Won't reboot. Can I just upgrade the hard drive?

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 23, 2005 9:24:31 PM

I have a ReplayTV 4508.

A few days ago, it stopped working. I wasn't able to turn it on, so I
unplugged it (and took the phone cord out) and left it that way for 20
minutes. Then I plugged it back in, but the red power light just kept
blinking.

I called customer support, and they said that it's a hard drive
problem. (Big surprise.) They want $149 to fix it, and I'd have to
mail it to them.

So I was thinking, should I just go out, buy a new hard drive, and
replace it myself (and while I'm at it, buy a bigger hard drive)? Are
there instructions on the web as to exactly what I have to buy and how
to do this?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 11:51:37 PM

Ok, that web page tells you how to deal with the situation where you
get the "please wait" screen indefinitely. I'm not even seeing that.
It's not sending any output to my tv screen.

Should I just assume that replacing the hard drive will fix this
problem?
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 12:03:07 AM

http://replaytvupgrade.com/

"copacetic" <davidfinance@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have a ReplayTV 4508.
>
> A few days ago, it stopped working. I wasn't able to turn it on, so I
> unplugged it (and took the phone cord out) and left it that way for 20
> minutes. Then I plugged it back in, but the red power light just kept
> blinking.
>
> I called customer support, and they said that it's a hard drive
> problem. (Big surprise.) They want $149 to fix it, and I'd have to
> mail it to them.
>
> So I was thinking, should I just go out, buy a new hard drive, and
> replace it myself (and while I'm at it, buy a bigger hard drive)? Are
> there instructions on the web as to exactly what I have to buy and how
> to do this?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!

September 24, 2005 3:00:35 PM

>It PROBABLY will. There are a few Replays that won't be fixed with
>that, but most should be.

Excellent, thanks Mark.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 3:37:35 PM

On 23 Sep 2005 19:51:37 -0700, "copacetic" <davidfinance@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Ok, that web page tells you how to deal with the situation where you
>get the "please wait" screen indefinitely. I'm not even seeing that.
>It's not sending any output to my tv screen.
>
>Should I just assume that replacing the hard drive will fix this
>problem?

It PROBABLY will. There are a few Replays that won't be fixed with
that, but most should be.

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 3:53:25 PM

you need to refine your googling skillz...

http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/faq.html
http://www.grandallusion.com/

the latter one even has links to the files you need.
you're set.

!