OCZ Fatality PSU How good is it?

CrustyComputer

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I have a intel Q9400 OC @ 3.4ghz system with a 9800GTX I recently purchased another 9800GTX to SLI and needed a new PSU. My pops for my BDay got me a new PSU but didnt really ask me what he should get he got this from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

Is it enough and will it be stable I did notice they have a 3 year direct replacement warranty on it so I am guessing its a decent PSU but I see everyone suggesting corsair and seasonic. Is OCZ crap or is it good.

Thanks in Advance...

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
It's not that OCZ are 'crap' or they make bad PSUs, since compared to others I'm sure they are very good. The reason people recommend Corsair, Seasonic etc. is that they have a reputation for consistently producing good PSUs. OCZ haven't got this reputation but it doesn't mean they don't make good PSUs just that they aren't known for doing it consistently.

I would definitely use it especially if it had been bought for me! You should have enough amps along the +12V rails for your setup but it will be near the limit so just keep an eye on things. Good luck!

logan the huge

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
The 550w Fatal1ty only has 37.5A(450w) on the 12v rail and given how mediocre the platform it's built on is, I really wouldn't try to push it right to the limit like that. If you still want to use it try undervolting your CPU and stay away from power abusing programs like Furmark.

CrustyComputer

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Well I have it all hooked up and it seems fine I found somewhere that the GTX only uses a peak amount of about 150 watts in singly mode and in SLI it will only be around 125 watt per card at the most atleast that was my thinking. I think my pops got a good deal on it like $30 good deal brand new and all so for $30 my options out there are limited. I am only 15 so not like I have tons of disposable income to throw around just getting that second GTX took me a year so all I need to know is it gonna be stable or is it gonna explode on me or something.

Do you have any proof like a wbsite or a reveiw that says its a mediocre because all the reviews I could find for it looked pretty good. I think you should back your answer with some hard evidence of being mediocre or failing because that is my only main concern will it fail and take out components with it? :sweat:

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
you should be fine just NO OVERCLOCKING if you are still worryed get a better one, you can tell you dad its one of the best birthday presents you have had but my pc wont run it and tell him you worry, he might agree you and say its better to be safe than sorry.