Updating bios and installing windows after installing a motherboard

dragonfly522

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have a several questions here because they are related to installing a new mobo, CPU, and RAM. Sorry, but I didn't want to submit several threads. My guess is no on this, but when I have a new mobo, can I install a Windows 7 upgrade without having to do a clean install? Do I need to do anything to the BIOS before or after the Windows install to ensure proper support of the CPU? If so, what should I do to it and before or after and do I need to do it within the BIOS screen before booting or do I need to do it in Windows? Is the best place to get a BIOS update at the manufacturer's website and how do I know which one to get? Even if I don't need to initially update or install something related to the BIOS, I would still like to know how I find the BIOS update that I need for future reference. I am installing a Phenom II X6 1090T BE, Biostar TA785G3 Motherboard, and 4 GB of OCZ 1333 MHz RAM. The reason that I am confused about the BIOS is that I have heard that putting in a new CPU will require updating the BIOS in some cases and I don't know if installing a brand new motherboard will negate the need for a BIOS update. Is updating and flashing meaning the same thing? Are there any drivers at all that need to be installed before the Windows install? I would really appreciate a response and also responses confirming what has been stated in those responses as well. Thanks in advance!

Solution
^+1

rolli is right. Do keep in mind that you CAN just do an upgrade, but that will install on top of any previous version of windows you might have installed. This method is usually not preferred as it can lead to future issues because of instability.

If it's a brand new motherboard, more than likely it will have the latest BIOS already (but not always). And unless you plan on doing RAID on your system, all drivers are installed AFTER you install windows.

And the best way to know if your board supports your cpu, is by either checking the board's manufacturer website and looking for the board 'CPU Support List' or actually calling the manufacturer (support) and asking them if they can verify compatibility. In this case i pulled up...
Upgrading to a new BIOS is sometimes needed for the motherboard to recognize the new CPU. The best place for a BIOS is manufacturers website. Even a new motherboard might need a Bios update if the CPU was released after the release date of the board. Windows upgrade CD will sometimes recommend a clean install rather than upgrade. After a win install all drivers have to be re installed.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
^+1

rolli is right. Do keep in mind that you CAN just do an upgrade, but that will install on top of any previous version of windows you might have installed. This method is usually not preferred as it can lead to future issues because of instability.

If it's a brand new motherboard, more than likely it will have the latest BIOS already (but not always). And unless you plan on doing RAID on your system, all drivers are installed AFTER you install windows.

And the best way to know if your board supports your cpu, is by either checking the board's manufacturer website and looking for the board 'CPU Support List' or actually calling the manufacturer (support) and asking them if they can verify compatibility. In this case i pulled up the list for you, you can find it HERE and if you notice the first cPU on the list is the one you wish to use. So that means your CPU is supported =). (btw same thing applies to memory and here's a link to the memory support list too ^~^)

Solution

dragonfly522

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
thx very much for the info...just to let you know, I did know how to find out if a cpu was supported by a motherboard...not sure how you got the idea that I didn't...no big deal. But I still would like to know if flashing the BIOS is that same as updating it. Not sure about that jargon. Plz let me know, anyone who wants to answer. Thx!

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
lol, sorry about that - just like to add details sometimes xD guess i got carried away lol.

And from what i recall, flashing the BIOS and updating the BIOS is pretty much the same thing, only that "flashing" is kind of the term used back in the day when you had to update your BIOS through a floppy drive (since you did more of a re-image of the BIOS to update) and nowadays you just "update" it like if it was any other software out there (Kind of just adds to the features). =).

tecmo34

Administrator
It is still "flashing" your BIOS. You don't technically update your BIOS as they are independent of each other. Meaning... V9 has everything from V1 to V8 has, plus what is new. It is not just what is new, which would be updating. You are able to go from V1 to V9 without needing the versions in-between.