Upgrading from a 10 year old system :O

Hello everyone, this is my set up right now:

You may be shocked to hear of this dinosaur,

Motherboard: Asus P4P 800 SE,
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz (what a beast)
PSU: Generic crap
RAM: DDR PC3200 SDRAM 512x2
Videocard: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO (I know, it has antique value)
Storage: Western Digital 750 GB SATA 1, Western Digital 200 GB SATA 1
Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
Case cooling: No fans but the side panel fell off (max airflow)
CPU cooling: stock heatsink and fan
Video/other cooling : non-existent

It's been about 8 years since I built this baby and I am tired of being scared that my computer may catch on fire every time I run a game so ...

I am building a new set up now! :D

So far I have:
Thermaltake Element V case (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1420&ID=1900), wanted to get Thermaltake level 10 (http://www.ttlevel10.com/) but it's almost 1000 dollars.
PSU: Corsair HX1000W

Now, I am in between choosing AMD Phenom II X4 or one of Intel's i7's

I am trying to find a motherboard that supports both USB 3.0 and SATA 3, so far the only ones that I found are ASUS P7P55D and a few Gigabyte ones. However, both of those motherboards have intel chipsets not AMD, and I have heard that Intel's LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 will not be around for long before intel comes out with a new chipset limiting my future upgrade possibilities. Also intel setup is on average more expensive than AMD.

If anybody has advice or suggestions I'd appreciate it.
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrading year system
  1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128416

There's your AMD mobo. Nice case, I just bought the Element G. I also just bought this MOBO. I suppose the rest of the questions have to deal with your budget, really.
  2. What's your budget, monitor resolution. And do you need an OS?

What will you be using your PC? I'm guessing gaming.
  3. Thank you for the reply guys. I will definitely be using the computer for high end gaming. I have a new Samsung 1080p monitor. Planning to run full HD 1920x1080 resolution. I will be going for Windows 7 64 bit OS.
  4. My budget can be flexible, as long as it is for something that is worth it. I don't mind spending a little extra on a motherboard if it will allow me to upgrade my CPU and RAM in the future. Which is one of the main reasons I am leaning towards AM3 chipset motherboards.
  5. Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55

HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870 $380

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) $129 or $104 after rebate

Windows 7 64 bit $105

Hyper 212 plus and Optical $40

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus and GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard $220

With this you should be able to play any game on High settings at 19XX resolution. Also you could probably look around a bit more and find another combo or two to drop the price even more if you wanted.

Total $925 before rebates and $905 after.

Since there was no real budget listed we could go higher with a 955 or lowe with a X3 425 depends on what you wanted but with this you get the USB3 and Sata 6 as well as ability to XFIRE in the future. If you did not want to XFire then you could get a different mobo and save a few bucks there as well.
  6. Thanks for the post, but my budget is easily more than that, because I am buying 1 component per paycheque :P I expect to spend around 3000 on this baby.

I won't go below AMD phenom II X4 965, or will go with an i7. I was looking at this ASUS mobo: P7P55D-E Premium

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=GcRyQQyzUldWVI52&templete=2

but my only concern is, will the LGA-1156 platform last? or will I have to do another mobo upgrade in a year when I will want to upgrade CPU?
  7. 2 things.....

1) with 3K that is definitely more then enough for a sweet 920 set up.

2) Be careful buying parts separately what is Great now might be average next month.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product