Sign in with
Your question

Intel mobo Vs AMD for over clocking

Last response: in Overclocking
December 12, 2012 6:07:54 AM

I noticed in general that mobos for intel cpus have more phases than AMD does. For example an Intel P8Z77-V PRO at 12+4 compared to the Amd M5A99FX PRO R2 which is only at 6+2. Even the Crosshair V Formula-Z is only at 8+2. So my question is, am I just comparing apples to oranges here? In that AMD can provide the same outcome with less phases do to other factors that I don't know about? Or, is this Apples to Apples in that Intel having more phases than Amd does actually equate to more headroom for healthier and higher OC's?

a b K Overclocking
December 12, 2012 10:26:27 PM

Honestly, you are comparing apples to oranges. I've heard of absolutely awesome overclocks on both "platforms" if you will. Each board is different so don't think numbers are the world. Either way, both platforms with the right hardware can overclock very well.

Honestly, I just go with what fits me. That's why last year I got my 2600k. It was the "fastest" in my range and completely does the job for me even today. The hardware behind the processor means a lot as well so I didn't buy the cheapest board on the block. Turns out it's great for overclocking these chips. :) 
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2012 2:26:08 PM

motherboard makes no difference until you go beyond 4.5ghz for both platforms
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2012 2:27:18 PM

and performance is what matters. not clock speed