Building first PC right now will need help

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
So far so good.. taking it slow to make sure everything is right. Some stupid questions before I get to far.

Where the mobo goes there is a piece of paper like a template showing the holes where the mounting screws go. They are labeled ABCD ect. After I place the standoffs where they go do I leave the template or rip it out?

I have the cooler master case and it has the fancy slip in HD spots. You just insert HD into this bracket then slide it back in and snap the thing shut. Question is silver part of hd up or side with circuit board up?

Stay tuned for more questions. Oh and I'm assuming the fan on the Power supply faces down?

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Another stupid question.. The back panel where you slide the mobo into has these little tabs near all the holes . Do I bend those in or out? Its the rear I/O panel. Right now they seem to be in the way from the mobo going all the way over.

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Wow I'm lost with all these connections. is there any place to look at my mobo and case to get some ideas? MOBO is a gigabyte 790xta-ud4 and the case is a 922 haf cool master. All seem to be label with some sort of marking but the mobo/case instructions are killing me.

vigvoodoo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

You do not bend those, they act sort of like springs. I would recommend maybe having someone help you out in person. Or pay really close attention to all the pictures in the guide.

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I have the antec earthwatts 750w and I'm wondering about hooking it to the 5870 GPU. The GPU has 2 6 pin power connections. The PSU has 1 wire that is labeled PCI E and has 2 ends. Do I plug both of these into the video card? Is this considered 2 seperate connectors? ATI says 2 individual connectors, so I'm a little confused.

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Well I'm pretty much done except finding out about the video card. I see the PSU came with another cable that can hook up to the actual PSU. It has a red 8 pin that goes into the back of the psu and 6 pin on the other end which is what the video card has.

So I'm not sure if the one built into the PSU is a 6/8 pin and I can only use 1 and have to hook the other one up.

If anybody can shed some light on this that would be great. I'm going to bed now and finish up in the morning.

Thanks for the help and hopefully this thing will boot up. Then I might need some bios help.

tecmo34

Administrator
The Antec EA750 has two 6-pin PCI-e and two 6+2-pin PCI-e connectors, along with a 4-pin ATX and 8-pin ETX, which you plugged the 8-pin ETX into the MOBO already by the CPU. You need to use either the 6-pin or 6+2-pin PCI-e connectors for your GPU. If you use the 6+2-pin PCI-e connector, it is okay to have the 2 part hanging loose in the case.

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I guess I'm still confused. The one cable has a 6 pin and a 6+2 on one end. Do I hook up both 6 pins and leave the 2 hanging?

Or do I hook up the other supplied cable to the the PSU(red 8 pin connector on one end and a 6 and a 6+2 on other) and use one 6 pin on this and one on the other. Then there would be 2 6 pin plugged into the card and 2 6 pin+ 2 just hanging.

Am I confusing everybody else? I guess it would be easier to ask , do I need to plug in the extra cable into the PSU or I have it right?

tecmo34

Administrator

What do you have plugged into your ATX (4 or 8-pin) connector by your CPU? If your motherboard supports the 8-Pin ETX, I would plug that cable in and use the 6-pin on that plug, plus another 6+2 on the other. If you have the 4-pin ATX plugged in, I would just use the 6-pin and 6+2-pin connector.

In the end, it really doesn't matter as long as you have to 6-pin PCI-e connectors plugged into the GPU. :D