[Problem]First attempt building computer - having troubles.

Felidire

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hey all, sorry if this is in the wrong section butthis is my first time building a computer from scratch & I could really use a hand figuring this out.

--

Ok, here's a list of parts that I have - and i'll list what happens when I turn the computer on:

========
Motherboard: P6T6 WS Revolution (Not sure if it's damaged)
Processor: i7-920 2.66GHz - "D0"
RAM: Corsair XMS3 (3x 2GB sticks - one connected to A1 & B1, third not plugged in)
GPU: nVidia GTX 285
PSU: Hytec 1000w (Labeled TITAN)
Harddrive: 1TB Western Digital

CRT monitor hooked up to check
Keyboard connected
No mouse connected
Windows 7 Ultimate serial/disc (not installed)
========

#1. I turn on the Power. The CPU fan starts up; the SW_POWER green light turns on; sometimes the blue DIAG CPU led on the board flashes and stays off, sometimes it stays on; the green light inside of the GPU turns on but the fan doesn't move; Monitor displays 'No Signal' and stays black/goes to standby; the G.P. Diagnosis chip that came with the board displays F.F.

To me the processor looks absolutely fine, but the motherboard may have gotten dinged around a little during shipping -- The System Speaker does not beep at all, no matter what RAM combination I use or what sequence I put the parts in, it makes NO noise whatsoever. I'm guessing, but I think the motherboard doesn't like the processor.

I should also probably mention that the two Hard Drives are both blank and need an OS installed, I only have one hooked up. When I turn the power on the monitor just stays blank - and I cannot turn the computer off by holding the power button on either the computer case, or the G.P diagnosis chip - the only way to turn it off is the PSU on/off switch.. =/

Anyone smarter than me out there who has some idea on what's up with this thing?

Felidire

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Thanks for the link, I read it all and the only thing that it could be is this.

-----
19. Is your CPU supported by the BIOS revision installed on your motherboard? Most motherboards will post a CPU compatibility list on their website.
-----

This one MAY be what's causing the problem, I'm using D0 Stepping and someone else mentioned: "That motherboard requires BIOS version 0407 for the "D0" 920 CPU"

Only problem is I have no idea how to update the BIOS when the computer doesn't even beep during startup - and yeah I took a 4pin system speaker from another computer and plugged it in to check. It -never- beeps, no matter what is or is not plugged in or what ports/ammount of RAM is plugged in. Nothing is ever displayed on the Monitor other than "Check Signal".

Would a completely black screen on startup with "NO Signal" indicate that it's not recognizing the processor?

Thanks guys.

Felidire

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I read through the updating bios part but couldn't find anything - will flashing the bios work if the screen is black and there's no beep though? (Might want to mention that in the troubleshooting link).

I'll go read through it a third time, see if I missed something.

--
Edit:

The User Guide says:

To update the BIOS using EZ FLash 2
1. Insert the USB flah drive that contains the latenst BIOS file to the USB port and then launch EZ flash 2 in any of these two ways.

*Press Alt + F2 during POST to display the Flash 2 BIOS ROM Utility screen.

*Enter the BIOS setup program. Go to the Tools menu to select EZ Flash 2 and press Enter to enable it.

-

Neither of these work, the monitor is completely black rofl.

A "no signal" problem can be caused by about anything in the troubleshooting checklist. It doesn't point to any one problem. So you actually performed every step in the checklist? The 8-pin CPU power connector near the CPU socket is firmly plugged in, both 6-pin PCI-E power connectors are plugged into the GPU, etc...

What was the result of trying each stick of RAM by itself in the first RAM slot? Are you using the blue RAM slots on the motherboard? Did you perform the "Breadboarding" suggestion at the end of the checklist to rule out a short?

Felidire

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I performed most of the checklist before posting here, I just went through them all again 1 step at a time. I've tried 3 sticks of ram in the blue slots; 2 sticks in A1 B1; 1 stick in A1; one stick in B1; and then one stick in A2; B2; and then one in C2.

No beeps, same result - the fans all turn on and I get a black screen. If by breadboarding you mean placing the motherboard on a piece of cardboard or something on a desk, then yeah - I did that yesterday.

every single thing i've tried results the same. </3

Black screen, no beep, fans turn on.. I'm at a loss.

Felidire

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
For anyone else who read this and needs help, it turns out my problem was both the MOTHERBOARD and the Power Supply. I got a new motherboard, same no beeping from the PSU. Got a new PSU and plugged both boards into it, the new one beeped fine.

My advice would be to try the board with a new PSU, and if it doesn't work then try that PSU on a new motherboard. AND if that doesn't work, just get a new PSU for the new board.. it bloody costed me well into $3000 because of the problems though, I could have just bought alienware or something for that price. =P