ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS graphics card issue

anderson4584

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Hello,

I recently installed a graphics card in this motherboard. it is the first graphics card this mobo has seen except for the onboard graphics of course.

the situation: after installing the card physically, the PC would boot like normal however there is NO display using my CRT.

I tried my LCD monitor and that worked fine. it boots right up with a display, no errors or anything of the sort. installed graphics drivers with this monitor then powered down to switch monitors. same result only now the CRT, DOES work but not until the PC is at the desktop. i get no display for the entire boot process (thus not allowing me to access my bios, etc)

a few things ive tried:

disabling the onboard graphics card (there is no way to do it that i can find)

updating bios (updating just fine, but still no options to disable onboard graphics and the issue has not been fixed)

uninstalling the onboard graphic drivers

leaving the onboard graphic drivers installed and disabling via device manager

plugging the CRT in the onboard graphics with the GT240 still in its slot (no display at all. even for the onboard graphics)

plugging CRT into the onboard grahpics withOUT the GT240 in its slot (display works immediately, no issues everything works fine)

using my LCD monitor via DVI connection (display works immediately with no issues)

using my CRT with an Dsub > DVI adapter (no display at all)

the only thing i can find in bios is the graphic priorities. which go either PCI-E > PCI > IGP or IGP > PCI > PCI-E.

the first is the correct setting. it goes from highest to lowest priority however this does not fix this problem.

the weird thing is the CRT monitor WILL display once it reaches desktop if i use it hooked up normally through the D-sub on the GT240. but ONLY after i install the drivers will using the LCD monitor... this is just baffling me and very annoying.

specs:

AMD Athlon II 245 X2 2.9GHz 2.0 MB cache socket AM3
ASUS M2N58AM-PLUS mobo
2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 ram
Galaxy GT240 512mb DDR5 PCI-E x 16
Antec Basiq BP500U 500W
(+3.3V@30A, +5V@30A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A)
Maxtor 80GB HD
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108

monitors:
Gateway VX930 CRT 19"
Acer X191W LCD 19"

i hate to be a pain but i REALLY want my crt on this computer not my LCD. thank you for your time! i posted this in motherboards section since i believe it is a motherboard issue.

Solution
I don't know if you tried this or not but still I have to tell you,
you don't need to see the screen to get to the bios, usually when ever we install something new as far as the video of the rig is concerned, we never see anything on the monitors, it's always a blind Del Del Del hit to get into the BIOS as soon as we switch on the rig.
What you need to do is after you hear the rig post beep just keep hitting delete key and wait a few seconds
See if you get the bios screen on the CRT.
If you do, then there's nothing wrong with the Mobo or the GPU it's got everything to do With the Gateway.....CRT
If you can manage, then get your hands on another CRT Not Gateway but something a lot more common like a Samsung or an LG and try it on....
I...
I don't know if you tried this or not but still I have to tell you,
you don't need to see the screen to get to the bios, usually when ever we install something new as far as the video of the rig is concerned, we never see anything on the monitors, it's always a blind Del Del Del hit to get into the BIOS as soon as we switch on the rig.
What you need to do is after you hear the rig post beep just keep hitting delete key and wait a few seconds
See if you get the bios screen on the CRT.
If you do, then there's nothing wrong with the Mobo or the GPU it's got everything to do With the Gateway.....CRT
If you can manage, then get your hands on another CRT Not Gateway but something a lot more common like a Samsung or an LG and try it on....
I think it'll work just fine.
Some CRTs after a few years take time to start up, it's like a car warming up, something to do with the voltages supplied to the VGA. And since most new cards (GPUS) are assigned lower output voltages (since LCDs don't require that much high voltage input signal to function) maybe the signal from the GPU is not as strong as your CRT would want it to be, but, quite a few CRTs have a set of settings in them to regulate the input signal it's somewhere in the CRTs OSD.
So you can try it out and let us know....

Solution

anderson4584

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
tried that already and it doesnt work :/ i even tried it multiple times. I even have Galaxy email me an updated bios for the graphics card. and no change. its not a big issue anymore, i found a solution sort of...

im just using BOTH monitors at the same time. Nvidia control panel allows me to switch back and forth to whichever monitor i want to use. so im not really using both at once i just have them both plugged in ready to go. and no matter which monitor is the one i have set to use, i get the bios with the LCD and i DONT with the CRT. this is fine with me, i know its NOT my crt. my crt is a vx930 19'' gateway from like... 2003 lol its actually a really good monitor. and its working fine.

this works for me for now. i play ffxiv on my lcd and when i wanna play cs 1.6 i just go into nvidia control panel > switch monitors > restart my pc just because > then play cs. its the best solution i think , it actually works out better this way because i get to use my LCD now.

its gotta be the card but i am not going to RMA it. i will just use it for a little while until i upgrade to something better.