Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5K-C + HyperX, got problem

Last response: in Motherboards
October 11, 2010 12:41:18 PM

Hello everyone!

Got problem with the PC. Here's the configuration:
MB ASUS P5K-C (combo board with both ddr2 and ddr3)
RAM 2x2 ddr3 kingston HyperX 9-9-9-27 (KHX16009D3/2G)
CPU E4500 @ 2.2Ghz /HD4830

So, i bough the mobo nearly 3 years ago and used it with A-DATA ddr2 2x1Gb 800 Mhz. Recently made upgrade to the Kingstons, and installed Windows 7 ultimate 64bit edition. Got blue screen for a second counting to 100:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/helladin/290820...

Then restart.
This happens only when I'm using more than 2gb RAM with any windows 7.

What I did so far:
latest bioss for the mainboard - same problems
Installed separately each memory module in both ddr3 sockets. Everything work fine as long it's running with 2 Gb.
Installed compleatly diffrent ddr2 2x2Gb kit A-Data 1066 mhz. Same thing
Installed 4x1Gb ddr2 800 mhz, again same error, even while using 3 gb
typed manualy the latency in the bioss
installed diffrent versions of windows 7, including x86 and 64 bit.
Everything works fine with the old XP SP3, only it finds 3.25 gb ram.

Personaly I think the mainboard is deffecting. Any chance to be the CPU?

Suggest, and thanks for Your attention!
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
October 11, 2010 2:04:37 PM

Welcome Newcomer! :) 

The problem seems to be your new choice of RAM not playing well with your old RAM {Stop 0×00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA = "...This is usually caused by defective RAM (once again, including Ram on your motherboard, L2 cache and video card ram)...

Mixing RAM that does NOT have the same Type (never mix DDR3 & DDR2), Speed, CAS & Voltage is not a good idea. The simplest "fix" is to replace your RAM with equal or like kind RAM or replace your old RAM entirely. Further, I only recommend RAM that is either Certified {ASUS QVL} or Tested by RAM Mfg.

Next to test this, remove the OLD RAM and start-up you PC - next replace with OLD RAM ; always installing in the correct DIMM slots. If it runs BOTH times then it's a compatibility problem. Worst, to Jerry-Rig you have to use the WORST of each Speed & CAS + "try" to split the differences in Voltage disparity {e.g. 1.5 / 1.65 ~ 1.6V}.

Kingston {Tested} - http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/models...

Good Luck!
a c 295 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 11, 2010 2:19:36 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

If u want avoid that problems u need go with any of the kits in this list: http://www.asus.com/999/download/products/1694/1694_10.... since those mobos with DDR2 and DDR3 are very wear and can have problems for almost anything.

Finally test all the RAM that u tried in other mobo if the RAM works fine the problem should be the mobo.
Related resources
October 12, 2010 1:45:18 PM

saint19 said:

Finally test all the RAM that u tried in other mobo if the RAM works fine the problem should be the mobo.

Did that, the second kit(A-Data ddr2 @ 1066 2x2Gb) is working perfectly on G31 based motherboard. I'll try to borrow his cpu for any case, will post results.
a c 295 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 12, 2010 4:43:10 PM

I will wait for it.
October 14, 2010 1:53:26 PM

Today made tests with E5200. As expected got crash. I'm completely sure it's not from memory modules, will try to install other versions of windows(XPx64, VISTA)and/or check Win7 FAQ to see what happens.
If find solution will surely write again. Thanks jaquith and saint19, at least learned some stuff about compatibility=)
!