Seeking more advice on Trouble Shooting

iankorean

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
First my components:
AMD Athlon II x4 620 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W (Necessary BIOS is 1.00G)
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO ATX AM3, DDR3, PCIex16, 140W CPU Support (BIOS Version 1.01G)
RaidMax RX-530SS 530W
Power Switch and Case Speaker are connected to mobo

I am breadboarding this setup and I'm just trying to get my mobo to beep at me (cause I don't have any memory (or other components) installed.

Things I have tried:
"New build won't boot" checklist by shortstuff_mt (awesome, very thorough, and greatly appreciated)

PSU has been checked with power meter and both 24pin Main and 4pin ATX12V are sending the required juice.

BIOS does not need to be updated cause mobo has a newer version than the required version for CPU.

CPU has been check and rechecked (no bent pins, heatsink is installed correctly, CPU drops in smoothly into CPU Socket and the triangles are at the same corner. :p

All connections are sound, checked and rechecked, snug as a bug in a rug.

Exact steps and what happens:

1. Everything is plugged in the proper spots
2. Surge Protector shows the outlet is ground and getting power
3. Plug in PSU to surge protector
4. Turn on PSU (at this point LED on mobo lights up)
5. Push power botton on the case (at this point PSU Fan and LED start as well as the CPU Fan)
6. Nothing Else (no beeps from computer case speaker)

My goal is to get a beep from not having my memory installed or my graphics card (no on board graphics)

This is the second time this has happened to me (I assumed my last mobo was the problem so I RMA'd and got a replacement)
Now I am having the same problem with the new mobo.

Could it be that my CPU is the problem? :cry:

iankorean

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
ok, can you tell me how I can check to see if my "PSU can support the load"? These are numbers on the side of the PSU.

AC Input: 110V/230 Vac ~ 10-6A 47-63Hz
DC Output: +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5Vsb
Max Output Current: 28A 34A 20A 17A 0. 8A 2.5A
Max Combined Power: 514W 16W
Total Power: 530W

iankorean

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Update: I did a service request to AMD and they are having me RMA the CPU. I told them everything that I have tried and I guess that was good enough for them because they ok'd the service request. I'm guessing they will check it out and if it is the CPU send me a new one. I will update as I hear back from AMD.