1 SATA 500GB HDD
1 SATA 22x DVD-DL/RW
XFX HD4870 512MB (stock speeds)
2 LED Fans 80mm + 120mm

Thanks.
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 9:59:45 AM

These are the official power requirements for your graphics card:

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

This applies to the whole system not just the GPU.

The general opinion of OCZ PSUs is that they are inconsistent. Some are good, others can be not so good. Corsair, Seasonic, and the newer Antec models are the way to go for a solid reliable PSU.

You need to think about whether you will want to Crossfire in the future. If not, then a good 500W PSU from the brands listed above would do you. If you are planning to Crossfire or want a little more head-room then go for a 600W to 700W PSU.
May 2, 2010 10:05:42 AM

Thanks for the reply but,
i might crossfire , im not sure , and i dont want less than 600w (for headroom) but all those brands are out of my price range :( 
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 10:14:41 AM

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair 650TX:

The Corsair is actually cheaper than the OCZ here. The only thing is that Corsair isn't modular but I wasn't sure how important a factor this was for you? The 650HX is a modular PSU but costs a fair bit more:

The PSU isn't the place you want to try and save money on since it obviously provides power to the entire system and you want this to be as solid and reliable as possible.

a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 10:27:36 AM

The OCZ you mentioned does actually achieve favourable technical reviews:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/936/1

In general, however OCZ are not renowned for being particularly consistent with their PSUs. I'm not saying they don't make good PSUs just that they don't have the reputation of Corsair etc. and to my eyes, you want the best PSU you can get.
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 10:45:42 AM

I would buy the Corsair over the Modxstream any day....

May 2, 2010 10:49:56 AM

Modular isnt THAT important but its a nice feature , but surely going for a branded psu with SOME good revies is ok? and i like the 650TX , but i cant find it in the UK.
May 2, 2010 10:50:56 AM

*reviews
May 2, 2010 12:20:58 PM

ok thankss alot , much appreciated :D 
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 1:52:09 PM

If you go to the OCZ web site and have a look at their power supply section you will see that their power supplies are divided into three categories - mainstream, high performance, and maximum performance. The mainstream psu's are not designed for hardcore gaming. At the other end there are only two psu's in the maximum performance section. Those are the new Z series 850 watt and 1,000 watt power supplies. The 600 watt power supply you mentioned in your original post is in the middle section.

I normally mention that all of the OCZ 700 watt power supplies have shortcomings. OCZ left out features that one would expect in a high quality power supply. That's why comments are posted about the lack of consistent quality. To be fair, there are other brands which are also inconsistent in quality. In some instances the companies have made improvements in the quality of their newer psu's but the older models of lesser quality are still available.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. In addition, some of the newer models have earned a gold certification for energy efficiency.
May 2, 2010 3:33:18 PM

So let me get this straight , u guys are saying the OCZ wouldnt suit my needs?
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 4:34:15 PM

No, the OCZ and the Corsair would both suit your needs as far as power output goes. It's just that Corsair are known for consistently better quality PSUs than OCZ are. Hope this clarifies!
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 5:19:09 PM

^5 +1 what moody89 said.

In terms of overall quality, stability, reliability, and performance Corsair is a better choice.

The reason I mention consistent quality is to avoid misleading readers. Let's say Brand X has a brand new X-1000 model that is a high quality unit. The new model has earned a gold certification for energy efficiency. Competent technical reviews are extremely favorable. That may cause some readers to think if the X-1000 is the greatest thing since sliced bread, then other models are just as good. The actual truth may be that other Brand X models are low budget, low quality psu's of questionable performance and value. It would be a disservice to readers if we didn't point that out.

Some companies have a bad reputation simply because they started off on the wrong foot. They initially offered mediocre psu's instead of quality units. Some companies may have taken steps to improve the quality of their newer offerings. Despite the improvements it is difficult to overcome a bad reputation.
May 2, 2010 5:21:28 PM

so Branded ocz psu's are as good as non-branded psu's?
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 5:31:06 PM

itzmax said:
so Branded ocz psu's are as good as non-branded psu's?

They mean that some units are good and some are not inconsistent.

Just wanted to say if you can get a Corsair unit for the same price or little more then they are worth it.
Otherwise OCZ PSU will also suffice.

a c 248 ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 5:54:02 PM

iTzMax - The answer to your question is it depends. If you mean no brand name, plain, generic, OEM power supplies that are sometimes bundled with pc cases, then I would say the OCZ power supplies are probably better.
May 2, 2010 5:56:13 PM

yea , i mean the ocz cant be that bad can it?
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 6:10:33 PM

Compared to those PSUs, yes the OCZ are likely to be better. However, PSUs are one of the most fundamentally important, but often most neglected parts of a computer system. If they do go bad then they have been known to take other components down with them too.

I guess you can compare a PSU to tyres on a car. Everybody neglects them, whilst paying more attention to engines etc. but in reality they are the only thing that keeps your car on the road. Same can be said for a PSU.

Honestly, you would probably be ok with the OCZ 90% of the time. But what about that 10% where something does go wrong. To my eyes, its better to be 100% than to end up regretting that 10%.

Obviously everyone has a budget and nobody likes spending money needlessly, but in your case the Corsair model is actually cheaper than the OCZ so it would make sense to opt for that.
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 6:11:57 PM

No, not that bad.
May 2, 2010 6:20:15 PM

moody89 said:
Compared to those PSUs, yes the OCZ are likely to be better. However, PSUs are one of the most fundamentally important, but often most neglected parts of a computer system. If they do go bad then they have been known to take other components down with them too.

I guess you can compare a PSU to tyres on a car. Everybody neglects them, whilst paying more attention to engines etc. but in reality they are the only thing that keeps your car on the road. Same can be said for a PSU.

Honestly, you would probably be ok with the OCZ 90% of the time. But what about that 10% where something does go wrong. To my eyes, its better to be 100% than to end up regretting that 10%.

Obviously everyone has a budget and nobody likes spending money needlessly, but in your case the Corsair model is actually cheaper than the OCZ so it would make sense to opt for that.

Yes i know its cheaper BUT im limited to where i can order from , im only 15 , my stepdad orders stuff from ebay nowhere else , im not buyin my psu from ebay so i have to buy it from a shop , novatech is the best in the UK , i have one locally and there the OCZ is cheaper :S
May 2, 2010 6:31:59 PM

i cant get it from there my parents refuse to buy anywhere else online apart from ebay :S
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 6:36:06 PM

Ok mate, you'll have to get what you can get then. Good luck :) 
May 2, 2010 6:39:05 PM

Well you said an OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w will be ok 90% of the time , soo looks like im going for that :D  , All your help is greatly appreciated , you must of gone out out of your way with all that research :) 
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 6:48:26 PM

itzmax said:
Well you said an OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w will be ok 90% of the time , soo looks like im going for that :D  , All your help is greatly appreciated , you must of gone out out of your way with all that research :) 

Just don't quote me on it ;)  No problems at all, good luck and happy computing!
May 2, 2010 6:50:01 PM

and you , Thanks
!