Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to make unallocated space into a partition

Last response: in Storage
March 7, 2012 3:01:17 PM

I have recently bought a laptop with 500gb of HDD space. The "experienced" people at the computer store installed windows on a 100gb partiton and left those 400 ( 365 to be precise ) gigabytes unallocated. How do i make them into a normal partition without reinstalling windows and without the risk of messing something up?

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 7, 2012 3:47:19 PM

Go into your computer management - go to storage - disk management - you should see "Unallocated" space after your "C" drive. Right click on it and mark it as active/or create a new simple volume and assign a drive letter to it..
a b G Storage
March 7, 2012 3:50:37 PM

The disk management utility will allow you to do this. Go through admin tools/computer management or type "disk management" in the search bar in windows 7

Where did you get this computer from? I am just curious as laptops genearlly come from a major manufacturer and this computer shop seems to be very inept

EDIT: what chainzsaw said. slow typing and you beat me lol
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2012 5:08:25 PM

unksol said:
The disk management utility will allow you to do this. Go through admin tools/computer management or type "disk management" in the search bar in windows 7

Where did you get this computer from? I am just curious as laptops genearlly come from a major manufacturer and this computer shop seems to be very inept

EDIT: what chainzsaw said. slow typing and you beat me lol

It's a dell PC, dell inspiron N5110, but it came without an OS so i brought it to the local PC store and let them install it. Thank you both for help!
m
l
March 7, 2012 5:09:52 PM

Best answer selected by 4eyed.
m
l
August 2, 2012 7:06:06 AM

server 2003 r2 working storage drive now showing unallocated space how to recoved
m
l
August 28, 2012 2:48:20 AM

4eyed said:
I have recently bought a laptop with 500gb of HDD space. The "experienced" people at the computer store installed windows on a 100gb partiton and left those 400 ( 365 to be precise ) gigabytes unallocated. How do i make them into a normal partition without reinstalling windows and without the risk of messing something up?

Use Aomei partition assistant, server edition has published its 5.1 version, very useful you can read this tutorial http://www.***/windows-server-2008/windows-server-2008-resize-partition.html and follow the instruction step by step, good luck.
m
l
February 24, 2013 4:56:22 AM

:bounce:  :hello:  :)  thanks for the discussions.
m
l
!