Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU Dimensions

Last response: in Components
May 2, 2010 4:05:11 PM

So this is whats up.

Wanted to get a GTS 250. I currently have DDR2 card with 512mb. The 250 has DDR3 and 1gb.

I found that I have some SATA cables in the way though. The card has to be 8.5 inchs or shorter. I found that the HD5770 fits.

I have a 400w power supply. I need at least 450w. Since I am now getting a new PSU I figure I may as well get a 600w one ready for crossfiring.

My problem now is that I can not find a PSU that can fit into the space that I have. What can I do?

More about : psu dimensions

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 4:15:03 PM

These are the official recommended power requirements for your card:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

This applies to the whole system not just your graphics card.

As far as the size of your PSU goes, you will find that most PSUs for desktop systems adhere to the ATX form factor meaning they all conform to one size and standard.

Something like the Corsair 650TX would probably do you nicely.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So as you said if you do plan on using a crossfire setup in the future then you would need at least a 600W PSU. Corsair, Seasonic and the newer Antec models are the way to go.
May 2, 2010 4:26:02 PM

Thanks moody. I looked for quite some time, but they were never the size I was looking for. Just to be sure I stuck a ruler up to my PSU. It was all the dimensions of the Corsair you recommended.

BTW, is there anything I have to worry about in terms of having the right voltages or anything?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 4:37:16 PM

You shouldn't have to worry about the voltages for the PSU. The majority of computer components nowadays run off the +12V rail of the PSU and there's plenty of juice available on the +12V rail of that Corsair model to handle what you need :) 
m
l
May 2, 2010 4:48:14 PM

Thanks again. I'm probably going to watch 100 PUS installation videos to get my self familiar with the process.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 4:53:55 PM

Lol nah it's really not that bad! Fitting the new one to the case is only a simple matter of four screws and then you just need to plug everything in. It's up to you how much time you take to get it all tidy etc but obviously the tidier the better really for airflow as well as for aesthetics! When you start drilling your own holes for cable management is when the fun starts ;)  Good luck!
m
l
May 2, 2010 5:03:57 PM

I'm watching one now where he is using one of those static wrist bands. I some people say you don't need one, others say you do. Whats the deal?
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 3, 2010 1:38:04 AM

Back in the early days of personal computing (ancient history) static electricity was considered an issue. I remember having an anti-static wrist band with a long green wire that I attached to the ground wire of an electrical wall outlet (mains). I also had a very large anti-static mat under my keyboard. It also had a long green wire that was attached the the ground wire of an electrical outlet.

In modern times it is no longer considered to be a major issue.
m
l
May 13, 2010 12:53:38 PM

Best answer selected by Inquisitive.
m
l
!