Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD vs. Intel, Whos Nicer?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 8:31:33 PM

ok, this is all about opinion, so no wrong answers, just illogical or un-backed up ones. so who do you think is a "nicer" company as of late, AMD or intel? i say AMD by quite a bit lately, but i want your opinions.

More about : amd intel whos nicer

May 2, 2010 8:33:42 PM

AMD, since Intel ate my kittens
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 8:35:51 PM

haha, yep, i agree...intel is EVIL! so im not a AMD fanboy, they are just nicer lol
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 8:44:41 PM

i just carried my pentium 4 520 to switch it with a pc in a public area that has a e7400, it wudnt boot at all, i had to instead switch for a pentium d from another pc, intel is evilll because i know people using quad cores that just released in 4+year old amd boards so intel, shame
May 2, 2010 9:36:03 PM

Neither of them remember my name, so I really can't vote. :( 
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 10:24:04 PM

^+1000 :lol: 

Anyways, neither companies care about you. They are out to make a profit.
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 10:31:57 PM

Without question AMD. Intel has illegally leveraged their market share against AMD, at least in the past, a la Microsoft. Maybe AMD would have done the same thing in their position, but I will not speculate as to what AMD MIGHT have done. We know what intel DID do. This is the primary reason I support AMD exclusively at this point.
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 10:37:38 PM

i dont even care much intel has copied and cheated, amd just uses a better socket system, is nice and releases platforms all at once, and actually has a budget sector...and no 1000$ cpus lol
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 11:03:59 PM

Your nice company had single core cpu's (desktop) for 1,000 dollars just a few years ago. Guess they weren't so nice then ? I would love to hear what other nice companies these people that assign this emotional underdog tag to AMD support. And why?
May 2, 2010 11:24:10 PM

ares1214 said:
i dont even care much intel has copied and cheated, amd just uses a better socket system, is nice and releases platforms all at once, and actually has a budget sector...and no 1000$ cpus lol

They wouldn't be priced that high if nobody bought them. They are aimed at a different portion of the market.

Perhaps AMD doesn't do this because they don't have a high-end chip that would sell at that price?

Remember, cheaper isn't always better.
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 11:31:49 PM

notty22 said:
Your nice company had single core cpu's (desktop) for 1,000 dollars just a few years ago. Guess they weren't so nice then ? I would love to hear what other nice companies these people that assign this emotional underdog tag to AMD support. And why?

AMD charges an arm and a leg when they are the top dog too. But trying to drive another company out of business with illegal market leveraging is a different story.

Some of us remember when Intel was a monopoly. And they tried really hard to keep it that way. A company that violates the law in order to be able to overcharge customers is not a business I want to support.

Supporting AMD keeps prices low. Its that simple.

a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 11:45:31 PM

Check out this AMD employee, who bilked stockholders out of millions for years.
http://newyork.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pressrel10/nyfo01071...
Quote:
From 2007 through October 2009, KUMAR continued to supply Inside Information to Rajaratnam, including information about AMD's financial performance and information about other McKinsey clients.
PREET BHARARA, the United States Attorney said: "With his guilty plea today, Anil Kumar acknowledged his role in a massive insider trading conspiracy, which was essentially a getrich- quick scheme for the already wealthy. His admission makes clear that there can never be a level playing field for investors so long as some players believe the rules don't apply to them. Greedy investors who cavalierly break the law to buy their way to even greater wealth will be treated for what they are: common criminals. Mr. Kumar has now taken responsibility for his crimes and will start assisting us in holding accountable other corrupt actors on Wall Street."

This is probably why AMD's vice presidents watched Phenom lead the way to AMD cpu division tanking. They were all getting rich, with insider trading.
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 11:47:57 PM

jona102190 said:
They wouldn't be priced that high if nobody bought them. They are aimed at a different portion of the market.

Perhaps AMD doesn't do this because they don't have a high-end chip that would sell at that price?

Remember, cheaper isn't always better.

No it's a simple case of economics.

You will always get a better cpu at the same price with AMD - just because they can't always reach the heights of intels very top end doesn't make AMD's top end junk.

Intel has very cleverly been deploying a halo effect against AMD for years now. That is why you still believe a 920 or 930 is a better idea than a 1090T, even after the benchmarks prove otherwise.

A lot of people out there would still take what they considered to be the 'safe' option by buying an i7 920 or 930. They will pay more for those systems compared to a 1090T, and subconsciously use intels i7 980X as the justification of why they made the right decision.

Anybody buying a 920 or 930, 860, 870, 940, 950, 965 or 975 right now is making the wrong decision in just about every position. A complete intel system built around ANY of those cpu's is going to be inferior to a 1090T on price performance, and most of them will just be inferior on plain old performance.
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 11:50:54 PM

notty22 said:
Check out this AMD employee, who bilked stockholders out of millions for years.
http://newyork.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pressrel10/nyfo01071...
Quote:
From 2007 through October 2009, KUMAR continued to supply Inside Information to Rajaratnam, including information about AMD's financial performance and information about other McKinsey clients.
PREET BHARARA, the United States Attorney said: "With his guilty plea today, Anil Kumar acknowledged his role in a massive insider trading conspiracy, which was essentially a getrich- quick scheme for the already wealthy. His admission makes clear that there can never be a level playing field for investors so long as some players believe the rules don't apply to them. Greedy investors who cavalierly break the law to buy their way to even greater wealth will be treated for what they are: common criminals. Mr. Kumar has now taken responsibility for his crimes and will start assisting us in holding accountable other corrupt actors on Wall Street."

This is probably why AMD's vice presidents watched Phenom lead the way to AMD cpu division tanking. They were all getting rich, with insider trading.

Did you even read or understand any of that?

Quote:
KUMAR was until recently a senior partner and director at the global management consulting firm McKinsey & Company ("McKinsey").

Quote:
From 2003 through 2009, KUMAR and Rajaratnam, who met in the 1980s while they were both at the same business school, conspired to engage in insider trading. As part of that conspiracy, KUMAR obtained material, nonpublic information ("Inside Information") from clients of McKinsey and provided that information to Rajaratnam

Quote:
Toward the end of 2005, KUMAR began advising Advanced Micro Devices ("AMD") about its potential acquisition of a graphics company.
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 11:53:53 PM

ok, even over the years, amd HAS had a better track record with the prices, especially now. but one of the main things is socket, intel makes u change socket like every new cpu, the am3 i bought a year ago is gonna be able to keep putting new cpus for a while yet, 1366 and 1156 are both already done... not to mention there is no backwards compatibility with intel, and they dont do the simple concept of bundling things together, such as Leo, Spider, Dragon...
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 12:00:45 AM

jennyh said:
Did you even read or understand any of that?

Yeah, did you? First the fellow while working and advising AMD about purchasing ATI, is linked with companies that bought millions of shares of ATI to sell on the day of AMD announced purchase, the high point of the stock that , goes to show you , only illegal insider traders received.
This guy is under scrutiny by the Stock Exchange, but still on the inside advising AMD, and working with insider traders, who do you think is benefiting from this public guinea pig ?
Its transparent.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 12:29:27 AM

notty, the only thing that is transparent is your brain.

This guy used AMD to make money. AMD brought him in as an *advisor* and he used his position to break the stock market rules. He has never been on the payroll of AMD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anil_Kumar_%28businessman%...

Quote:
Anil Kumar (born 1958) was an eminent and influential senior partner at management consultancy McKinsey & Company. He graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay in India, Imperial College in the UK, and the Wharton School in the US.

Kumar was widely admired for pioneering the concept of Knowledge Process Offshoring[1], which helped lay the groundwork for India's tremendous economic and outsourcing boom. Correctly predicting the rise of both Silicon Valley and India, he established and led McKinsey offices in both locations, Silicon Valley in the 80's and then India in the 90's. Together with Rajat Gupta, Kumar co-founded the Indian School of Business, today a top-ranked business school. He also co-chaired the Indian American Council at the Confederation of Indian Industry. Among other senior leadership roles at McKinsey, Kumar chaired the firm's Knowledge Center and Asia Center.

Despite these successes, Kumar maintained a low profile until a 2009 arrest in conjunction with an ongoing US governmental investigation into insider trading[2]. As of December 2009 he was no longer with the firm.[3] In January 2010 he pleaded guilty at a federal court in New York. [4]

Next time you go around trash talking about 'AMD employees', get your facts in order first please notty.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 12:33:14 AM

ok, i wasnt calling amd a saint, but IMO, and a lot of other people, they are just nicer in their dealing of business.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 12:39:31 AM

jennyh said:
notty, the only thing that is transparent is your brain.

This guy used AMD to make money. AMD brought him in as an *advisor* and he used his position to break the stock market rules. He has never been on the payroll of AMD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anil_Kumar_%28businessman%...

Quote:
Anil Kumar (born 1958) was an eminent and influential senior partner at management consultancy McKinsey & Company. He graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay in India, Imperial College in the UK, and the Wharton School in the US.

Kumar was widely admired for pioneering the concept of Knowledge Process Offshoring[1], which helped lay the groundwork for India's tremendous economic and outsourcing boom. Correctly predicting the rise of both Silicon Valley and India, he established and led McKinsey offices in both locations, Silicon Valley in the 80's and then India in the 90's. Together with Rajat Gupta, Kumar co-founded the Indian School of Business, today a top-ranked business school. He also co-chaired the Indian American Council at the Confederation of Indian Industry. Among other senior leadership roles at McKinsey, Kumar chaired the firm's Knowledge Center and Asia Center.

Despite these successes, Kumar maintained a low profile until a 2009 arrest in conjunction with an ongoing US governmental investigation into insider trading[2]. As of December 2009 he was no longer with the firm.[3] In January 2010 he pleaded guilty at a federal court in New York. [4]

Next time you go around trash talking about 'AMD employees', get your facts in order first please notty.

This coming from the paranoid who runs around starting threads about this website , or this author being corrupt. Lets see, today its bit tech, yesterday its Anand. Nvidia and Intel are evil according to you. Oh and then theres the freak outs over the video card hierarchy charts. And the accusations of impropriety in the video card o/c article. Thats just the last 4 months.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 12:45:53 AM

wow, hows about you just keep avoiding the valid points i keep making! :fou: 
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 12:55:17 AM

notty22 said:
This coming from the paranoid who runs around starting threads about this website , or this author being corrupt. Lets see, today its bit tech, yesterday its Anand. Nvidia and Intel are evil according to you. Oh and then theres the freak outs over the video card hierarchy charts. And the accusations of impropriety in the video card o/c article. Thats just the last 4 months.

The difference is notty, I actually spend some time thinking about it before making those accusations.

You on the other hand are just desperately reaching out for 'bad news' about AMD. The last one was you linking that x3 - reunion benchmark as 'proof' of the 1090T being worse than the 965 BE. - the 1090T beats the 965 BE in 8/10 benchmarks and my thread is the proof of it.

Before that you linked the article that showed the phenom II losing *once* to the overclocked i3 530 was it? But you didn't even realise I'd check the whole article and point out that the i7 870 was LAST in just about all of the benchmarks - well behind all the phenoms, even the x3 720.

If you think you have a point to make, make sure you've done your research notty. I have. Every time. :) 
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 12:59:10 AM

this isnt about performance!
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:03:47 AM

Quote:
If you think you have a point to make, make sure you've done your research notty. I have. Every time. :) 
You know thats laughable right, you doing your research. Your the queen of tunnel vision. Also, I bet it will surface the main benefactors of the illegal trades will just happen to be from Abu Dhabi.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:05:38 AM

ares1214 said:
wow, hows about you just keep avoiding the valid points i keep making! :fou: 

This is what happens when Amd vs Intel are in the same title :( 
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:07:35 AM

@notty22, make a point already and take a side, intel or amd, say one so we can agree or disagree. you are getting at amd isnt perfect, which none of us said it was! im just saying intel is a lot less perfect!
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:07:37 AM

Yes we're talking about the 'nicer' company.

I've moved it on to notty22's attempts at disproving AMD's 'nice factor', in order to show that what he says is unreliable.

notty has been linking garbage 'evidence' about AMD the company, and the products for months. Instead of attempting to argue against his position, it's easier and faster to expose him as the charlatan he is.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:08:28 AM

notty22 said:
Quote:
You know thats laughable right, you doing your research. Your the queen of tunnel vision. Also, I bet it will surface the main benefactors of the illegal trades will just happen to be from Abu Dhabi.

You are willing to actually gamble on that?

I'm not adverse to a bet notty. Especially ones I know I'm going to win. :) 
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:15:35 AM

I've just shown how notty is so biased against AMD he will use any bad news as 'fact'.

The i3 530 benchmark (overclocked) beat the Phenom II once or twice? While the i7 870 lost to the phenoms every single time (12 benchmarks).

Notty linked about the only benchmark I saw where the 965 beat the 1090T by a reasonable margin. I looked at ALL of them and that X3 benchmark was the ONLY one that showed such a difference.

And now we have him here, trying to pretend some guy who works for a business firm and advised AMD is somehow an 'AMD employee' and "This is probably why AMD's vice presidents watched Phenom lead the way to AMD cpu division tanking. They were all getting rich, with insider trading."

Ye right notty. Not a bad attempt but come back when you have some hair on your chest. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:16:08 AM

^+1 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  gotta give you points for the last remark :D 
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:17:23 AM

As for which one nicer. I say niether as they both want my money. ;) 

Now i would say amd be nicer on my money but even if i built an amd system 5 to 6 years ago instead of the P4 im using now, i would still have to do a system overhaul. Back then they were either on the 754 or 939 socket which had no cpu upgrade path unlike today.

So for now i say neither.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:21:52 AM

good point warmon, thanks for staying on topic :D  and as of now, it seems like amd is gonna keep the am1>>>am1+>>>am2>>>am2+>>>am3>>>am3+.... so if they keep that going, my nice award goes to them...
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:31:19 AM

AMD is the 'nicer' company. It is why they don't make so much money.

Many people would consider this to be a drawback, and they were almost proven right. However, AMD has a pretty fanatical following of people who *do what is right*.

Once you are a real AMD fanboy/girl, you never, ever go back. Intel fanboys and Nvidia fanboys go where they think the performance is. Sure there is a tiny minority of complete whackheads like Chad, but generally speaking the rest of them will go where they think the best performance is - even though none of them ever owned a very top performing cpu of either intel or AMD.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:37:58 AM

ALL BS!!!!!

VIA IS THE NICIEST COMPANY EVER!!!!!
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:44:45 AM

Oh yeah definitely, Intel is the evil one because their CPU's are more expensive and they make more profit. You people should hear yourselves, you sound like flaming capitalismphobes. Lets look at this topic objectively. Lets face it, none of the companies care about you....or any of your opinions for that matter. They care about profit, hence why they are called a business. The only difference between the two is Intel leans toward a consumer range a bit higher in terms of money than AMD does. Its basically like Walmart and Target, target is made for people with a little more money...its your consumer range and it differs slightly, now this doesn't mean both don't have expensive things, but the majority of thier product (AMD) is on the cheaper side. You people are biased, none of the companies are "nicer", they both just are businesses trying to do what they are made for...make money, and they don't give a damn about you. You are just a tool to them that they need to convince to buy from them :) .
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2010 1:50:41 AM

AMW1011 said:
ALL BS!!!!!

VIA IS THE NICIEST COMPANY EVER!!!!!

Nah, surely it's Sony.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:51:46 AM

while i agree with this, amd does still present an easier buy and upgrading experience for a consumer. their socket upgrade path is wayyy better, and it just so happens that right now, they have a way better price to performance ratio, and no $1000 cpus...i wasnt saying so much for the past 10 years, just more of the past 2 years or so...
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2010 1:54:22 AM

ares1214 said:
while i agree with this, amd does still present an easier buy and upgrading experience for a consumer. their socket upgrade path is wayyy better, and it just so happens that right now, they have a way better price to performance ratio, and no $1000 cpus...i wasnt saying so much for the past 10 years, just more of the past 2 years or so...

Unlike yourself some peoples memories and experiances go a lot further back than a mere two years.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 1:58:24 AM

Nice company ? Three letters . TLB bug !
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 2:03:57 AM

yeah, but im not buying amd and intel products from more than 2 years ago, im talking mainly about now.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2010 2:08:34 AM

ares1214 said:
yeah, but im not buying amd and intel products from more than 2 years ago, im talking mainly about now.

But why should everyone else conform to your way and/or timeline of thinking?
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 2:12:54 AM

this is why im asking for opinions...?
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2010 2:18:57 AM

ares1214 said:
this is why im asking for opinions...?

In another post you have already decided that Intel change sockets every Christmas whilst AMD stick with the same socket for years and so this made them better, which had me looking at the 478, Slot A, Socket A, Socket 754 and 939 CPU's that I have lying around and wondering what the hell you are on about.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 2:23:43 AM

ares1214 said:

I don't understand your logic...you are saying AMD is nicer than Intel they because "Don't" offer 1000 dollar CPU's? How are you going to judge how nice they are by what they offer...You think AMD is nicer because they offer low budget range CPU's while Intel offers both low and high budget? Your logic contradicts itself and makes not a bit of sense.
May 3, 2010 5:00:00 AM

I can't tell, since I got both Intel(CPU) and AMD(GPU) in my current rig. As long as they don't break down on me, I consider them nice.
May 3, 2010 5:46:49 AM

jennyh said:
No it's a simple case of economics.

You will always get a better cpu at the same price with AMD - just because they can't always reach the heights of intels very top end doesn't make AMD's top end junk.

Intel has very cleverly been deploying a halo effect against AMD for years now. That is why you still believe a 920 or 930 is a better idea than a 1090T, even after the benchmarks prove otherwise.

A lot of people out there would still take what they considered to be the 'safe' option by buying an i7 920 or 930. They will pay more for those systems compared to a 1090T, and subconsciously use intels i7 980X as the justification of why they made the right decision.

Anybody buying a 920 or 930, 860, 870, 940, 950, 965 or 975 right now is making the wrong decision in just about every position. A complete intel system built around ANY of those cpu's is going to be inferior to a 1090T on price performance, and most of them will just be inferior on plain old performance.

Again here you go putting words in everyone's mouth, no called AMD's cpu junk but yourself.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 5:50:50 AM

notty22 said:
Nice company ? Three letters . TLB bug !

Four letters: FDIV bug!

I've never spoken to anyone at AMD, and have only briefly spoken with an Intel engineer. Since engineers don't represent the company that's a moot point. I've spoken to neither, so I don't know which is nicer. I suppose whichever gives me the most candy.
May 3, 2010 4:32:53 PM

They are corporations that BOTH will do ANYTHING to maximize their profits and fulfill their responsibilities to the stockholders. If playing dirty will result in better results, none of them will hesitate a second.

You have no idea how many companies that rather takes a fine than follow laws and regulations simply because they make/save much more money that way than what they get fined.

They are cold, greedy corporations. Period. Stop loving the logos and base your purchases on who has the products that suit your needs. Anything else is just plain stupid and makes you the looser.
May 3, 2010 4:49:31 PM

Again, JennyH comes to preach about her misinformed opinion using the year old' Westboro Baptist Church approach...

a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 6:06:09 PM

I think the better question would have been "AMD vs. Intel, who do you think is nicer?"
I think AMD. Hail AMD!

Stupid? Definitely not... I have enough loose money to buy an i7 980x but I am afraid buying that is just what's going to make me stupid.
!