Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I've been recently interested in building a computer.

Last response: in Motherboards
October 10, 2010 8:05:00 AM

Hello! :hello: 
I'm Zeharena, and I've recently become interested in building computers from scratch, mind you putting the components together, not making my own. :p 

I've been looking and looking and looking... and I haven't been able to find a new mother board (2009+) that is still in stock or 'active'. I've been wanting to buy a number of items to put together myself, and I first need a motherboard of course.

A motherboard compatible with;

Powersupply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0GHz 12MB Quad Core

RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 DDR3 1333Mhz 8GB (2x4gb)

GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 465 1024MB GDDR5

I would also love if someone suggested a nice case for me to put it all in, too. :D 

Please and thank you in advance! :hello: 

-Zeharena
October 10, 2010 8:22:24 AM

Zeharena said:
Hello! :hello: 
I'm Zeharena, and I've recently become interested in building computers from scratch, mind you putting the components together, not making my own. :p 

I've been looking and looking and looking... and I haven't been able to find a new mother board (2009+) that is still in stock or 'active'. I've been wanting to buy a number of items to put together myself, and I first need a motherboard of course.

A motherboard compatible with;

Powersupply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0GHz 12MB Quad Core

GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 465 1024MB GDDR5

I would also love if someone suggested a nice case for me to put it all in, too. :D 

Please and thank you in advance! :hello: 

-Zeharena

The Core 2 processors and it's socket are almost entirely obsolete. The Core 2 Extreme gets smoked by the Core i5 and Core i7, and the newer chips cost much less than the Core 2 Extreme editions.

You could have saved yourself a TON of money by getting a Core i7 920, and a value X58 board, a decent CPU cooler and then overclocked it.

It's becoming hard to find LGA775 socket motherboards retail since they are becoming obsolete.

The Core 2 Extreme QX9650 gets smoked by the Core i7 920, even at stock clock speeds. The Core i7 920 costs $200, while the Core 2 Extreme is well over $750.
m
l
October 10, 2010 8:24:31 AM

Thanks v. much mate. I haven't bought anything yet, as I'm kinda just snooping around (been doing it all day.) I will take everything into consideration and I'll reply with a newer setup, if you don't mind of course.

Cheers.
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2010 8:30:55 AM

Zeharena said:
Thanks v. much mate. I haven't bought anything yet, as I'm kinda just snooping around (been doing it all day.) I will take everything into consideration and I'll reply with a newer setup, if you don't mind of course.

Cheers.

How much are you willing to spend? What are you going to be using your PC for?

I can put together a gaming rig for the price you say.
m
l
October 10, 2010 8:38:18 AM

Well I'm just starting up, I'm quite the newbie at this stuff.

It's a gaming rig, about 3 years old, starting to get slow.

I'm considering upgrading my rig, then selling off the parts to buy another rig to sell, rinse repeat to get some money together.

I've just been going around Nvidia sites and Intel sites looking for good parts to stuff into a computer, but hopefully this site can open up my eyes a bit. I've got roughly 1,000 to spend, assuming I can turn around and sell it for 1,500, I hope I'm not being greedy, eh?

My rig atm is;

CPU: DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3000 MHz (9 x 333)
GPU: Nvidia GSO 9600 512mb
PSU: 500Watt -Can't remember the brand-
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L (3 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHZ

My target computer would be something like...

That's what I've been snooping around for.

Motherboard: ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution

Case: Cooler Master...

PSU: Corsair HX1000 1000w modular power supply

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme 965

GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 480 1536MB GDDR5

CPU: $1250
Case: $100
M B: $350
RAM: $250
GPU: $600
P S: $200

ALL: $1750
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2010 10:24:55 AM

Ok, that builds better but for the purposes of building and selling on, your going to lose a lot of money I'm afraid.
The psu is way overkill for that system and modular units add significant cost, The only people who 'should' use Mod psu's are cable freaks like me,and rich folks who dont mind the extra cost
Four Gig of ram is plenty for a gaming system at the moment, only people who use heavy editing/modelling programs really benefit from any more ram
Im sure that i7 965 has a lowercost/same performance equivalent as well, but I'm not an intel buff so not familiar with their line.
Graphics card,touch on the heavy side for a mainline gaming rig imo, a 460/470 would be fine
The problem with building topline Pc's for other people to hopefully buy is that they may not appreciate the .00001% performance that a card/chip/ram offers and so refuse to pay the extra $300 it costs, they just wont justify it to themselves,
If you want to build systems specifically to sell on, build ones that will just about do the job at the price level, and offer your services to build custom units, then the client decides what they want (Right or wrong) and you build it for them, no risk to your bank balance that way.
But I know that others on here will be able to build a similar performing system to the one you outlined for about $1200,
I'm not getting at you, please dont misunderstand my comments as that, its just a good idea gone about slightly wrong, and hopefully we on Toms can help you go about it a better way, making you more successful in your enterprise and having a happier building life (Damn I sound like an advert lol)
Moto
m
l
October 10, 2010 10:34:14 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Ok, that builds better but for the purposes of building and selling on, your going to lose a lot of money I'm afraid.
The psu is way overkill for that system and modular units add significant cost, The only people who 'should' use Mod psu's are cable freaks like me,and rich folks who dont mind the extra cost
Four Gig of ram is plenty for a gaming system at the moment, only people who use heavy editing/modelling programs really benefit from any more ram
Im sure that i7 965 has a lowercost/same performance equivalent as well, but I'm not an intel buff so not familiar with their line.
Graphics card,touch on the heavy side for a mainline gaming rig imo, a 460/470 would be fine
The problem with building topline Pc's for other people to hopefully buy is that they may not appreciate the .00001% performance that a card/chip/ram offers and so refuse to pay the extra $300 it costs, they just wont justify it to themselves,
If you want to build systems specifically to sell on, build ones that will just about do the job at the price level, and offer your services to build custom units, then the client decides what they want (Right or wrong) and you build it for them, no risk to your bank balance that way.
But I know that others on here will be able to build a similar performing system to the one you outlined for about $1200,
I'm not getting at you, please dont misunderstand my comments as that, its just a good idea gone about slightly wrong, and hopefully we on Toms can help you go about it a better way, making you more successful in your enterprise and having a happier building life (Damn I sound like an advert lol)
Moto

Thanks for taking the time to write me that story dude.
Lol yeah, it sounded a tad like an advert but no sweat, I'm glad you're helping.
I'm a complete newbie at this, purely relying off of what websites say and the manufacturers websites etc. So new in fact, that... I started thinking about it, today. :D 

So basically, I should put a message out there, ''You tell me what you want, I'll chuck the stuff in, you pay X for it, and we're all happy assuming my rig works?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2010 11:29:32 AM

Ok, the way I did it (Way way back in january this year)

I needed a new pc, sick of paying ppl to build for me.
looked into building a pc, learned parts I needed.
built one at a price I could afford. refurbished my old one and sold it to a mate.
Refurbished a couple more units I found myself being 'donated'
Built my Gf a pc for her birthday, same specs as mine.
all the time I was also on Toms a lot, reading,watching posts, learning,
I now build pc's for friends and co-workers, and have a business cleaning pc's in peoples businesses
but yes, you start off building a few to get the idea of system building, and more importantly (Imo) faultfinding, then let people know your building pc's (even just drop it in a conversation as your hobby) and someone within a month will come up and say, 'oh I hear you build pc's', and go from there,
one idea is to have three builds outlined ready, a cheap one for surfing only, a mid one for reasonable gaming and a topline system,
I found that when I gave my list out, the bottom line pc was ignored (people dont often want the 'basic' option, it makes them seem or feel cheap)
and couldn't justify/stretch budget to the topline one, (I dont need a 64 core beast with 12 gfx cards and 128GB of ram :p )
so they usually ask about the mid-range one, which sneakily, is the one I wanted to build them all along.
I then tweak that slightly to reflect new gfx cards etc that are out and go from there
I got into this kinda by accident but am loving every new quote and build, I also hold a nightshift job as my main btw so I balance this easily ( its not ready yet,waiting on parts from xxx) :p 
you give them options, (they dont know what they want most of the time,other than a decent working pc) talk them through it a bit, :
now cost, you can go a few ways on this,
you can show them what you pay for parts and what you add on as your 'fee'
you can just say 'it will cost xxx much'
I show them a system and then say an equivalent system on Dell/cybershower/alienware would cost you XXXXX much, i'll build it for xxxx

but your basic premise of ''You tell me what you want, I'll chuck the stuff in, you pay X for it, and we're all happy assuming my rig works? " is good with an alteration or two imo, YOU tell THEM what they want based on what they need the rig for,
they tell you they want a heavy video editing/modelling system, you dont try to build them a triplecore gaming rig hehe,
and no 'assuming it works' either, theyre paying you to build this, you make sure it works before it leaves your house/workshop/garage, word of mouth will either get you more business, or put you out of business.

other people will posibly chip in with more ideas/tips/help but I'm off shopping with the Gf now, /sigh, chores hehe
Hope this helps you a bit man, but experience is the best teacher imo
Moto
October 10, 2010 11:49:08 AM

The Antec 1200 and Coolermaster HAF 932 and HAF X are very nice cases.
m
l
October 10, 2010 12:09:40 PM

go for an i7 950 cpu its at a very low price at the moment and should do more than enough, you should get 6gb of ram if you go for it as it is tri channel 3x2gb gskill modules should be fine, best x58 motherboard price vs performance in my opinion is the gigabyte x58 ud3r, the haf x is an awesome case, if you want a gtx 480 hell go for it, its a monster
m
l
October 11, 2010 10:17:31 AM

Best answer selected by Zeharena.
m
l
October 11, 2010 10:19:23 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Ok, the way I did it (Way way back in january this year)

I needed a new pc, sick of paying ppl to build for me.
looked into building a pc, learned parts I needed.
built one at a price I could afford. refurbished my old one and sold it to a mate.
Refurbished a couple more units I found myself being 'donated'
Built my Gf a pc for her birthday, same specs as mine.
all the time I was also on Toms a lot, reading,watching posts, learning,
I now build pc's for friends and co-workers, and have a business cleaning pc's in peoples businesses
but yes, you start off building a few to get the idea of system building, and more importantly (Imo) faultfinding, then let people know your building pc's (even just drop it in a conversation as your hobby) and someone within a month will come up and say, 'oh I hear you build pc's', and go from there,
one idea is to have three builds outlined ready, a cheap one for surfing only, a mid one for reasonable gaming and a topline system,
I found that when I gave my list out, the bottom line pc was ignored (people dont often want the 'basic' option, it makes them seem or feel cheap)
and couldn't justify/stretch budget to the topline one, (I dont need a 64 core beast with 12 gfx cards and 128GB of ram :p )
so they usually ask about the mid-range one, which sneakily, is the one I wanted to build them all along.
I then tweak that slightly to reflect new gfx cards etc that are out and go from there
I got into this kinda by accident but am loving every new quote and build, I also hold a nightshift job as my main btw so I balance this easily ( its not ready yet,waiting on parts from xxx) :p 
you give them options, (they dont know what they want most of the time,other than a decent working pc) talk them through it a bit, :
now cost, you can go a few ways on this,
you can show them what you pay for parts and what you add on as your 'fee'
you can just say 'it will cost xxx much'
I show them a system and then say an equivalent system on Dell/cybershower/alienware would cost you XXXXX much, i'll build it for xxxx

but your basic premise of ''You tell me what you want, I'll chuck the stuff in, you pay X for it, and we're all happy assuming my rig works? " is good with an alteration or two imo, YOU tell THEM what they want based on what they need the rig for,
they tell you they want a heavy video editing/modelling system, you dont try to build them a triplecore gaming rig hehe,
and no 'assuming it works' either, theyre paying you to build this, you make sure it works before it leaves your house/workshop/garage, word of mouth will either get you more business, or put you out of business.

other people will posibly chip in with more ideas/tips/help but I'm off shopping with the Gf now, /sigh, chores hehe
Hope this helps you a bit man, but experience is the best teacher imo
Moto

Thanks bro, means a lot you've taken this time out. I'd buy ya a beer if I was of age and knew where you lived. Hahaha.

You've done me a good deed my good sir. Take care of yourself and I hope to hear from you later on perhaps.
Is there a friend system on this?
m
l
October 11, 2010 10:28:34 AM

sir philus said:
go for an i7 950 cpu its at a very low price at the moment and should do more than enough, you should get 6gb of ram if you go for it as it is tri channel 3x2gb gskill modules should be fine, best x58 motherboard price vs performance in my opinion is the gigabyte x58 ud3r, the haf x is an awesome case, if you want a gtx 480 hell go for it, its a monster

Cheers Sir Philus, I've been looking for a decent MOBO for a while and I think that'll do. I'm looking forward to my first creation!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2010 6:26:18 PM

All the best with it man,
We're here when you hit any trouble on it :) 
Moto
m
l
Related resources
!