Sign in with
Your question

Starting a Motherboard Manufacturing company

Last response: in Motherboards
October 10, 2010 3:24:56 AM

Hello,

I wish to start a motherboard company. Here ae the issues I wish to bring to you:

What should the name be
What do you want to see in the motherboard
Where do you want the motherboard made,( I hope you say USA)
Where do I recriute R&D and Fab people,( colleges, formers?)

I ask you these things because as the consumer, you are values..and other companies do not really ask the consumer what they want.
a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2010 3:55:49 AM

They also don't normally ask the consumer "how".
a c 1097 V Motherboard
October 10, 2010 4:10:29 AM

And the price is going to be?
Related resources
October 10, 2010 4:33:04 AM

Below 100% mark up.

I cannot really tell you based on the fact that I have no resources or accounting systems to estimate. I am guessing it usually takes 50 US dollars to manufacture in the USA, so the board should be around 80-90 US dollars direct.
October 10, 2010 9:02:02 AM

This should be interesting, good luck mate. (:

Look at the newer mother boards that are good, and see what you can do to improve that, or even if you could, not exactly duplicate but at least use it as a template.
October 10, 2010 9:33:34 AM

Not to rain on your parade on your parade mate, but you're biting off a big chunk there! You're going to need a serious R&D team of Electrical Engineers who will need to burn a LOT of hours designing your silicon before you can even consider offering something.

They'll need to be experienced with CAD, a god-awful amount of high-level mathematics, computer science, quantum architecture, and... well you get the idea.

October 10, 2010 2:32:14 PM

Definintley gets ideas from everyday hardcore overclockers and enthusiasts as well as recruiting people from college. I would really say USA, and if so go with USA made Ram as a base ( MUSHKIN ). I would say as well there is more profit from AMD based computers because of such lower prices for components and people aren't scared away by money to do another board, cpu, ram upgrade. Thats my ideas, wish you well and good luck!
October 12, 2010 12:02:54 AM

Thanks guys.
Keep the feedback coming and encourage others to post ideas.
October 12, 2010 12:49:38 AM

good stuff man, lets us all know when and if you get a company started! I would buy USA all the way!
a c 1097 V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 2:11:34 AM

If only the manufacturing costs were the same! The reason we can buy feature rich motherboards for $130-200 is because they are made in China.
October 12, 2010 2:40:35 AM

True, but the reliability is stupid! Plus, over that, you get cheap motherboards that possibly do not even work or made by a slave driven company.

Does Foxxcon ring a bell?
October 12, 2010 2:46:53 AM

exactly. I would pay no more than 50 dollars more, but I would pay extra for USA! If the company made a good product of course :) 
October 12, 2010 2:50:18 AM

That is the problem. IT and computation device users do not want to pay more for the sticker that says ,"Made in the USA". It is too much and psychologically speaking, a terrible marketing idea. Yes, I will make all the motherboards in the USA, but the need for a cheaper device that WORKS, is what I am aiming at. The end user deserves a top quality board that is sharp, dependable and can be used with virtually anything. All it needs is some Power from the USA!
October 12, 2010 3:18:24 AM

yeah, thats the problem with america anymore is there is no more pride when something says MADE IN USA. Good Luck, I will have my eyes open. Keep in touch, what name are you thinking of? Maybe America Motherboards heh.
October 12, 2010 3:22:19 AM

Before this thread, I has a CPU one. I had an idea of a company, "Canis Lupus Semiconductors", only it will be called, "Canis Lupus Technologies". What do you think. Any other good names?
October 12, 2010 3:41:47 AM

C.L.S or C.L.T? I'm not sure heh, good luck. How soon are you expecting to get this started?
October 12, 2010 4:11:33 AM

Around 2012. Maybe Q2 2013.
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 4:18:11 AM

Name BFGM.
You'd need a lot of capital.
The microelectronics people are better 'stolen' recruited from a competitor.
Labor and production is easier overseas; a/k/a China or Taiwan. Unless profits don't matter to your partners or shareholders. Unfortunately, nobody cares where it's made.

MOBO's themselves are easy to fabricate, the real cost is in the assembly automation equipment; the chips/controllers/etc/etc for the most part are purchased.
The next biggest costs are the purchase quantities, startup overhead and advertising.

There are other less profitable ways to get started. Also, I would start with making the best MOBO versus the cheapest; easier for startup and production limitations; get a NAME out there that beats the competition; opportunity cost for NAME and REPUTATION.

Good Luck!

October 12, 2010 4:27:14 AM

What does BFGM stand for?
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 4:35:03 AM

Ever Play Doom? Big F-----g Gun MOBO.
October 12, 2010 4:39:00 AM

Sorry. Probably not my era.
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 4:43:06 AM

BFG 9001
October 12, 2010 4:48:49 AM

Yup, not my time. :D 
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 4:50:35 AM

Most Gamer know what BFG stands for, even my teenager and I'm not that old.
October 12, 2010 4:53:54 AM

Wait, you mean the first person shooter Doom?
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 4:57:20 AM

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/BFG9000

Yes, and Big Freaking Gun can be used. It's cool sounding. It too was a coveted weapon - it destroyed the 'Bad Guys.' You get it now?!
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 4:59:34 AM

dogman_1234 said:
Wait, you mean the first person shooter Doom?
If your memory is this bad already, just think how functional you'll be at 30 :) 

October 12, 2010 5:01:00 AM

:D 

Nice one.

Anyways. Back to business.
October 12, 2010 11:27:33 PM

Okay. Well, anyone else. If you guys could, round up a bunch of forum members and have them come over here with some input.

Thanks.
October 13, 2010 3:00:24 AM

Make them look like MSI, cost like Gigabyte, and overclock like Asus and you'll be set! :lol: 
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2010 6:33:19 AM

Good to see your getting some constructive input on this one Dog, if I can just specify upfront, I want all my sockets on the rear of the board for C.M. ok? :) 
20+4, 8pin cpu, sata's, and any casefan headers, maybe even the I/O sockets too, really clean up the front of the plate :p 
All the best man,
Moto
October 13, 2010 9:06:01 AM

As for the name: Loki/Thor/Odin

Definitely Made and Manufactured in North America. I would build the plant in/around a great technical University, and, very important, try to have a solid working/R&D relationship to said Uni.

Remember, American built and designed. Build-quality should be main concern (I would make the new ASUS Sabertooth and the MSI Mobo's the goal). As for the layout, there isn't that much to do, just keep it simple, clean and make sure access to all components isn't compromised.
October 13, 2010 10:25:11 AM

I suggest for name: start with something that easy to remember. "Waterbuffer". Sounds cool?
October 13, 2010 10:30:11 AM

Northwolfe said:
As for the name: Loki/Thor/Odin

Definitely Made and Manufactured in North America. I would build the plant in/around a great technical University, and, very important, try to have a solid working/R&D relationship to said Uni.

Remember, American built and designed. Build-quality should be main concern (I would make the new ASUS Sabertooth and the MSI Mobo's the goal). As for the layout, there isn't that much to do, just keep it simple, clean and make sure access to all components isn't compromised.

I agree. Also get rid of legacy stuff, or make it better. At least for the high end. Replace PATA with say CAT5, or more ______ ports. Make the lay out good, and get rid of excess PCI slots so you can have good spacing. Also, dont be excessive, some motherboard have 6 PCI 2.0 slots. What can you do with all that??? I dont see the point of more than 4, but really more than 2 or 3. Use high quality components, and make it overclocker friendly. Power efficiency and high quality components is something ive seen MSI do really well with lately, and Asus has had some of the better overclockers, so learn from them a little in those areas. For RD, id get half geniuses from the nearest congregation of geniuses, and then get half overclocking enthusiasts. Its nice when the RD people get the board to use 12% less power, but it really comes down to the enthusiasts if they will buy it or not. So they have to like it. Also, US made is good, could be a selling point, and make the boards look nice. I swear, gigabyte boards used to be about as ugly as possible, and when i saw a MSI board and a gigabyte board with equal features, i always got the MSI because they looked better :lol: 
October 13, 2010 12:06:31 PM

^ yeah. MSI do have some good looking boards.

Stick with the blue and black!
October 13, 2010 6:18:50 PM

Thanks. Keep up the ideas and keep posting.
October 13, 2010 7:22:50 PM

make it in the USA and i'd buy it.. i knwo most people don't care where thier stuff comes from but some of us do. often i can't get everythign made in usa cause there isn't any options

as for actual suggestions i'd actually love for somebody to make a legacy line.. like maybe a old school game port, and multiple ide controllers , possibly even with older cpu sockets as replacments in older machines for those of us who still ike fring up old games that run on say windows 95/98 only

also the opposite modern board with usb 3.0 headers, no legacy stuff like ide controllers or floppy connector just sata/pcie/e-sata/usb 3.0 with evtreme overclocking in mind
October 15, 2010 7:27:43 PM

Update:

I have not heard form you guys. I just want to check up on everyone.

Dogman.
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2010 12:23:22 AM

If you are going to be building boards, PLEASE kill IDE and VGA and Serial ports and Floppy. I and any modern person have no use for them. There is no reason manufacturers should still integrate them on the board.

FYI: You WILL need a licensing/OEM deal with AMD and Intel for their chip sets and this ain't cheap at ALL. From what I have herd, Intel won't sell you chipsets directly with out a license agreement.

Also realize that trying to get stuff made in the US for mass production (esp. electronics) is going to cut VERY, VERY deeply in to your profits. There is NO WAY your company will survive if it isn't profitable even if you don't care about profits. There will be VERY little advantage from producing in the US compared to a place like Taiwan,etc. Setting up a new FAB is also going to cost you a ton more here than opening it in China/Taiwan. At the end of the day, the quality of the MOSFETS, caps, VREGS, matter MORE than the quality of labor. There is very little manual labor involved at a motherboard manufacturing plant. From what I remember from an article Toms did a few years ago is, the ONLY part humans are involved is in QC and fitting SATA, IDE,etc sockets to the board. The soldering,etc are done by bots.
October 19, 2010 3:35:39 AM

Update:

I have not heard form everyone yet. Is everyone still on board with this. I am.

My first question is: What does the Motherboard need to have as standard to you, the consumer?
October 19, 2010 3:54:01 AM

Maybe inputs ports for home theater surround sound. I'm talking surround sound ports that you can use on your everyday home theater.
October 19, 2010 4:07:04 AM

Like as in what kind? that i'm not sure. I am sure each company has a different speaker jack. or maybe even an input straight to the surround system. Not sure, I'm not that smart :0
October 19, 2010 4:11:02 AM

...you are too... :D 
October 19, 2010 4:12:23 AM

Like an HDMI interface? How about multiple TV's? :D 
October 19, 2010 6:37:14 AM

Well, building HTPC system is quite different than gaming system. Motherboard used in gaming are more high-tech than HTPC system. Things like O.C RAM or processor is not needed. Just standard as long as it provides clear graphics in high resolution and perhaps blu-ray audio sound card.
October 19, 2010 7:17:23 AM

Personaly I would like to see a motherboard basicly like this with a few changes, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....

1. 4 - pci express 2.0 x16 all running at 16x when all in use
2. 1 - pci express 8x
3. 2 - pci express 1x
4. 2 - regular pci

and I want all the the 16x slots spaced in such a way that there is room for the fans to get decent air flow. With all of that im expecting it to be a extended atx board pluss i could see paying about $300 give or take.
October 19, 2010 7:52:05 AM

4 PCI-E 2.0 X16? Are you plan to go THAT high-end gaming? That means Quad-SLI and that needs power 1364 W. It's enough to power a small town y'know?
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 12:19:59 PM

^ lol.
Quote:
I want all the the 16x slots spaced in such a way that there is room for the fans to get decent air flow.

That is HIGHLY impractical. At this stage, you will most likely need to go WCing. Just extending the board is not that simple. You have to take in to account standard board layouts AND the latency caused by the extra length of copper traces.
!