0.050v voltage offset and stock I can go clear over -0.100v and be stable. -0.100v might not sound like a lot but it can mean 10C in temperatures for sure.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 11, 2012 5:10:45 PM

Custom subterranean loop, lot of work, lot of money but you'll have a cool Pc
:) 
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2012 8:09:01 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Custom subterranean loop, lot of work, lot of money but you'll have a cool Pc
:) 
Moto

I had a wild image of an air conditioning system, basement, 50 feet of piping, a radiator the size of the one in my toyota, custom pump, and don't forget the 55 gallon reservoir.
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
December 11, 2012 8:34:33 PM

Why do you need a 55 gallon reservoir if you have a radiator that large and 50ft of tubing?
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:35:09 PM

IF you have all of that...why not? LoL.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2012 9:45:11 PM

It was an "hypothetical" water cooling system. That would be pretty cool though. Have a four horse electric motor for the water pump, and run it through all kinds of cooling methods and then under the ground into the house and into the PC. Imagine calling someone like geek squad for installation!

"What are these hoses for?"

Then just hand him the CPU block. That would be funny as all getout.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 11, 2012 9:48:32 PM

:-p thats one of the things I love about w/c, you are the tech support :-)
Moto
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
December 11, 2012 9:49:05 PM

Right, I understand where you were going with it, but it would be pretty interesting to see if the sub-ambient temps from the brief trip through the subterranean tubing would be enough to maintain those temps long-term in such a large reservoir of water.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2012 10:09:08 PM

You'd have to have an air conditioned room so the res/rad are in colder temps.. Like a basement sealed off. Air condition the room so they are cold and I'm sure the earth covering the lines would effectively insulate the lines to help keep temperatures at a distance. However it'd take a few minutes for the water/soil to be contingent with one another I'd imagine. It'd be similar to cooling an thermo-induction electric furnace. Cooling system stays quite the distance from the actual furnace and temperatures from the "res" will actually drop from "res" to furnace since for the most part those lines are underground in most applications.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 12, 2012 12:00:46 AM

a long time ago, maybe 6 years or so, a bloke had his rig in a pit in his basement, taht was 6 feet under. Temps never went above ambient...think it went below that too. With my fuzzy memory recollection - I can't verify the link :S

*this threads going off topic I suppose.
Seems thread's solved.
m
l
!