G41M-ES2L - cant get CPU temp data :(

ashtoreth

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Hi all,

Ive been a reader here for a year or so and your collective advice and knowledge has bailed me out of trouble on more than one occasion, so a belated thank you is overdue to tou all :). This time though i couldnt find any posts related to the problem i now have so i signed up in the hope that people more wise than i can help me.

I had an old Compaq (off the shelf) piece of garbage that used to be my ain PC until recently. However i decided to have a play at upgrading and just wanted a PC that was more passable than the old P4 that was inside it from stock.

So i did some research based on my required spend and opted for a Gigabyte G41M-ES2L Rev 1.1 mobo, and a cheap as chips Pentium E5400 to throw at it.

The problem i have is this.... the upgrade went fine and the PC seems pretty healthy but for one thing. I am unable to monitor temps from the CPU.
The bios shows the temp no problems (at 24degC) but ive tried almost every CPU temp monitoring utility and they all do the same thing...

The readings from core 0 = 43degC and from core 1 = 37degC and i cant seem to get the temps to register any changes under load with Prime95.

I can only assume ive missed a setting on the bios but i will admit that is the 1st time ive dipped a toe at anything more adventurous than a ram or gpu upgrade, and im totally stumped as to how to resolve it.

So i turn to you guys in the hope that someone knows what i have done wrong (i accept full responsibility for all my noobness :))

thanks in advance :)

ashtoreth

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Thanks for the responses :)

So far ive tried HWMonitor, CoreTemp and Speedfan(crashed my system and had to hard reset).

I may try a fresh install of speedfan as it was installed before the mobo change and may have got its panties in a bunch.

The utilities ive used so far all give the same readings and dont change at all under 100% CPU load so im at a loss.

ashtoreth

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I just tried a fresh install of Speedfan and this time it didnt crash, but it reads the same as the other utilities :(

ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm not sure why your system is crashing. Are you overclocked at all? is your ram and everything at stock specs? Usually if your not stable and try running prime95 and a temp monitoring program you pc will crash. If you can try raising the core voltage a tad.

ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I know with my AMD if your running prime under a load and the core voltage isn't high enough it will shut down. But im not sure why if your not overclocked it would do this. What ram are you running?

tx-jose

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
wow im not sure why your system is crashing...i mean i run speed fan on my XPS laptop M1210 with core 2 duo and 2gb of ram i mean its not all that great but it works. gives me load temps adn idle depending on systems performance. like Prime95

ashtoreth

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Here you go, tried all these programs below so far and as u can see the results are always the same and dont change even when 100% CPU loaded.

The PC dont crash at all, it was just a bad install of speedfan that froze my PC. A fresh install fixed the problem.

Ram is a stock 2Gb stick of Kensington PC2-6400 CL6.

Processor has a small O/C to try and warm things up (which didnt work) and make the temps change when running Prime95, but nothing that will cook it beyond repair running at 3.0 instead of 2.7 stock.

As a rig, it isnt gonna win any prizes for performance, i wanted something to play with that was cheap so that if i blow anything up i wont be crying about it :)

w9ejkh.jpg
[/img]

ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
looks good. If your not getting into th 60c range when under load you should be golden! i think you may be able to change the values on core #2 so the temps get about equal. If you notice how much of core 1 is being used to core 2. I just saw your temps on coretemp for the second core didn't match the highest temps of core 1. But i'm not an expert with intel.

ashtoreth

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Sorry guys, maybe ive not made it clear about the problem....

No matter what i do to try and make the temps move up or down, they wont. I fear the temp readings are incorrect and need help to get the readings to update.
Most of the readings take measurements every couple of seconds and u can see them constantly being updated, but not the core temps, they just sit at the same temps no matter what.

While i dont mind boiling components, id rather not and to help me not roast silicon id like to be able to rely on the temp readings im getting. I just dont think i can trust them and thing there is a problem with the sensing somewhere. However that knowledge is totally beyond me and im looking for input from those more knowledgable than i on the subject :)

tx-jose

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

^^^what he said

I do know that for a fact that the newer CPUs have it built in but im not 100% on weather the older cpu's do or not and witch ones of them do .