Your question

Windows won't start after RAM upgrade

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 10, 2010 8:24:50 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a very nasty problem which can't seem to be helped:
Friday I thought, let's upgrade my RAM. I always had 1 gig of 667mhz DDR2 RAM, but that wasn't enough for my purposes. So I bought another card, also 667mhz, also 1gig, also from Corsair, just like the RAM card that already was in my desktop.

I put it in, but when I start my pc, I get the normal PB dark purple boot screen, then the normal black screen, but then....My screen turns black and my pc reboots, then I get the option to do startup repair or start windows normally, I tried both, when i click the first it says "windows is loading files" then i get back o the options screen i started at. When i lick the second, my system reboots. I also tried booting from the repair disc, but t also says "windows is loading files" and then reboots.

I checked if the card was damaged but no, they both work properly in every slot seperatly, just not together. PLease, what should i do, return the card and continue with 1 G, or maybe get 1 2Gig card?? or is there a way to fix this?

Some pc specs of mine:
Intel pentium D 2.8 Ghz
Corsair 667mhz DDR2 RAM
Asus ENGT220 512mb DDR3 videocard
Only 2 RAM slots
RC 415 motherboard
PSU: 250 watts

Cn someone help me, if ya need more specs just ask me,
Thanks
a b } Memory
October 10, 2010 10:29:35 AM

are the modules EXACTLY matched?
same voltage requirements? same timings?
it may be that the two are just different enough to make a difference,
Personally I'd return the new 1Gb and buy a 2Gb stick, if that works with your old stick fine, if not you still ahve the 2Gb you wanted and can sell the 1Gb on to someone
Moto
October 10, 2010 2:53:52 PM

One thing you might try is to install one DIMM at a time,
and run CPU-Z to obtain the SPD options for each stick.

Then, install the DIMM with the slowest latency settings,
and manually override AUTO in the BIOS, to force those settings
manually.

Then, try adding the second DIMM which should be forced
to run at the slower latency settings required by the
first DIMM.

My guess is that your system is fouling when it attempts
to operate in dual-channel mode, but the 2 DIMMs are
not electrically identical.

MRFS
Related resources
October 10, 2010 3:00:07 PM

Here's another clue:

http://www.bonanza.com/booths/autoscanbuy/items/ECS_RC4...

Supports PC2-3200 (400 MHz), PC-4200 (533 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs

If that spec is correct, you will also need to down-clock your
DRAM frequency, again by overriding AUTO in the BIOS and
setting that frequency manually to DDR2-533.

Apparently, your motherboard does not support DDR2-667
(if the specs above are correct).

Here's another clue:

Memory Single-channel memory architecture

So, evidently your motherboard does not operate
in dual-channel mode either.

Lastly, this one concerns me too:

Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB

Your system may require "system-specific" RAM.

MRFS
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 10, 2010 5:24:36 PM

Thanks for replying,

I checked with CPU-Z, and the 2 cards are exactly the same,
I would like to try down-clocking it though.
I'm new to that so can you help me with the procedure?

Basically I""m going to underclock it from 667 mhz to 533.
The only question is how?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 10, 2010 6:17:26 PM

Hi,

I looked into my BIOS and i could acces the BIOS setup with both RAM cards in.
Now here's the thing, when I have both cards in, it says: extended memory 2048mb
but it also says Single channel, even when i have 2 cards in. So...
does that mean it doesn't support dual channel, or is there a way o initialize dual channel, a way to select it.
Or should i buy that 1 2Gig RAM card???

Thanks
October 10, 2010 6:56:45 PM

Firstly, I'd download a copy of Memtest86, burn that to a bootable CD and run that when you restart your system. Run with one stick at a time if you're having issues with stability. This will test your memory for errors, just leave it running for several hours and any errors will be appear if you have any. If your system works fine with just one stick then it's unlikely you have damaged any other components in your PC which was my first inclination so that's good news at least!

I'll have a nose through your motherboard manual in a sec and check if dual-channel memory is supported etc. so I'll get back to you then. Try the above in the meanwhile though. Good luck!
October 10, 2010 7:37:23 PM

Checked the relevant info for your motherboard and it does support Dual-Channel memory. You need two matched pairs installed in DIMMs 1 and 2 to operate under dual-channel. It may be worth resetting your BIOS to optimised defaults. This will return it to factory settings since something may be forcing it to operate in single channel mode.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 10, 2010 7:40:49 PM

I don't know how much I can thank you all for helping me, I can't say I don't know my way arounrd with computers, but this all is just a bit highere leveled.
At first: If my motherboard does not support dual-channel, will that that mean I can't use 2 1 Gig cards to create a 2 gig RAM memory???

And second: I had good hopes for the method of MRFS, but no, I can't seem to change any of these things in my BIOS setup menu. In short, there's no way to underclock, or change any RAM card related stuff in my BIOS menu. I do have to say my pc is i think 4 or 5 years old, don't know if that matters.

Again, can't thank you guys enough for helping me.

PS: how do I reset the BIOS, is it the "default system settings" option. Will it maybe help if i reset my whole windows???
October 10, 2010 7:47:05 PM

I didn't realise at first, but it looks like you're running a Packard Bell system based on your motherboard. The trouble with pre-built systems like this is that they tend to disable you from accessing and changing settings to stop you from accidentally damaging anything. Unofrtunately, this also means it tends to stop you playing with settings that could be important. They assume that the average home user won't need to use these settings. This is the reason why you aren't able to edit your RAM timings, speed etc. from your BIOS.

As I mentioned in my above post however, your board should support dual-channel configs. Try what I mentioned above and get back to us with an update :) 
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 10, 2010 8:15:30 PM

Well i'm back with no good results :( 
Ive clicked "load system defaults" in the BIOS menu, clicked "save & exit" it rebooted, and still didn't work. I went on and checked the BIOS menu again and even with the two cards in it said "single channel". I even swapped the crads from slot, and it still didn't work :( 

P.S. Yea, it's a PB istart 9130, it's sort of a scrapheap of parts, but in it's time it was very fast, only it's no good now with it's 1 gig of RAM, that's why i want to upgrade
October 10, 2010 8:23:19 PM

Have you by any chance swapped or replaced the original 1GB stick that was in there to start with? According to all the specs I can find it supports up to 2GB of RAM at 667MHz so I can't see why your setup wouldn't work. I'd imagine a single 2Gb stick would work fine but I still don't understand why 2 x 1GB sticks won't. That being said, you never know with pre-built OEM systems!
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 10, 2010 8:27:40 PM

Yes, I swapped the one that wa originally in there, only because it was defective as heck. Constantly had BSOD, programs that crashed etc. but it also was a DDR2-667 card, 1gig also. from the manufacturer PQ1.

that one also didn't work with another 1gig card, I tried to upgrade before, but i thought that didn't work because the original was defective.
October 10, 2010 8:55:13 PM

Hmmmm that is strange. All the info I can find suggests that your system supports dual-channel memory. The only other conclusion I can come to is that it has been explicitly disabled in your BIOS. However, even without dual-channel you should still be able to run the other stick of memory it would just run slower.

Have you run Memtest on both sticks one at a time? I know it seems unlikely that a stick is bad since you said they both work individually but its worth a shot.

The only other thing I can think of is that your one DIMM slot may be faulty. If you are able to swap your new stick for a single stick of 2GB memory then that should work fine. I know it's not ideal but it seems to be the only way around this at the moment. Sorry I can't be of more help - it's always difficult working with the minimum amount of information that's included in OEM pre-built systems. For example, I finally found some manuals for your system only to browse through the technical specifications to find they only include info on the front-panel connections (USB, microphone, headset etc.), your back-panel IO plate connections and the physical dimensions of your case...really useful!!!
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 10, 2010 9:05:23 PM

Lol, I know, they don't even support my pc anymore on the site, there's nothing to find about it! Well, tomorrow i'll go to the shop and talk to the shopkeeper, let's see if he will give me an exchange when i pay him more.
Again, can't thank you enough:D 
!