Starting a Motherboard Manufacturing company

Hello,

I wish to start a motherboard company. Here ae the issues I wish to bring to you:

What should the name be
What do you want to see in the motherboard
Where do you want the motherboard made,( I hope you say USA)
Where do I recriute R&D and Fab people,( colleges, formers?)

I ask you these things because as the consumer, you are values..and other companies do not really ask the consumer what they want.

Below 100% mark up.

I cannot really tell you based on the fact that I have no resources or accounting systems to estimate. I am guessing it usually takes 50 US dollars to manufacture in the USA, so the board should be around 80-90 US dollars direct.

Zeharena

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
This should be interesting, good luck mate. :)

Look at the newer mother boards that are good, and see what you can do to improve that, or even if you could, not exactly duplicate but at least use it as a template.

sentry1

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Not to rain on your parade on your parade mate, but you're biting off a big chunk there! You're going to need a serious R&D team of Electrical Engineers who will need to burn a LOT of hours designing your silicon before you can even consider offering something.

They'll need to be experienced with CAD, a god-awful amount of high-level mathematics, computer science, quantum architecture, and... well you get the idea.

ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Definintley gets ideas from everyday hardcore overclockers and enthusiasts as well as recruiting people from college. I would really say USA, and if so go with USA made Ram as a base ( MUSHKIN ). I would say as well there is more profit from AMD based computers because of such lower prices for components and people aren't scared away by money to do another board, cpu, ram upgrade. Thats my ideas, wish you well and good luck!

That is the problem. IT and computation device users do not want to pay more for the sticker that says ,"Made in the USA". It is too much and psychologically speaking, a terrible marketing idea. Yes, I will make all the motherboards in the USA, but the need for a cheaper device that WORKS, is what I am aiming at. The end user deserves a top quality board that is sharp, dependable and can be used with virtually anything. All it needs is some Power from the USA!

ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
yeah, thats the problem with america anymore is there is no more pride when something says MADE IN USA. Good Luck, I will have my eyes open. Keep in touch, what name are you thinking of? Maybe America Motherboards heh.

Name BFGM.
You'd need a lot of capital.
The microelectronics people are better 'stolen' recruited from a competitor.
Labor and production is easier overseas; a/k/a China or Taiwan. Unless profits don't matter to your partners or shareholders. Unfortunately, nobody cares where it's made.

MOBO's themselves are easy to fabricate, the real cost is in the assembly automation equipment; the chips/controllers/etc/etc for the most part are purchased.
The next biggest costs are the purchase quantities, startup overhead and advertising.

There are other less profitable ways to get started. Also, I would start with making the best MOBO versus the cheapest; easier for startup and production limitations; get a NAME out there that beats the competition; opportunity cost for NAME and REPUTATION.

Good Luck!