Need advice and knowledge on 1k system

FearlessH

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hey guys I could really use some help with my new rig that I am going to build.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: It will probably be between 1 and 6 weeks from now.

BUDGET RANGE: Roughly $1000 USD, but I live in New Zealand (My budget is $1500 NZD).

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, school work/projects, watching movies, surfing the internet and hopefully T.V.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: No OS or monitor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: computerstore.co.nz, urcomputer.co.nz, pcpacific.net, playtech.co.nz. Mainly any New Zealand site as I do not want to import.

OVERCLOCKING: I doubt that I will be overclocking SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not now - maybe if I upgrade graphics card.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: So far I have got:
Case - Will this have enough room for my graphics card (HD 5850)
Optical drive
Processor
Graphics card - Is this the same as a sapphire HD 5850
HDD - will this be big enough for my games/movies and school work
MoBo - not 100% sure if this will work with everything
R.A.M. - is this very effective?

So can you guys please check to see if this is all compatible and what PSU will I need? This one?
Thanks guys!
-KM

A quick note: Crossfire refers to adding a second GPU and using the two as one. Your board (which is a good one) will only allow you to use one GPU.

HDD: Try to find a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB. It's faster, quieter and cooler than anything WD makes right now. If you can't find it, the Seagate 7200.12 500 GB is very similar.

PSU: Only problem with that unit is that it's probably not a good quality one. Stick to the major brands (Corsair, Antec Earthwatts or TruePower, SeaSonic, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling or OCZ). OCZ is the lowest quality of the group, so you'd need to get the 600W version.

Case: I'm not a fan of RAIDMAX cases. They always seem very low quality to me. See if you can find an Antec 300 Illusion. If not, the Coolermaster Elite or 690 are also very good.

RAM: That's some slow RAM. Try to find some 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7 (timings 7-7-7-7-x) sticks.