Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclockable socket 775 motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
October 11, 2010 6:33:15 PM

I'm going to build a new AMD system and would like to rebuild my existing system and donate it to my local senior center. I currently have a 2.5 year old Dell Inspiron 530 system with a Q6600 GO CPU and a Foxconn G33M MB (Dell version). I would like to rebuild this using the Q6600 GO CPU and a new motherboard with overclocking capabilities (the Foxconn has zero OCing options - thanks Dell!). New to OCing but I understand the Q6600 GO is a good CPU for OCing.

I would reuse the memory (Corsair 2x1GB DDR2 800 CL4), the WD 320GB 7200 RPM Sata HDD, the TSST Sata DVD/CD-RW, the PSU (430W), the Radeon HD 2400 Pro video card and the case. I would upgrade from Windows XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7 HP 64-bit and add a XIGMATEK HDT-SD964 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler.

Looking for recommendations/feedback on the following MB. Reliability, ease of OCing, BIOS options, etc.
  • Gigabyte G41M-ES2L Motherboard

• ASUS P5G41-M LE/CSM Motherboard

• MSI G41TM-E43 Motherboard

• ASUS P5G41C-M Motherboard

• Gigabyte GA-G41M-COMBO Intel G41 Motherboard

• The last two are combo boards supporting both DDR2 and DDR3. Prices are between $60 and $70.

TIA for any information
    a c 235 V Motherboard
    a c 78 à CPUs
    October 11, 2010 11:26:16 PM

1) Very kind of you to donate your old system to the Senior Center. With that said, why do you want to overclock the system for the Senior Center? Why not just wipe it clean and call it a day? I have no issues with you wanting to overclock but don't see the reason for it.

2) If you do want to overclock, I would go with the ASUS P5G41C-M since it gives you DDR3 support at the same cost of a standard DDR2. All four boards will overclock the same but I would maybe give the slight edge to ASUS (IMO).
    m
    l
    October 12, 2010 12:11:42 AM

tecmo34 said:
    1) Very kind of you to donate your old system to the Senior Center. With that said, why do you want to overclock the system for the Senior Center? Why not just wipe it clean and call it a day? I have no issues with you wanting to overclock but don't see the reason for it.

Thanks for the reply. Good question. Normally, you would be correct, I would just wipe it clean, install the Dell OEM Windows XP and walk away from it. I have been wanting to experiment with OCing for a while now and this seemed like a good opportunity to do it, just to get the experience of the sequence of steps necessary to accomplish a stable OC. I wouldn't go for anything extreme, say 3.2 GHz from the Q6600's stock 2.4GHz. Not trying to sound too altruistic here but for a couple of hundred $ I would get a good test platform, valuable experience, and a larger write-off after donating the entire box to the SC. ;) 
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a c 235 V Motherboard
    a c 78 à CPUs
    October 12, 2010 12:21:18 AM

Good point... Get the noob overclocking out of the way on an old system before you risk it on your newer high $ system.
    m
    l
    October 12, 2010 1:03:36 AM

My thoughts exactly! I would like to add another candidate to the mix. It's a few bucks more but has a newer North (G43) and South (ICH10) bridge and an onboard IEEE1394a header which the other boards don't. The old Dell has a front panel IEEE1394a port. Not a major deal. I have never used an Intel board.
  • Intel LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    m
    l

Best solution

a c 235 V Motherboard
    a c 78 à CPUs
    October 12, 2010 1:09:41 AM

It is an option but Intel boards aren't known for being the best overclockers. I would stick with the ASUS board for your overclocking experience. :) 
    October 17, 2010 12:07:43 AM

Best answer selected by highcountryrider.
    m
    l
    !