Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[NVIDIA] Computer is eating my cards! WTF!? halp

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2010 1:17:48 AM

I'm running SLi on an EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI motherboard, dual 8800GTS 640MB OC2. The bottom card keeps blowing up, aka lines show up all over the screen after a day or so of use (I will run SLi for a day or 2, and then randomly turn the computer on and it won't recognize SLi. I will put the bottom card in the top slot and what do ya know, there are lines everywhere and u cant see anything). This is the THIRD card that I have had replaced and I am scared to send this one back in because I am afraid they are gonna tell me I am ruining the card (which I think i am, cept my computer is!)

Question is...is it my motherboard PCI slot doing this?? Could it be my powersupply connector supplying too much power? is it space aliens? WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF HALP
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 15, 2010 1:31:36 AM

It's space aliens.

No.
Seriously.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 15, 2010 1:32:12 AM

Your bottom PCI-E slot PROBABLY has a blown thingamagig that overvolts the card after some time.
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2010 3:23:18 AM

damn ... well thats what i figured, something todo with overvoltage to the card in that slot or something along those lines ... i guess im just gonna let the 8800 collect dust then and not send it in, its not worth it? ... cuz im gonna send it in, get a new one...and not use it beacuse im not gonna get a new motherboard anytime soon (plus, i cant even find one that would fit two 8800's anymore anyways)...

looks like its just 1 8800GTS until i got the $$ for an entirely new system! thanks for the response!
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 15, 2010 3:25:05 AM

You can send it in, and then send it to me, since you're not using it, :) .
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 15, 2010 3:43:20 AM

Make sure your pci-e frequency is set to 100 in bios. It can be set to auto sometimes and if your o/c other things, it might be higher than 100. Google o/c pci-e frequency and you will see that it kills video cards and hard drives. I've not witnessed this first hand, I believe.
February 15, 2010 3:56:01 AM

notty22 said:
Make sure your pci-e frequency is set to 100 in bios. It can be set to auto sometimes and if your o/c other things, it might be higher than 100. Google o/c pci-e frequency and you will see that it kills video cards and hard drives. I've not witnessed this first hand, I believe.

hmm where would i find this "frequency" ... i dont think i have any BIOS options for PCI-e but i will have to take a look and get back to this
m
l
February 22, 2010 12:02:28 AM

Best answer selected by bwilk87.
m
l
!