Which Barebones is better for gaming?

puntacana1

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
My first time posting here. I have a quick question about two barebones ktis I am trying to decide on to buy in the next say or two, both from Tiger Direct.

#1 Intel i3 530 kit

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5753569&Sku=B69-1185

#2 AMD Phenom kit

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5713127&CatId=332

The intel kit lacks a beefy PSU, but Tiger says I can substitute to one of my choosing and also has the OS. The AMD lacks a hard drive.

I fugure both will end up costing almost the same considering each needs something to complete that the other has.

So basically, which one will be better for me since all i pretty much do is play games and internet.

Thanks!

You need to put something in between the brackets to make it clickable.

I'd be easier if we had a budget. Refer to the forum guidelines from the link in my signature.

I wouldn't touch the AMD one. It's building on the older DDR2. However, the i3 isn't good for gaming either. You will need a discrete card to play any games. To be honest, I can build a much better gaming system for less. Here's about the lowest budget gaming you can get:

CPU: X3 425 $77
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 $106
RAM: CL 7 1600 mhz Ripjaws $117
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB $57
GPU: HD 5770 $168 w/ $10 US rebate ($157 in total)
Case: Antec 300 Illusion $90
PSU: Antec BP 550W $70
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $30

Total: $824. Probably a bit over budget...

osu43130

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Actually Neither.

i3 is an HTPC processor and not great for gaming.

The AMD has a Crappy PSU and still using DDR2 Ram.

You could do much better if you listed your budget and follow the sticky at the top of the page and there will be people that will give you several different builds to chose from.

EDIT******

And there goes MAdAdmiral beating everyone to the punch again....lol

tjglizard

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
MadAdmiral, thank you for the build sample. I cannot find anything cheaper on Tiger Direct's bare bones kit which is lower speced at the same price. My only feedback are the reponses about the memory not being for AMD, but I think the bios change is not a big deal. Your build is great!