CoreV won't go up to what I set it to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wineclaw

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Q9550 @ 3.2Ghz
GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0)

I was running the IntelBurnTest 10 times for a quick stability test and I noticed that the CoreV is at 1.2498v under load, right under its VID of 1.25v.

After the tests end, the CoreV goes up to ~1.312v (idle CPU).

In the BIOS (F8 version since my Q9550 is C1), I have the voltage set as 1.35v for the sake of stability.

This is keeping me from getting my CPU up to 3.4Ghz: The voltage refuses to go up to 1.35v and causes my PC to lock up when I'm at 3.4Ghz.

What do I do?

Solution
Don't forget about that vdroop. My processor @ 4Ghz with 1.2v would drop to about 1.185 or so with max load according to CPUID Hardware Monitor. I don't run fixed voltage anymore so I don't have to combat with vdroop as much.

Either way, vdroop is normal. If you set to a higher voltage and the board doesn't reach it, then there is a problem somewhere.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Well the voltage dropping to 1.2498 during load from the idle of 1.312 is probably just vdroop as the processor is pulling power.

However, the voltages you see in windows; I wouldn't always trust them. Check your BIOS to see what types of voltages you're seeing in there. Second, if you're maxed out on the boards voltage; maybe you just can't toss more voltage to it?

I have noticed that different programs read voltages differently. Maybe switching to another program and trying to see what results they can give you. I use a few different ones personally to read the voltages/temps/fan speeds. The one that came with my motherboard, CPUID Hardware Monitor, CPU-Z, and once in a while I'll even pull up other software just to make sure.

Wineclaw

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
CPUID HM
SpeedFan
CPU-Z
Core Temp

All say the same thing at idle and under load.

BIOS gives me a slightly higher voltage.

I've switched the voltage controls back to [AUTO] for now. This is what I had the last time I had this board and CPU at 3.4Ghz.

I'm going to test the CPU again and see what voltages I get.

EDIT: Idle is 1.31, load is still 1.294v

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Don't forget about that vdroop. My processor @ 4Ghz with 1.2v would drop to about 1.185 or so with max load according to CPUID Hardware Monitor. I don't run fixed voltage anymore so I don't have to combat with vdroop as much.

Either way, vdroop is normal. If you set to a higher voltage and the board doesn't reach it, then there is a problem somewhere.

Solution

Wineclaw

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Interesting thing:

Set the BIOS core V to the highest safest level for the Q9550: 1.365v

I now get 1.312v/1.328v idle and 1.296v under load.

Can I compensate for vdroop by setting the BIOS voltage higher than 1.365v or would that be too risky?

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I definitely wouldn't attempt to fight too much vdroop by rolling more voltage into it like that. What's the max voltage for that CPU anyways?.

Intel says "0.8500V-1.3625V" is the range so; I'd be wary pushing that much voltage into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.