Memtest - Which module is defective?

thegimp

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I have a 2x2GB kit from Corsair. These are my test results.

1. Run only one stick at a time: they will both pass Memtest (13 hr tests) with no errors.
2. Run both sticks, single channel: average error rate of 2 per pass.
3. Run both sticks, dual channel: average error rate of 26 per pass.
4. Same as 3, but transposed the two sticks in the DIMM slots.

Errors in all tests (except 1.) happen during test #7 with err-bit 0x00004000.

In 2. the memory addresses for the errors are above the 2GB mark (around 2070 MB).
In 3. and 4. the memory addresses for the errors are between 40 MB and 100 MB.

With this information is it possible to determine which module contains the defect?

Oh What Fun!

My first reaction is it is NOT the RAM, instead it is a [strike]incomputable[/strike] incompatible DIMM controller with your MOBO.

Please post both your MOBO Model and exact part-number and/or link to your RAM. It's more than likely NOT going to be listed on either the MOBO Certified list and/or Corsair's Tested list. Otherwise, you my have a BIOS issue {update required and/or setting}. You can R/O setting if you used Load Default / Load Optimized.

thegimp

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Hmm, I suspected there might be an issue with the memory controller or something but didn't know how to determine this.

RAM: Corsair XMS2 2x2GB PC2-6400 5-5-5-18
Model: TWIN2X4096-6400C5

Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum (AMD 790FX), latest BIOS applied
CPU: AMD X2 7750 (Kuma)

I always run with optimized defaults, I don't overclock. The memory setting is on Auto/SPD.

^ Yeah, that 'can' - in this case 'did' do it. Didn't occur to me you had an AMD MOBO with nVidia; though stated. Normally it will work either way. Ganged is for Dual Channel and Memory Controller work together. - I'll keep this in mind!

Glad you got it to work!