Fan speed issue, can't seem to lower?

Farscape1_14

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Not sure if this is the exact kind of air cooling for this forum but maybe someone can help me out.

I'm trying to lower the speed of the fan on a galaxy gt430 card. It's a two pin fan so from what i've read there are no software based controls for the fan due to the lack of the 3rd and 4th pins.

However I've seen conflicting information that it's still possible to adjust the speed through the bios. I've seen people claim they followed certain steps and got their gt430's fan to slow down but also people claiming that no matter what any two pin cannot be adjusted bios or not without using additional hardware.

I've been trying to follow the steps people claim to have had work. Bootable usb, nvflash the bios, edit the bios with nibitor and then flashing the new bios. After flashing the new bios when I check the fan speed it says its changed to a new speed but the fan sounds as if it hasn't changed at all and this is between given values in nvsmi of 42-90% power.

Am I doing something wrong? Is what I'm trying impossible and the instructions i read really apply to a 3-4 pin fan and just didn't mention it?

I would swear that the fan hasn't always been this fast but after recently having to deal with a separate fan that was making noise it's all i can hear now.

What GPU monitoring software are you running? I've an Asus GT430 and I have full fan control through the Asus 'Smart Doctor' software even though my fan only has two wires going to it - means the software is adjusting voltage to the fan. I do not know what comes with the Galaxy but I would think you have NVidia's GPU suite as a minimum, there should be performance/fan control settings there.
Looking at their web site, I do find that Galaxy released a new driver for the GT430 in October available here http://www.galaxytechus.com/usa/Drivers.aspx ver 306.97-WHQL, it may have fan control as a feature
Hope it helps

Farscape1_14

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

I've tried various programs to try and control the fan speed including the base nvidia suite controls, msi afterburner and galaxy's own xtreme tuner. Although none of them feature the option blanked out, which apparently they should if the option to control is unavailable, none of them have yet to have an effect on the fans speed.

I've tried the drivers as well even doing a complete uninstall and registry cleaning to pick up anything left behind that may be causing a problem with no luck.