hockey1212

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
This system is a dell factory computer 2 years old. intel core2 duo cpu E6550 @2.33 ghz, 2 gigs ram windows xp. When i run multiple programs at once im hearing alot of noise from tower like a churning noise. Cpu is around 80 percent or more when this happens. I get computer locking up and sometimes need to reboot. I have no external fans or cooling. I installed cpuid and the cpuvcore is around 1.15 v to 1.30 v. Any ideas what the issue is..will more memory help?? windows xp is the OS.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
sounds like something is accessing the hard drive and eating cpu cycles. I would run a chkdsk on the drive and also, check task manager and sort by cpu usage to see if the culprit shows there ( seeing as it is utilizing cpu to 80%) this si typical of spyware/malware. do what i said above and get back to us. next step would be to run spybot search and destroy and superantispyware with malwarebytes which are all free on filehippo let us know how you make out

Edit: another thing to do would be to go and download memtest 86+ and burn to a cd then boot to it. that will test your ram for problems. Does anythign show in event viewer?

Sounds to me like throttling too could be overheating and once it throttles down a task that would normally only eat up 10% of the CPU will eat up 80% of the CPU download HWMonitior and see what your CPU temps are when this is happening anything over 70c will start to cause issues and depending on what the motherboard is set at to throttle down could cause that. Sounds to me also that sound you are hearing is a dieing fan could be clogged with dust and if you have pets hair will clog up a fan and heatsink to the point of total failure in its cooling ability clean out your case and see what happens. CPU heatsinks can be has as cheap as $10 if you need one to replace the stock one.