Are these good temps for an i7?

plagasx

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Hey guys I have just got an i7 920 build and have been concerned with my temps since I built it.

Here is my setup:

i7 920 2.66ghz
Asus p6t
Gskill 4gb DDR3 1600 RAM
WD Black Caviar 500gb
Cooler Master Storm Sniper Case (Black edition)
Artic Cooling Freezer Pro Rev 2.

My idle temps are always around 45c. My home temps are are around 80 degrees.. I have not run Prime or anything to test full load yet..

Should this be normal considering how hot it is in my home? Or does that even matter?

Thanks.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Yes it will matter how warm the ambient temperatures are since obviously your components can never be cooler than the air surrounding them and they rise in relation to its temperature.

80C is very hot for ambient temps, where do you live just out of interest? 45C idle does seem a bit hot since you can guarantee this will rise a fair bit under load. Really, you'll have to run Prime95 to test at full load and then find your temps. Hope this helps!

plagasx

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008

Oh okay thanks. I live in New York with unfortunately no AC.

I will run Prime 95 and report back with temps then.

Thanks for the help so far, much appreciated!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
And that's 80 degrees celsius not 80 degrees farenheit? Ouch thats scorching...

There are a few things that could cause high temps, the most likely being an incorrectly seated cooler or incorrectly applied thermal paste. Those would be the first things to check.

The guy said 80 degrees. He never said 80'C.

Obviously it's not 80'C but 80'F. 80'C would be 176'F - a steak is cooked at 150'F, so a person would die in an 80'C environment.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Fair enough, I too found it hard to believe its just the OP spoke about his CPU in Celsius then switched to Farenheit...its not common to switch between the two. Also I wasn't entirely sure whether 80C was his room temperature or the ambient temperature maybe of the air inside his case.

shubham1401

Distinguished

We know 80c is impossible to live in!! :lol:

Just said this because he switched from Celsius to Fahrenheit in the same post :)

Actually, it's quite common. yes it sometimes trip up the reader trying to answer the question (yes it happen to me before) but most people dont have an issue.

Also I wasn't entirely sure whether 80C was his room temperature or the ambient temperature maybe of the air inside his case.

Well, im pretty darn sure it cant be either the room or the case.

A room, the temp would be way to hot to even get near it. yet alone to be in it.

The case, Would be burning you every time you touched it and im sure that the wires coating would start (or be getting close to) melting. Also, it really impossible for a case to get to 80c unless it's fully sealed.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Well 80C is a very hot ambient room temperature. However its not surprising, liven for example in the mid and south-east Coast of the U.S, it can get higher than a 100F outside easily on a hot summer day. All it takes is a slumpy AC, and your indoor temps will be scorching hot. And my reference is that I live in maryland and summer temps climb to mid 90's and 100's easily in summer. But anyway besides the point, if your room is 80F, your CPU couldn't be any cooler than i'd say about 28C on idle. 45C is pretty hot...i'd say try messing with voltages and see if you can crank them down. BTW are you using stock cooler? I'd say if you are idling over 40C, you have a problem. Also ambient temps play a huge role on hardware temps. Ambient temps play a huge role on hardware temperatures btw.