SSD as OS Drive-Windows 7 - Drive Indexing and other questions

itakey

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
So I installed Win 7 on a new machine I built on my Crucial M4 drive and this thing is INSANELY FAST!

Had a few questions on setup and optimizing. I read a guide that mentioned a bunch of things to do to help the drive last longer, less writes, etc, etc. The guide is here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

He mentioned a few things in the "Immediately after Install section", some things such as:

Hibernation
Is it ideal to keep hibernation on with a 120GB SSD with 16GB ram? I noticed that the command powercfg -h -size 50 only allows 50%. I attempted to put 25 in place of the 50 and it read the say byte size.
-I don't hibernate a lot, but I like the option since I sometimes leave a ton of stuff open and like to resume where I left off.
-If I leave it on should I worry?

System Restore
If I set it to 1% it shows up as 1.19gb.
-Is it cool to leave this on for the option of restoring?

Drive Indexing
Most say disable this. Is this ideal? Even when disabled I can still see windows keeps a few folders checked on for indexing, is this a default?

Page File
I use photoshop a lot, and might do some VMWare virtual machine stuff.
-Should I drop the size down or leave it as is. If I don't touch anything it says the size is 16301MB, I have 16GB ram in this machine.

Are these things crucial?

Solution
Here is a good guide: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

I disabled hibernation, turned off indexing, moved my paging file to a HDD, and disabled restore, as it doesn't really ever help much anyway. I do image the drive periodically and back up my data to multiple other places.

RealBeast

Titan
Here is a good guide: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

I disabled hibernation, turned off indexing, moved my paging file to a HDD, and disabled restore, as it doesn't really ever help much anyway. I do image the drive periodically and back up my data to multiple other places.

Solution

itakey

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Thanks for this link. I've read through the one you posted, and also this one here:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-amp-Utilities-*

All good info, just makes me wonder what I should actually do, and what I shouldn't.

Some people say to plug it in and don't change anything so I'm trying to find the healthy balance.

itakey

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Agreed, your list is short and does the most obvious of things.

Would moving page file to a different drive slow things down?

Ref Page file. with 16 gigs of ram what I would do is set both the min and max to the same value. Also have 16 gigs ram and I set mine to 1024 mbs. This is no problem as if a program runs out of memory, no biggy, just go in and up the Min/max untill you no longer recieve the message. That would be the best size. As to Location, if 1024 mbs works, your choice. You can set it to the HDD. there will be a small performance hit and that depends on how often it is accessed.

Hibernation, I do disable. Not just to save both disk space and writes but there were some problems with waking from sleep messed up some SSDs - Think most of thoes issues have been correct.

RealBeast

Titan

Not likely, as you will rarely if ever use it with 16gb of ram. I put mine on a HDD and set it to a specific size (min and max the same) just in case in some odd circumstance it is used.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
do what realbeast did with pagefile, as there's absolutely no need for it to just sit on your ssd since it is only being used for crashdump in case of bsod - not really a performance demanding task

i've got 8gig of ram and i'm yet to fill it up unless i'm doing something with ramdisk (like slipstreaming updates to my win7 installation partition with w7toolkit)

so the best way to treat your ssd is to move pagefile and system restore to your hdd