Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Randomly Turned Off

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2010 10:55:53 PM

Anyhow, i run Windows 7 at the moment and i was playing a game when my computer randomly turned off which it has never done before in the past month i've owned it. Simply pressing power wouldn't bring it back on either, i had to turn the power supply off then back on to be able to turn on the computer.
February 24, 2010 10:57:45 PM

MB: MSI 790FX GD70
CPU: Phenom X4 965
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2010 11:26:22 PM

The fact that you could not turn the power supply back on until you disconnected the mains, means that the power supply turned itself off because it detected a fault condition. This could be due to the power supply getting to hot, or to much current was being drawn, or there was power surge, or the power supply is faulty. If this was a one off event then I wouldn’t worry about it, if it keeps on happening then you may need to replace the power supply (for a bigger one).
Related resources
February 24, 2010 11:50:12 PM

the power supply is big enough for the computer (Corsair 750). I too am hoping it is just one off event.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2010 12:22:40 AM

If it's that I'd prolly RMA it if it happens again.
m
l
February 26, 2010 1:10:39 AM

happened again today and when i tried to go in windows safe mode it did it again. I've had it for about 2 months now, will i still be able to RMA it? Is it definently the power supply?
m
l
February 26, 2010 1:21:51 AM

turned on again and it said that windows had to be restored/repaired. I simply turned the computer off when it gave me an option as i don't feel like messing with this tonight. Definitely not having good impressions with my first homebuilt computer or windows 7.

Full Specs:
CPU: 965 X4 Phenom
PSU: Corsair 750 ATX
MBU: MSI 790FX GD70
GPU: Radeon 4890
HD: 500 GB Samsung Spinpoint f3
Memory: 4GB (2x2) G.Skill Ripjaws 1600
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

have Microsoft security essentials, Safebot Search and Destroy and Malwarebites Anti Spyware as recommended by these forums
m
l
February 26, 2010 1:29:46 AM

crashed when trying Open Suse linux out as well so i'm definitely giving up for the night. Looking forward to advice as i'm inexperienced when it comes to all of this.

Thanks
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2010 4:43:45 AM

The fact that it has now happened multiple times and on different OS's means that it it certainly a hardware problem. It is turning off completely so my first guess is the PSU, then mobo, then RAM, then CPU. It's easier to test if you have other people with computers nearby and you can usually get a PSU to test with (easiest part)

My dad's running his 965 on a 500-watt antec. He'll probably need a new one when he upgrades anything (esp. graphics) again though.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2010 4:44:30 AM

I would guess that it is about an 80% probability that the power supply is faulty. One of the problems with building your own computer is the fact that you do not have spares to try if you get any problems, you should factor this in when you calculate the cost of building your own.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2010 4:55:54 AM

I'm missing what you mean by that statement. If you were to just go and buy a standard HP computer you'd still just have the one computer and no spares...

And once you've been upgrading long enough you start to have excess stuff and therefore spares anyway.
m
l
February 26, 2010 8:06:33 PM

Unfortunately i dont have any spare power supplys to test with. Also looks like the culprit might of been a power surge/voltage-energy spike in which my surge protector apparently didn't work? If it was indeed a power surge, would it still be the PSU as the only thing to be damaged?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2010 8:09:52 PM

Probably. I mean if it still turns on and works some then yeah, since the rest of the hardware seems to be functional. But you won't know for sure until you put a different power supply in it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2010 8:23:46 PM

Good luck with that.
m
l
February 26, 2010 8:34:53 PM

I never said that they would merely that I think they should. Anyhow, I am going to attempt the "Paperclip Test" on my PSU to make sure it is the problem, although im fairly sure it is.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2010 12:00:15 AM

If you had bought the computer ready made, then if you have any problems with it, you can return the computer under warranty in the first year, however if you build your own then you are on your own if it doesn’t work, especially if you have bought the parts from different suppliers. If a computer is going to go wrong it probably will go wrong in the first year.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2010 5:36:57 AM

You're wrong.

Sure if it happens to go wrong in the first year, then they will make it right. Even a single day past that, and you have to buy an entire new computer practically.

On my laptop it only had a year warranty. The hard drive had a click of death. I then checked with hitachi, the drive makers. They've got a 3 year warranty. Great, I said, this'll go awesomely. I put in the serial number, "not valid for nothin, this was sold OEM, go to them". I literally have to contact support to even find out how long my warranty was. It ended like in september of last year, and this happened like a month~ish ago. So I had to buy a new one. I'm glad it wasn't anything else, cause the only thing I can do with it is just a hard drive and RAM. (without it being crazy or possibly better off getting a new one)

Not only that, but they could easily use subpar parts or worse, proprietary parts. And if you upgrade the subpar ones, you void the warranty. If something goes wrong with proprietary ones after the year, then you're kinda screwed because you then have to buy a specialty part from somewhere for likely 2-3 times the money you would otherwise spend on something like that.

The main things that will indeed die quickly is hard drives if there is something wrong with it. I had one die within the 30 days and just sent it to newegg. Past DoA stuff, PSU's are probably next but they could easily last a year and then die if it's the standard horrible ones in prebuilts. That doesn't mean that hard drives absolutely will die within their warranty as my laptop one made it a bit past that.

So you can get better parts, and usually each of the individual parts have a much longer warranty than the entire pre-built. He could probably RMA that PSU, for instance; it's just better to go ahead and diagnose it and make sure that's what the problem is before making them do that.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2010 6:43:27 AM

I didn’t say that it wasn’t better to build your own computer, as pre built computers a built down to a price so as to maximize profits for the manufacturer, where as if you build your own then you can specify the best components and maybe save some money as well, the draw back is that if you have problems then you are on your own and if you have no spares it can be expensive to sort out any problems. Most early life failures do occur in the first year.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2010 7:43:46 AM

At this point I have so many spares I can (and will be) building entire computers out of them. (oh, and have in the past and I gave that one away)

Most people have friends and most people have computers too, so even if I didn't have a spare I'd make 'em let me bring my non-working comp over and do tests. (I did help them pick the parts/build after all)

I'm skeptical about just how much your assertion about the first year applies but I suppose YMMV for everyone. I personally like the insane 3-5 year warranties on each part instead of 1 for the whole thing though. Probably because I think the majority of the stuff I've had die is well after 1 year.

And I'm sure you know how bad tech support can be for those of us who actually know what we're doing. IMHO I think I'm better off being on my own to sort out my computer problems; on the rareish occasion something does go wrong most of my downtime is from RMA's and things like the mail rather than time spent figuring it out. Especially because I bet you have to wait for that stuff with prebuilts.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2010 11:20:27 PM

Pre built computers can be a real pain to fix, I have one sitting on my repair bench at the moment, it’s an old Packard Bell with a faulty power supply with non standard voltages on the 20 pin power connector. If I were to put in a standard power supply then I would have to change the motherboard and reload the operating system which would cost more than the computer was worth, I dread to think how much it would cost to get a replacement power supply from Packard Bell (now HP) even if I could get one, also the time and shipping costs, which would also make the repair uneconomical. Instead I will have to figure out the voltages etc on the 20 pin connector and will have to modify a standard power supply to fit.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 28, 2010 4:39:26 AM

That sounds like it's gonna cost whoever you're doing that for quite a bit.
m
l
February 28, 2010 3:46:18 PM

Tested the power supply doing the Corsair recommended paper clip test. The power supply acted just like it did when attempting to run the rest of the computer: it worked for a minute at most before crashing.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
a b ) Power supply
February 28, 2010 11:16:16 PM

Well you have found the problem, a faulty power supply. Time to get a new one.
m
l
March 7, 2010 11:39:33 PM

Best answer selected by pumakrieg.
m
l
!