Sign in with
Your question

Does adding ram in the ram slots of a laptop computer increase performance of th

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2010 4:35:10 PM

I'm in the process of shopping for a notebook/laptop computer to replace my bulky desktop. Now I've been trying to distinguish the pros and cons with getting a dedicated or an integrated graphics card; I do play some games in my spare time so this does act as a contributing factor for me. Now I'm aware that integrated graphics cards leech the system memory and dedicated graphics cards have it's own memory. BUT let's say you had a laptop with 8 GB of ram with an integrated graphics card, and you had a laptop with 4 GB of ram with a 1GB dedicated graphics card; which one would run games more smoothly? Any other advice would be welcome... thanks!
a c 79 U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 4:40:31 PM

the integrated will be much slower no matter how much ram there is in the system. the ram is just like fuel tank in a car and the gpu chip is the engine, you cant make a 1.1L yaris go any faster with extra fuel in the back...
February 14, 2010 4:53:44 PM

Quote:
the ram is just like fuel tank in a car and the gpu chip is the engine, you cant make a 1.1L yaris go any faster with extra fuel in the back...

Excellent analogy.
!