Help mixing Coolant in pump/res

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I am wanting to mix some Mayhem's Pastel coolant in my pump/res but wasn't sure exactly what to do. It is a Swiftech 655 pump mounted to a Bitspower Mod Top and 150 res. There are two openings on the side, an in/out, one that has a plug on the other side that is just an out and one on the top with is an out/fill port.

The question is, I just want to mix some colors in my coolant without having any liquid flowing out of the pump/res until I can get it mixed the way I want it. I would assume I just need to plug the in/out holes on the side and fill the res tube from the single top opening?

Thanks for any advice.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
How would you get a consistent mixture for the entire loop if you are only planning to mix it to your liking in your reservoir? Your res isn't going to account for a very large percentage in your overall loop once you consider tubing, block and radiator water volume.

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012

It's usually done this way on most Youtube videos showing dye being mixed with coolant in a tube pump/res. Should I leave it all connected with tubes attached and just fill it from the top port in the res tube? Check out some Youtube videos showing coolant mixing and you will see more what I mean.

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012

But wouldn't you just fill it up more and see how it looks then keep adding to it or how would you mix coolant like this? It looks like in most the videos with their loops they just let it mix this way so not sure what other method to use. Suggestions on what would work?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So are you planning to drain part of your loop before you do this?

Still would be easier to pre-mix the coolant and distilled and just fill the loop with that. Otherwise, you'll have to drain some of the loop anyway simply to displace the water that will be replaced with the coolant mix.