First Time Builder - Need help with MOBO/ Plugs

thefattyman

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
So I am most of the way through my first ever build. Got a decent rig going, hopefully I havent already fried anything...

I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out where all the plugs go. I have searched extensively online, in the forums, etc... Nothing seems to get the specific answers I need. Hope you all don't mind my ignorance and can offer some advice.

Here is what I am working with:

MOBO: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD

(specs) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

(specs) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

The basic questions:

1) From the case, there are 3 2-pin plugs coming out, red, white, blue, green. They say: reset sw, hdd led, and power sw. Don't know where these go.

2) Also from the case, there is one red 30v SATA plug. Dont know where this goes either.

3) I also want to make sure I am doing this right. Currently, I have the power supply plugged into the optical drive, with a sata out to mobo. This is in the first slave Sata. I have my data hard drive in the second slave drive on the mobo, with power coming from pcu. Is it correct to have the large 'ribbon' plugged into the main hard drive and on the mobo as primary? I plan to have the os on this one, and just want to be sure it is right before frying anything.

4) Last but not least... I have a hi-def plug coming from the case. I have that plugged into the appropriate plug on the mobo, but attached to that plug is an 'AC97' plug. Not sure if I am supposed to do something with this or it is fine unplugged.

Thanks so much for any help/ advice!!!

thefattyman

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks... this post/ guide is actually what I used to get through the entire build!! It was great. Prob is, the directions that come with mobo and case do not give enough info/ direction regarding these plugs. Each refers me to the other. All the info I have read/ found keeps referring me elsewhere, where there is no specific answer. So I am just stuck 'guessing' until someone schools me. Thanks for your time!!

tecmo34

Administrator
The basic questions:

1) From the case, there are 3 2-pin plugs coming out, red, white, blue, green. They say: reset sw, hdd led, and power sw. Don't know where these go. This information is located on Page 25 of your manaul. The reset sw goes where the "RESET#" is located on the System Panel Header (#22 on the diagram on Pg 10), The power sw goes where the "PWRBTN#" is located on the System Panel Header (#22 on the diagram on Pg 10), and The hdd led goes where the "PLED+" is located on the System Panel Header (#22 on the diagram on Pg 10)

2) Also from the case, there is one red 30v SATA plug. Dont know where this goes either. This is plugged into any open SATA port on the motherboard to give you access to your E-SATA [SATAII_2, SATAII_3 or SATAII_4 (#17, #14 or #15 on the diagram on Pg10)].

3) I also want to make sure I am doing this right. Currently, I have the power supply plugged into the optical drive, with a sata out to mobo. This is in the first slave Sata. I have my data hard drive in the second slave drive on the mobo, with power coming from pcu. Is it correct to have the large 'ribbon' plugged into the main hard drive and on the mobo as primary? I plan to have the os on this one, and just want to be sure it is right before frying anything. The optical drive part sounds right but I would plug it into SATAII_2 or SATAII_3 (#17 or #14 on the diagram on Pg 10), since the normally SATAII_1 is normally best to put your SATA hard drive connected to. The data hard drive should be plugged in to SATAII_1 (#13 on the diagram on Pg10). It sounds like you have an IDE hard drive, which should be plugged into the Primary IDE (#9 on the diagram on Pg 10), so everything is good to go with your hard drives. I would recommend switching your OS to the SATA drive and data to IDE. SATA drives are typically faster and newer than IDE hard drives (of course without knowing the make, model and size of each can't say for sure).

4) Last but not least... I have a hi-def plug coming from the case. I have that plugged into the appropriate plug on the mobo, but attached to that plug is an 'AC97' plug. Not sure if I am supposed to do something with this or it is fine unplugged. The 'AC97' plug is not required to be plugged in. It is for motherboards that don't support HD Audio, so you would plug that in, instead of the HD plug

thefattyman

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Ok, the advice was awesome- everything seems to have worked great!! I am already playing games, and the 5850 w/ x4 955 is UNREAL!! Just one prob now.... The backup harddrive is not showing up. When I go into 'my computer', only the primary drive and optical show up. I think it is just a bios setting or something, cant be sure.

If it helps, since yesterday I realized i was not using that ide ribbon. I guess that is only if you have an older hd? So I have all 4 sata plugs: #1 for primary, #2 optical, #3 slave hd, and #4 for sata cable coming out of case like you mentioned earlier.

What did I do wrong, or what do I need to change?

Thanks again!!

tecmo34

Administrator
I'm thinking you need to format that drive to get it to show up. Here is what you need to do (I'm using XP at work right now so that is how I will explain it)...

1) Go to your Control Panel
2) Click on Administrative Tools
3) Click on Computer Management
4) Click on the + by Storage to open up (if not already opened)
5) Click on Disk Management
5) Find the second hard drive that should be showing on the screen and click on it
6) Right Mouse click on the drive and select Format (use the quick format option when formatting)

This should allow the Hard Drive to show up in your "My Computer" screen.

thefattyman

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks. I am using Win7, which does not offer the option of formatting (not that I see). The drive is showing up, and is simply labeled 'unallocated'. 'New simple volume' is the only thing that comes up as an option when I right click, or in another spot it only cays convert to dynamic disk or gpd disk. Is there something I might do in BIOS? I actually got nothing done in BIOS, since I was afraid to mess with stuff (and the directions dont say anything)

Thanks

thefattyman

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Oh, forgot to add fom your earlier post:

Main drive is: 150GB SATA 10000 Rpm 16MB Cache Drive (plugged in sata 1- primary)

Data drive is: Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AADS 640GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Thanks

thefattyman

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
That's it!! That was just what I needed - did the trick perfectly. Thanks a lot for that!!

Not to be greedy, but any advice on my 'performance score'?? Is there any settings I am missing?? I get all 7's (of 7.9), which is what I should get, in my opinion. But I only get a 5.9 on the Data Disk Transfer Rate (Primary Disk Drive). I was under the impression that a 10,000 RPM disk should be faster than the average 7200, and therefore get a better rating.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help!!!

tecmo34

Administrator
Updated
1) Go to your Start Menu
2) Right click on Cimputer
3) Select Manage
4) Click on the + by Storage to open up (if not already opened)
5) Click on Disk Management
5) Find the second hard drive that should be showing on the screen and click on it
6) Right Mouse click on the drive and select Format (use the quick format option when formatting)

Or follow what shortstuff_mt recommended :D