strider

Hi there,

I read the back of the Thief:Deadly Shadows box today, and it says
"Windows
95/98/ME not supported". Does anyone know whether this means that it
won't run,
or that it hasn't been checked and tech support will laugh at you if you
have a
problem?

I'd like to know, before I spend a whole week downloading the demo
(439MB!) or
spend £5 on a magazine that I otherwise don't want.

I thought the demo was supposed to be made available in the latest
edition of PC
Gamer (out today), but judging from the writing on the bag they've put
it in, it
isn't.

Thanks.

--
www.stri.tk

"Confutatis maledictis" -- when the wicked are
confounded. "Flammis Acribus Adictis." How would you
translate that?
Consigned to flames of woe.
Do you believe it?
What?
A fire which never dies, burning you forever?
Oh yes.

"Strider" <email-address@signature.okies> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I read the back of the Thief:Deadly Shadows box today, and it says
> "Windows
> 95/98/ME not supported". Does anyone know whether this means that it
> won't run,
> or that it hasn't been checked and tech support will laugh at you if you
> have a
> problem?
>
> I'd like to know, before I spend a whole week downloading the demo
> (439MB!) or
> spend £5 on a magazine that I otherwise don't want.
>
> I thought the demo was supposed to be made available in the latest
> edition of PC
> Gamer (out today), but judging from the writing on the bag they've put
> it in, it
> isn't.
>
> Thanks.

How's life in alt.games.half-life?

not been in there for years heh.

Replied to the thread about this problem in there though.

Cookie McCrumble

strider

Cookie McCrumble proclaimed...

> How's life in alt.games.half-life?
>
> not been in there for years heh.
>
> Replied to the thread about this problem in there though.

Yeah. I just replied to your reply :)

Yeah, Half-life is picking back up after a lull. Obviously with the
advent of Half-life2 things are starting to get jiggy :)

There are a few regulars who were absent and are now back, Sloth,
Wildstyle and of course the lovely Iphi.

--
www.stri.tk

"Axl Rose is an idiot with the voice of a ten-year-old
girl choking to death on a brillo pad"

Strider <email-address@signature.okies> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I read the back of the Thief:Deadly Shadows box today, and it says
> "Windows
> 95/98/ME not supported". Does anyone know whether this means that it
> won't run,
> or that it hasn't been checked and tech support will laugh at you if you
> have a
> problem?
>
> I'd like to know, before I spend a whole week downloading the demo
> (439MB!) or
> spend £5 on a magazine that I otherwise don't want.

The demo did _not_ run on my Win98. The installer runs but you just
cannot start the game. It immediately coughs up an error dialog.

I'm running Linux 98 percent of the time and use Windows only to play
games (the few that won't run with wine). Unfortunately none of the
Thief games are working with wine and now it's a Thief game again,
thats forcing me to find that XP disk that came with my notebook and
that I vowed never to use. This 30-days-and-then-registration stuff
turns me off.

Ole

fred

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:36:32 GMT, Strider <email-address@signature.okies>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I read the back of the Thief:Deadly Shadows box today, and it says
> "Windows
> 95/98/ME not supported". Does anyone know whether this means that it
> won't run,
> or that it hasn't been checked and tech support will laugh at you if you
> have a
> problem?
>
> I'd like to know, before I spend a whole week downloading the demo
> (439MB!) or
> spend £5 on a magazine that I otherwise don't want.
>
> I thought the demo was supposed to be made available in the latest
> edition of PC
> Gamer (out today), but judging from the writing on the bag they've put
> it in, it
> isn't.
>
> Thanks.

Funnily enough I bought the actual game to encourage me to upgrade my OS
and was just about to post the same question after looking at the box.
Unfortunately I've been sent the DVD version by Play so I can't even try
it myself ;-(

Fred

"Fred" <alexserv@himki.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:36:32 GMT, Strider <email-address@signature.okies>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I read the back of the Thief:Deadly Shadows box today, and it says
> > "Windows
> > 95/98/ME not supported". Does anyone know whether this means that it
> > won't run,
> > or that it hasn't been checked and tech support will laugh at you if you
> > have a
> > problem?
> >
> > I'd like to know, before I spend a whole week downloading the demo
> > (439MB!) or
> > spend £5 on a magazine that I otherwise don't want.
> >
> > I thought the demo was supposed to be made available in the latest
> > edition of PC
> > Gamer (out today), but judging from the writing on the bag they've put
> > it in, it
> > isn't.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Funnily enough I bought the actual game to encourage me to upgrade my OS
> and was just about to post the same question after looking at the box.
> Unfortunately I've been sent the DVD version by Play so I can't even try
> it myself ;-(

A bit of encouragement to get a DVD drive eh?

:eek:)

fred

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 21:58:57 +0100, Cookie McCrumble
<cookiemccrumble@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Fred" <alexserv@himki.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:36:32 GMT, Strider
>> <email-address@signature.okies>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I read the back of the Thief:Deadly Shadows box today, and it says
>> > "Windows
>> > 95/98/ME not supported". Does anyone know whether this means that it
>> > won't run,
>> > or that it hasn't been checked and tech support will laugh at you if
>> you have a problem?
>> >
>> > I'd like to know, before I spend a whole week downloading the demo
>> > (439MB!) or
>> > spend £5 on a magazine that I otherwise don't want.
>> >
>> > I thought the demo was supposed to be made available in the latest
>> > edition of PC
>> > Gamer (out today), but judging from the writing on the bag they've put
>> > it in, it isn't.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>> Funnily enough I bought the actual game to encourage me to upgrade my OS
>> and was just about to post the same question after looking at the box.
>> Unfortunately I've been sent the DVD version by Play so I can't even try
>> it myself ;-(
>>

> A bit of encouragement to get a DVD drive eh?
>
> :eek:)

Yeah I did think about it, but I can't afford more memory, a xp upgrade, a
new graphics card AND a DVD drive all at once. (And a new hard drive now
I've
also noticed how much space it needs i.e. 3GB!! I was using a 4GB HD as my
main
drive not that long ago!)

Fred

"Strider" <email-address@signature.okies> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I read the back of the Thief:Deadly Shadows box today, and it says
> "Windows
> 95/98/ME not supported". Does anyone know whether this means that it
> won't run,
> or that it hasn't been checked and tech support will laugh at you if you
> have a
> problem?

it's not supported.. but you may try.. if it crashes that's your problem.

> I'd like to know, before I spend a whole week downloading the demo
> (439MB!) or
> spend £5 on a magazine that I otherwise don't want.

..... I spent less than 1 hr BT'ing it but it won't run of my laptop..lol

> I thought the demo was supposed to be made available in the latest
> edition of PC
> Gamer (out today), but judging from the writing on the bag they've put
> it in, it
> isn't.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> www.stri.tk
>
> "Confutatis maledictis" -- when the wicked are
> confounded. "Flammis Acribus Adictis." How would you
> translate that?
> Consigned to flames of woe.
> Do you believe it?
> What?
> A fire which never dies, burning you forever?
> Oh yes.

strider

pplppp proclaimed...

> it's not supported.. but you may try.. if it crashes that's your problem.

Not my problem, I was asking on behalf of someone else :)

I have XP.