gimpacause

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Hi guys i am in the process of of quoting up a storage server for my new house, and the network engineer that i've been working with has been great in guiding up to this point, i would just like to know how hard something like what we have sorted out would be to implement to someone who hasn't touched linux/networking in over 10 years, i'm a very fast learner and know my way around computer systems (just not linux) i'll first write down the parts i have selected and the way he was going to implement the system

first of we were going to build 3 backblaze storage pods but replacing the mother board with a Intel S1200BTL to get one more pcie slot for a dual port 10gbe HP NC522SFP the idea was to have a main server with 2 of the HP NC522SFP Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter and then have the server see all 3 pods as one massive array, in the event of a catastrophic crash i would lose 1 entire backblaze pod before my data would be lost (losing 1 pod is fine any more than that and the data would be gone), how would i go about implementing a system like this?? we also haven't selected a switch but were looking at a cisco 48 port poe

thanks hopefully i've provided enough details any more info i'll provide it the best i can

once again, thanks guys

Are you running a buisness in your house? Do you work from home and need that much storage and backup space? I would think you need to provide more info as to why you would need such a setup in the first place. Do you really have that much data to store? Also you must have one big house to want a 48 port switch , are you putting two outlets in every room? Have you thought of wireless?

gimpacause

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
reason for that much storage is for blu ray backups, system dumps, music server, dvr duties, cctv storage, 48 port switch is about what i need most rooms will have 2 points on each wall, a few rooms will have between 4 and 16 ports in them, and yes the house will have wireless aswell