Odd post problem ASROCK P55 Pro

ebaca

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Ok, this is wierd. I built a new system about 6 months ago. I used an ASROCK P55 with an i5-750 installed. All has been running great! It is blazing fast and takes anything I throw at it. About a month ago I started to get a recurring problem. I am not sure if it started a month ago or earlier because, I am lazy and keep my box running 24/7 most of the time. Now when I shut it down and try to cold boot most of the time the power and fans come on and the CDROM fire up but the board will not post. I even check the led on the motherboard called Dr. Debug and no codes show. It's almost as if the motherboard is not on. The drive access light stays solid.

Now basically if I turn it off or unplug the power and wait a minute or two it fires up just fine. When it fires up, I get no errors and the machine runs like a dream as always. It is as stable as a rock when it is running. This is getting frustrating and happens almost every time. I have updated the firmware and no luck. I also unplugged my SSD and still no luck. I am afraid it is a problem that is starting and will get worse as time passes.

Any ideas on what it may be? Below is my build:

ASROCK P55 PRO
i5-750 Processor
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W PSU
SAPPHIRE 100258-1GHDMI Radeon HD 4850 1GB
Corsair P128 128GB SSD
Logitech G510 Gaming keyboard
Razer Naga Mouse
Microsoft Windows 7 64bit

ebaca

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Unplugging it doesn't work all the time. I was thinking it could be the power supply. I live in a place with frequent power outages and the electricity is not very regulated. I have it connected to a surge suppressor but was thinking that maybe it has been damaged over time with power outages and surges when the electricity comes back on. I am getting an APC to help solve the electricity problem.

I may be grasping at straws though. I may try replacing the PSU and see if that helps.

Any other ideas welcomed!

ebaca

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Ok, now I have been playing around with shutting down my computer and cold booting. Now every time from a cold boot the motherboard won't post, but if I turn it off using the button on the case and wait like 10 seconds then power up it works fine. Hmmm...

ebaca

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I think I'm going to get a new PSU anyways. I am looking in to switching to a modular one. I have a quick question. I am not an expert in builds. will a 600 watt supply work ok with my build? I have a 700 watt right now. I may add a second video card and run crossfire.