Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will difference memory bandwidth slow down my PC?

Last response: in Memory
October 10, 2010 8:52:36 PM

Ok so I installed CPU-Z on my Dell dimension C521 to so I could see my CPU stats or whatever I validate it and I took a look at the memory on the validation page of CPU-Z that the two 512MB of memory sticks were made by Qimonda, The max bandwidth is PC2-4300. Now the memory stick that I bought a few years was mode by PNY Electronics max bandwidth is PC2-5300, which has a higher performance than the two stock PC2-4300s. I know that having the same memory sticks from the same manufacture will boost performance but what happen if you are using two difference bandwidths form two difference memory companies?
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2010 10:36:55 PM

The higher rated RAM you added is running at the speed of the others. This is fine as the RAM is allowed to be underclocked, also speed doesn't have much of an affect on performance. The amount you have is all that matters.
m
l
October 11, 2010 2:10:43 AM

Wolygon said:
The higher rated RAM you added is running at the speed of the others. This is fine as the RAM is allowed to be underclocked, also speed doesn't have much of an affect on performance. The amount you have is all that matters.

So in other words if I add another 1GB of that RAM will run at the same speed of the others?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2010 3:23:22 AM

Yes thats correct, I thought you already had that RAM. But yes it will work fine.
m
l
October 11, 2010 5:36:45 PM

Wolygon said:
Yes thats correct, I thought you already had that RAM. But yes it will work fine.

I did but i'm going to buy another one.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2010 6:15:22 PM

Ram will always run at the speed of the lowest ram you have installed. So if your lowest speed on ram is 667Mhz and you install 2 more sticks of 800Mhz, they will both drop to 667Mhz.

And maybe in a case like this speed doesn't matter - but normally faster ram does have an impact on performance. More ram means more multi-tasking ease, but faster ram helps increase this. Especially if you increase the speeds to meet a close ram to cpu ratio.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2010 10:32:38 PM

I don't think saying that "Ram will always run at the speed of the lowest ram you have installed" is very good. As it does not and it runs at what you set it at.

When does speed have a large impact on performance? And I'm not talking about in benchmarks.
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:29:22 AM

Wolygon said:
I don't think saying that "Ram will always run at the speed of the lowest ram you have installed" is very good. As it does not and it runs at what you set it at.

When does speed have a large impact on performance? And I'm not talking about in benchmarks.

then whats the point of overclocking?? speed = performance for more "performance" you need greater speeds....... core 2 duo 2.5GHz is NOT equal in perfprmance to a i5 running at 3GHz...whats the point of going from DDR2 800 dual channel to DDR 3 1600 triple channel??? SPEED!!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2010 2:29:29 AM

All right, i mean no disrespect here, but there is a difference. And if you know what I'm talking about - you don't need no benchmarks to tell there is a difference. I can see a difference. When you've worked with PC's all your life, it becomes a second nature.

Now let me put it this way, if speed wasn't important, why is it that we keep upgrading and improving the types of ram through ages to higher and faster memory? ie. DDR to DDR2 to DDR3? PC 6400 vs PC3-12800?? Now ridiculous amounts of OC ram is what you would want benchmarking for. Just for bragging rights. That you are correct. But overall - faster ram (faster anything) MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

m
l
October 16, 2010 11:12:32 PM

Whoa hey people clam down I just want to know if my PC would run slower or faster if I added two different memory sticks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2010 6:46:04 AM

ITsonic said:
Whoa hey people clam down I just want to know if my PC would run slower or faster if I added two different memory sticks.

Lol, sorry mate didn't mean to go off topic x)
m
l
October 20, 2010 7:00:13 PM

So what's do you think?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 20, 2010 7:11:18 PM

Ok, if you put two different memory sticks (in speed) then the will run at the speed of the slowest ram. So typically it will run slower. (depending on the speed) It might not be a dramatic drop.

For example: Say you have a

1GB DDR2 @ 667Mhz
and
1GB DDR2 @ 800Mhz

If you use them together they will BOTH run at 667Mhz. So it will run slower, but it would still run fine.

From this point you can overclock the ram speed back to 800Mhz so it all runs at that speed. But this is only if you OC, otherwise it stays at 667Mhz.

does that help? :) 
October 20, 2010 7:13:59 PM

Gekko Shadow said:
Ok, if you put two different memory sticks (in speed) then the will run at the speed of the slowest ram. So typically it will run slower. (depending on the speed) It might not be a dramatic drop.

For example: Say you have a

1GB DDR2 @ 667Mhz
and
1GB DDR2 @ 800Mhz

If you use them together they will BOTH run at 667Mhz. So it will run slower, but it would still run fine.

From this point you can overclock the ram speed back to 800Mhz so it all runs at that speed. But this is only if you OC, otherwise it stays at 667Mhz.

does that help? :) 

yeah it does thanks
m
l
October 20, 2010 7:14:20 PM

Best answer selected by ITsonic.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2010 8:42:17 PM

ITsonic said:
yeah it does thanks

Glad i could help. If you have any more questions let me know x)
m
l
!