Solved

[NVIDIA] Computer is eating my cards! WTF!? halp

I'm running SLi on an EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI motherboard, dual 8800GTS 640MB OC2. The bottom card keeps blowing up, aka lines show up all over the screen after a day or so of use (I will run SLi for a day or 2, and then randomly turn the computer on and it won't recognize SLi. I will put the bottom card in the top slot and what do ya know, there are lines everywhere and u cant see anything). This is the THIRD card that I have had replaced and I am scared to send this one back in because I am afraid they are gonna tell me I am ruining the card (which I think i am, cept my computer is!)

Question is...is it my motherboard PCI slot doing this?? Could it be my powersupply connector supplying too much power? is it space aliens? WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF HALP
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about nvidia computer eating cards halp
  1. It's space aliens.

No.
    Seriously.
  2. Your bottom PCI-E slot PROBABLY has a blown thingamagig that overvolts the card after some time.
  3. damn ... well thats what i figured, something todo with overvoltage to the card in that slot or something along those lines ... i guess im just gonna let the 8800 collect dust then and not send it in, its not worth it? ... cuz im gonna send it in, get a new one...and not use it beacuse im not gonna get a new motherboard anytime soon (plus, i cant even find one that would fit two 8800's anymore anyways)...

looks like its just 1 8800GTS until i got the $$ for an entirely new system! thanks for the response!
  4. You can send it in, and then send it to me, since you're not using it, :).
  5. Best answer
    Make sure your pci-e frequency is set to 100 in bios. It can be set to auto sometimes and if your o/c other things, it might be higher than 100. Google o/c pci-e frequency and you will see that it kills video cards and hard drives. I've not witnessed this first hand, I believe.
  6. notty22 said:
    Make sure your pci-e frequency is set to 100 in bios. It can be set to auto sometimes and if your o/c other things, it might be higher than 100. Google o/c pci-e frequency and you will see that it kills video cards and hard drives. I've not witnessed this first hand, I believe.

hmm where would i find this "frequency" ... i dont think i have any BIOS options for PCI-e but i will have to take a look and get back to this
  7. Best answer selected by bwilk87.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer SLI Nvidia Graphics