Asus A8N-SLI Videocard Compatability

tring358

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I have an ASUS A8N-SLI mobo that's been sitting on my shelf or a few years. I've built several machines since buying it and had just about forgotten I had it. I bought an AMD Athlon 64 Socket 939 processor and 4 1gb sticks of DDR-400. The board doesn't have on-board video o I installed an ASUS EN8400GS 512 DDR2 PCIe 2.0 16x video card. When I powered it up for the 1st time, I got no graphics, just a beep code. 1 long beep & 2 short beeps. I looked up the codes & the only thing it indicated was an issue with the video. I was told by a tech in a local shop that a 2.0 card wouldn't work in a 1.0 slot. All of the cards I've been able to find so far are low profile 1.0 x16. Tiger Direct had one but it was sold out. Does anyone know where I can get a high profile PCIe 1.0 x16 card that will work on this board.

tecmo34

Administrator
Your Tech Shop was wrong.. PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatable with PCIe 1.0., so it isn't an issue with the slot difference :)

1) Have you looked to replace the CMOS battery since the board has been sitting for a long while & could've went dead.

2) Have you tested the GPU in another system to make sure it works.

3) Here is a good guide for troubleshooting... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

tring358

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I know they're schiesters, theirs was the last of 4 small shops I visited. They tried to get me to buy a generic card for $20 with no promise it would work & no return if it didn't. I should have known PCIe is backwards compatable, but I was outnumbered 3-1.

Anyway, this isn't my 1st build, but it is my 1st in a while without on-board video. So not being able to see the monitor light up right away is new to me.

The 1st thing I replaced was the cmos battery, the voltage was under 1v.
The CPU had 2 bent pins when it arrived so I broke out my loop & tweezers.

I just checked the card in another machine and it works fine.

I checked the link and no issues there. Still stuck.... Maybe it's the CPU???

Any other thoughts?
Thanks