Best mobo/graphics card for i7 870

PapaRockrat

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Am a 1st time builder and looking for best motherboard for an i7 870 processor I've already got.
Main objective is to build a solid, reliable system with much future potential (USB 3.0, SATA 6g/s, 3d graphics, multiple displays...). main uses will be HTPC, media server, Photoshop & other possible graphics work. Not big on gaming or overclocking, but could learn ;). Am leaning towards ASUS unless there are some other solid brands possibly better (Gigabyte, Intel?).
Best choice I've found is the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro/Premium yet am wary of reports of noise & hibernate/lock-up problems.
*Next decision will be 1 (of 2) graphics cards. Like to stick with nVidia SLI approach, but have yet to understand if Dual 16x cards truly possible or worth it.

Any/all inputs please?

Solution
For the socket 1156 you should be able to run a SLI\Xfire system without a bottleneck, although it might be a bit overkill for a HTPC

Asus an gigabyte are still good solid motherboard manufactures consider the gigabyte x58-ud3.

HD5850 is a cheaper solution and comes with HDMI directx 11.

Probably look at some kingston Value ram 4-8GB kit.

a pair of seagate 2TB HDD will probably be more valuble to you
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413

You bought a $540 CPU for an HTPC? The i3 is the perfect HTPC CPU and is only like $120. How about you send me some of that cash you have laying around?

Asus P7P55D-E Pro. The problems are likely just a bad batch. If it happens to you, RMA it.

nVidia isn't worth it. It's not future proof at all. Since you paid $540 for a CPU, I'm assuming you're loaded. Get the HD 5970 for $650 if you can find it in stock.

PapaRockrat

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Sorry, not loaded, CPU was a gift. Now I'm trying to scratch up funds to try to make a system that will last a while. I realize HTPC is basically a throughput device, but believe I can find other ways to use the horsepower of this processor, and want to be ready for anything I throw at it in coming years (like Photoshop, 3D HD, video/sound editing perhaps?). Am already afraid to see the best GPU prices and might be looking for an interim solution for graphics. Have a lesser system that could suffice for a bare bones HTPC for now as I catch up on all the technology & OS potentials.

BlackKnight7891

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
For the socket 1156 you should be able to run a SLI\Xfire system without a bottleneck, although it might be a bit overkill for a HTPC

Asus an gigabyte are still good solid motherboard manufactures consider the gigabyte x58-ud3.

HD5850 is a cheaper solution and comes with HDMI directx 11.

Probably look at some kingston Value ram 4-8GB kit.

a pair of seagate 2TB HDD will probably be more valuble to you
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413

Solution