confused about memory types

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b } Memory
November 27, 2004 10:37:54 PM

Hi folks

I've bought myself a Fuji Finepix s7000 and need to buy myself some memory.
The camera accepts XD memory and also microdrives. Now I assume that if it
accepts microdrives then it will accept compact flash memory - Is this the
case??

So, if the camera accepts both XD and compact flash, which should I buy??
From a quick look over at Amazon, I can get 512MB of XD for £54, whilst
512MB of compact flash is £38.
If I'm buying on price then compact flash is the way to go obviously, but
does XD give me anything better that compact flash??

TIA

More about : confused memory types

Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 27, 2004 10:54:43 PM

"HappyLad" <happylad@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi folks
>
> I've bought myself a Fuji Finepix s7000 and need to buy myself some
> memory.
> The camera accepts XD memory and also microdrives. Now I assume that if it
> accepts microdrives then it will accept compact flash memory - Is this the
> case??

Yes it is - I have a couple of el-cheapo Sandisk CF cards I use in my s7000
and they work fine.

> So, if the camera accepts both XD and compact flash, which should I buy??
> From a quick look over at Amazon, I can get 512MB of XD for £54, whilst
> 512MB of compact flash is £38.
> If I'm buying on price then compact flash is the way to go obviously, but
> does XD give me anything better that compact flash??
>
> TIA

The XD cards are faster at reading than the CF cards, but writing
performance seems in practice to be similar - maybe slightly better on a CF
card - have a look on - http://www.s5000.net/forums/ in particular
http://www.s5000.net/forums/yaBB/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?b...;action=display;num=1098110545
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 27, 2004 11:20:25 PM

HappyLad escribio:

> I've bought myself a Fuji Finepix s7000 and need to buy myself some memory.
> The camera accepts XD memory and also microdrives. Now I assume that if it
> accepts microdrives then it will accept compact flash memory - Is this the
> case??
>
> So, if the camera accepts both XD and compact flash, which should I buy??
> From a quick look over at Amazon, I can get 512MB of XD for £54, whilst
> 512MB of compact flash is £38.
> If I'm buying on price then compact flash is the way to go obviously, but
> does XD give me anything better that compact flash??

Buy CFs; most pro's use CompactFlash. And now they are cheap! :D

--
chidalgo
a b } Memory

"Harvey" <harvey@not.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "HappyLad" <happylad@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I've bought myself a Fuji Finepix s7000 and need to buy myself some
>> memory.
>> The camera accepts XD memory and also microdrives. Now I assume that if
>> it accepts microdrives then it will accept compact flash memory - Is this
>> the case??
>

> Yes it is - I have a couple of el-cheapo Sandisk CF cards I use in my
> s7000 and they work fine.
>
>> So, if the camera accepts both XD and compact flash, which should I buy??
>> From a quick look over at Amazon, I can get 512MB of XD for £54, whilst
>> 512MB of compact flash is £38.
>> If I'm buying on price then compact flash is the way to go obviously, but
>> does XD give me anything better that compact flash??
>>
>> TIA
>
> The XD cards are faster at reading than the CF cards, but writing
> performance seems in practice to be similar - maybe slightly better on a
> CF card - have a look on - http://www.s5000.net/forums/ in particular
> http://www.s5000.net/forums/yaBB/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?b...;action=display;num=1098110545

Thanks for the link to the forum Harvey, lots of info on there! From what
I've read it seems that XD is the safest buy. To be honest, an extra £16 for
1/2 a Gig isn't a big worry so I think I'll go down the XD route.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 28, 2004 1:33:49 AM

"HappyLad" <happylad@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi folks
>
> I've bought myself a Fuji Finepix s7000 and need to buy myself some
> memory.
> The camera accepts XD memory and also microdrives. Now I assume that if it
> accepts microdrives then it will accept compact flash memory - Is this the
> case??

Si.

> So, if the camera accepts both XD and compact flash, which should I buy??
> From a quick look over at Amazon, I can get 512MB of XD for £54, whilst
> 512MB of compact flash is £38.
> If I'm buying on price then compact flash is the way to go obviously, but
> does XD give me anything better that compact flash??

Hold you horses! Shopping around, you should be able to find Pro CF cards
(40x or faster) for £50 to £60ish. They read/write faster, are compatible
with more pro cameras (so if you step up to, say, a Canon DSLR, your cards
won't have to go on eBay) and less prone to "down the back of the sofa"
syndrome. Forgive my cynicism, but CF is a standard adopted by several big
manufacturers in their top end cameras- xD is championed by two
manufacturers whose top end products still use CF. Who knows when Fuji or
Olympus will drop xD?

no, and yes...."
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 28, 2004 3:08:45 AM

HappyLad wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I've bought myself a Fuji Finepix s7000 and need to buy myself some memory.
> The camera accepts XD memory and also microdrives. Now I assume that if it
> accepts microdrives then it will accept compact flash memory - Is this the
> case??
>
> So, if the camera accepts both XD and compact flash, which should I buy??
> From a quick look over at Amazon, I can get 512MB of XD for £54, whilst
> 512MB of compact flash is £38.
> If I'm buying on price then compact flash is the way to go obviously, but
> does XD give me anything better that compact flash??
>
> TIA

Even Sony, who started all this proprietary memory card foolishness (no
flames please)
is using CF cards on their top of the line SLRs. Will wonders never cease?
I'd stick with CF cards. They are cheaper, higher capacity, more readily
available, etc. AFAIK the only virtue(?) of the xD is its small size.
That has merit for tiny sub-compacts but for a camera the size of the
S7000, that is hardly a virtue.
One man's opinion.....Bob Williams
!