Sign in with
Your question

Do i need new graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2010 7:22:09 PM

I have just bought tomb raider underworld on pc, and have installed it with no problems. However, when i play the game, the game is not smooth, as it stutters.
According to system requirements on the box, it states the following (my pc specs are in brackets) :

PROCESSOR : PENTIUM 4 3.0GHZ (INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q8300 2.5GHZ 1333MHZ)

WINDOWS : XP/VISTA/WINDOWS 7 (WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64)

RAM : 1GB FOR XP, 2GB FOR VISTA/WIN 7 minimum (4GB DDR2)

VIDEO CARD : 256MB INCLUDING SHADER MODEL 3 minimum (MY GRAPHICS IS NVIDIA 7100 INTEGRATED, BUT 256MB DEDICATED)

PLEASE HELP - do i need new graphics card, and what could you recommend to fit in a packard bell ixtreme x5620uk pc, without having to change psu.

More about : graphics card

February 14, 2010 7:26:47 PM

256mb dedicated straight from your ram that is.
Anything is going to be faster than that. You just need to figure out what your motherboard has for slots. AGP, PCI, PCI Express ect.
February 14, 2010 7:31:34 PM

SV_Bubbles said:
256mb dedicated straight from your ram that is.
Anything is going to be faster than that. You just need to figure out what your motherboard has for slots. AGP, PCI, PCI Express ect.

i know i can put a card with pci express in the pc - what would you recommend, as i think the pc is micro atx? as i said before, ideally i don't want to change the psu if i don't have to. the pc is only a couple of months old, and so, i would possibly ask pc world do it, so the warranty isn't invalidated.
Related resources
February 14, 2010 7:48:27 PM

jyjjy said:
Something like an HD4650 is the best you should consider pairing with that CPU and it is very low power so it should work with your PSU;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Will i be able to play the tomb raider game with that graphics card? If i did want to play more recent games, ie batman etc, would i be able to, as long as the graphics requirement supports it?
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 7:51:20 PM

yes the 4650 will be able to play your games, it is a tremendous improvement over your integrated nvidia 7100.
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 8:00:46 PM

shays47 said:
Will i be able to play the tomb raider game with that graphics card? If i did want to play more recent games, ie batman etc, would i be able to, as long as the graphics requirement supports it?

Well the problem is your CPU, which is quite weak at this point. What current games you will be able to play acceptably will vary by game. If at all possible I would recommend trying demos to see if your cpu can handle a game before actually buying it.
February 14, 2010 8:03:36 PM

jyjjy said:
Well the problem is your CPU, which is quite weak at this point. What current games you will be able to play acceptably will vary by game. If at all possible I would recommend trying demos to see if your cpu can handle a game before actually buying it.

i thought an intel core 2 quad core 2.5ghz, 1333mhz, 4mb cache cpu was quite good, admittedly not a world beater.
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 8:05:47 PM

The P4 is the recommended system requirements, the OP has the things in parentheses.
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 8:17:23 PM

Ah, yeah. I didn't notice that, thought he had a P4.
Your PSU is still only 250w though so an HD4650 is still one of your better choices but seeing as your CPU is good I'd recommend an HD5570 instead as it uses basically the same amount of power and is a decent amount better;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
With that you should be able to play any game competently at resolutions 1280x1024 and below.
!