(Brand new Radeon 5770) Bad flickering in 3d apps/games

Leopardson

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Hi,

I just installed a Radeon 5770. I'm using the Catalyst 10.1 drivers.
I had to hook the PCI-E 6-pin thing through an adapter.

Often while on the desktop, my screen will flicker for about a quarter of the second.
Whenever I start a 3d game, I get horizontal lines moving all over the screen like an old TV with a bad antenna.

Now, despite the flickering games run amazing, but it kills the point if your screen looks like a Dalek free for all.
I would hate to have to send this thing back.

Unfortunately, it's either a bad board or bad drivers.
I would use the ones from the CD, but I have no CD/DVD drive.

I have tried:
Moving monitor to a different port on the card.
Adjusting the adapter and making sure everything's connected tight.
Re-installing Drivers

Please help

Update (NOT FIXED, just more info):
I noticed that the card while in idle sets it's clocks to 157mhz and 300mhz. Maybe this could be part of the problem.
My friend, using the same card and even the same adapter says it works fine.

I am going to shut down my system and install an old CD drive I stole from the Smithsonian and install the CD's drivers.

Update (Not fixed, but not nearly as serious a problem):

Thanks for the reply. I'll try them eventually.

(From my second post in this thread)
So, I got angry and hopeless and decided to play Bioshock and ignore the lines to see if it would play as fast as it's supposed to. Apparently, if I play for longer then about 3 minutes, the lines go away and don't come back except for the occasional flicker line shooting across my screen.
I tried Fallout 3. Five minutes in, flickers were gone.

This really seems like a problem with it switching from 2d to 3d. It's like the fact it changes settings when it's idle may be the culprit. Maybe it isn't changing fast enough.

I am not sending this thing back no matter what. I never dreamed it could do Bioshock at max everything (Even resolution) without a tick of lag. If I have to wait for the very annoying flicker to go away every game, so be it.

Now, it is still an annoying problem. 3d things appear on the screen and the card goes bonkers for a few minutes.
I am going to try switching around drivers and see what happens.
So far, to un-experienced me it looks like the clock idling that the new cards do isn't speeding up fast enough and is causing strange problems.

nrnx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
You need to un-install your drivers and install catalyst 1.12 its the newest release on the site and should fix your issues. Rule of thumb: never use CD drivers for graphics cards.

Leopardson

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I'll try them eventually.

So, I got angry and hopeless and decided to play Bioshock and ignore the lines to see if it would play as fast as it's supposed to. Apparently, if I play for longer then about 3 minutes, the lines go away and don't come back except for the occasional flicker line shooting across my screen.
I tried Fallout 3. Five minutes in, flickers were gone.

This really seems like a problem with it switching from 2d to 3d. It's like the fact it changes settings when it's idle may be the culprit. Maybe it isn't changing fast enough.

So, I am not sending this thing back no matter what. I never dreamed it could do Bioshock at max everything (Even resolution) without a tick of lag. If I have to wait for the very annoying flicker to go away every game, so be it.

Leopardson

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Great. Before I had a chance to change drivers, my cat hit the restart button with his paw. (I know that cat is conspiring against me. I just know it.).

Now, the desktop looks like a Picasso and turns into a new masterpiece every time I move my mouse. This can't be good.
I'm feeling more and more it's the 10.1 drivers, because everything is fine in safe-mode.
I will be so pissed if I have to send this card back for a replacement. I'd be one of those pissed people who get mad at one brand and switch to another, but I already have had my share of experiences with Geforces and I know how Nvidia rolls.

I'm going to try downgrading the drivers.

@Nrnx, do you mean Catalyst 10.1? I'm using that and it sucks more then a starving anteater in lollipop land.

shaffer317

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I am having this same problem, the flicker only happens when you overclock, or underclock past the default settings, I have tried 4 different cards crossfire/single still the same problem, bought a new power supply, still no change, i had a 4870 before this and it worked like a charm, no problems what so ever. But then again i didn't have the 4870 running on windows 7, so i don't know if this is a compatibility problem or what, all i know is that i have been posting/reading forums all over the internet desperate to find a solution, yet no have come to my attention just yet, I KNOW THIS IS NOT A VIDEO CARD PROBLEM, if it is then they have a *** load of faulty cards on the shelves right now, considering i have replaced mine 4 different times and have not had a different result at all

freakaccident

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

What does a Gigabyte board have to do with the mem? I have a Gigabyte board and dual 5770s and have flicker if I OC. Thanks for any help.

GGGG-FR

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

Hi,

I had the same problem with a 2 years old radeon 5770.
Suddenly, my display began to flicker and gave me temporary black screens (0.5 - 2 seconds), either in 3D or 2D (video, internet browser)
The problem persisted and became worst with time. At the end the computer freezed (no security auto-extinction, no blue screen etc... just a complete freeze needing manual reboot)
It happened either on windows 7 and ubuntu 10.10, so it wasn't likely to be a software problem.
I was wondering if the graphic card was overheating or just dying, if the problem came from the LCD screen or other electromagnetic interferences, or if it was perhaps due to a recent addition of stereo speakers plugged on the motherboard built-in sound card.

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM.
No more flickering or black screens reappeared since 2 days now.

What i did :

- Cleaned the computer (dust on motherboard, RAM)
- Isolated the mobo components (and RAM) from any proximity with the bunch of alimentation wires
- Cleaned the graphic card (dust in ventilation system and between gpu elements, spread a little the old dry rotten remains of thermic paste on the gpu cooling contact zone...)
- Unplugged the speakers from the mobo and plugged them on the headphone output of the LCD screen instead (via HDMI sound)

Since your GPU is brand new, the whole cleaning task could be useless.
But it's definitively not a software problem (drivers, OS etc...), don't bother with updating drivers etc...
Just check the hardware : try to preserve your motherboard from expandables pluggings, avoid electromagnetic interferences and overheating by isolating wires and removing any dust agglomerate.

I can't tell what was the actual solution since I did all at once.
Just try everything, it cannot hurt ... ;)

I hope that it helps.

G