Quadro or GTX

jonathan7007

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
All,
I am going to build an i7 system in mid March for my Photoshop CS4 and Powerpoint work. These PS RAW files will be large. I will do Dreamweaver and perhaps learn more elaborate presentation skills with Flash, etc. Of course it will also support more general day-to-day tasks, although I have a laptop for most of the business side. I have no plans for [professional] video editing.

I see that nVidia suggests Quadro boards for this application. A forum comment elsewhere cites that board series as a power-saving option, too. Ok, sounds good.

If I put this much money into a system I might want to play a game now and then. My daughter likes SIMS and has a lot of SIMS2 materials. Will the Quadro just turn up its nose and not accelerate this game-oriented shading and shaping? The NVidia site doesn't seem to answer this question...

I have to admit I don't play games on my current machines, but I will semi-retire and give up a full day schedule of teaching soon so I will have more flexibility at my workstation.

If I can be sure the game-oriented card will serve both needs I *might* opt for the game-focused solution.

Thoughts, anyone?

BTW: I have the Gigabyte X58-5U motherboard in mind.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

jonathan7007

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
The Quadro workstation cards will do very good with your CS4 programs, but with games they slow to a crawl if they even run at all. Sims 2 is a rather old game so I would not be to worried about FPS but sometimes some games just don’t want to work with a workstation card.

Since you are not doing any heavy duty 3D rendering I think you could get away with a more powerful gaming card and get the best of both worlds.

What is your budget for a graphics card? And what screen resolution do you use.

jonathan7007

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

Paperfox, thanks for such a quick reply.

This game incompatibility is exactly what I suspected might happen. I am investing a lot in the machine, partly for the fun of building and making the specs hit all the sweet spots (and maybe a little more... like the i7 and socket 1366 choice)

so... I would put sufficient RAM on any card I bought. When I said "GTX" I was guessing at the product name code and I see that it perhaps should have been GTS, but I would not bother with two cards.

I use a 24-inch Gateway monitor at 1900x1200 but might switch to my graphics-oriented 1600x1200 Viewsonic, which might offer better color control.

BTW, I like rotating occaisionally to portrait with both of these monitors. That's why I have nVidia-chip boards so far.

Again, thanks for the information.

jonathan7007

jonathan7007

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
OK, I looked at NewEgg price for a Gigabyte 260GTX with 800+ RAM and slightly overclocked GPU.I assume this runs all the Open GL routines necessary for Photoshop acceleration (but will check before I buy...) and it's only $215 before shipping. Seems very reasonable for the benefit I get in my professional work as well as play.

jonathan7007

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

jonathan7007

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

Now I'll check at adobe.com and get into a serious Photoshop forum like NAPP organization to find out if the Photoshop coding uses the OpenGL3.1 extras or it limited to 2.1. My memory says that I always saw "OpenGL2.x" in specs I saw ver the past few months.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been an nVidia user for a long time but would switch if appropriate.

jonathan7007

TRENDING THREADS