Sign in with
Your question

Fan Loudness?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 12, 2012 9:05:57 PM

I'm looking at a new video card and I'm trying to figure out what to expect from the fan that's on it.

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-FX775...

Looking around I've found that it's somewhere between 35-45dbA but the only descriptors I can find associated with that are things like "bubbling brook" and "living room" which aren't really helping me.

Currently I have a gt430 card that has been running loud, though I have no idea how loud it is now or even normally as a comparison.

Could anyone help me figure out what kind of sound I should expect out of the new card?

More about : fan loudness

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 12, 2012 11:15:21 PM

Well, most GPU cooling fans can get annoyingly loud at full RPM. But for the most part on automatic settings most of them don't go over 50% under normal use. However; it could be loud. I know what you're saying though; I hate that a lot of video cards and their manufacturers don't have dBa ratings on their gear. I think it'd be between those rates at decent temperatures like 50C.
m
l
December 12, 2012 11:53:28 PM

The card I'm using at the moment is quite crappy and lacks speed control so I'm fairly sure it's stuck at least at 65% all the time even when i'm just browsing and the card is around 30C.

It never bothered me before but after dealing with a separate fan issue it's all i can hear now in the background whatever I'm doing and its starting to drive me nuts.

I'm just afraid if it's all in my head and this is normal volume and after buying a new card I end up with something exactly the same or god forbid worse.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 1:58:01 AM

I wouldn't let it bother you too much. For the most part, newer cards are usually pretty good until they hit max RPM :) 
m
l
December 13, 2012 2:36:41 AM

I'm not sure if I want to go full in and pay the extra for the passive system yet.

As I mentioned the card I have now has a set speed of what I would imagine is 65% power. For cards that have variable speed control what % do they tend to idle at? If for the sake of argument I imagine that the new and current cards have comparable fans that could give me an idea.

I shouldn't have the card going anywhere near full rpm as most of my time is spent browsing or watching video with sparse gaming so I'd imagine most of the time it should be running at a lower speed?
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 4:18:20 AM

Farscape1_14 said:
I'm looking at a new video card and I'm trying to figure out what to expect from the fan that's on it.

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-FX775...

Looking around I've found that it's somewhere between 35-45dbA but the only descriptors I can find associated with that are things like "bubbling brook" and "living room" which aren't really helping me.

Currently I have a gt430 card that has been running loud, though I have no idea how loud it is now or even normally as a comparison.

Could anyone help me figure out what kind of sound I should expect out of the new card?
I tell you what i can do. I will make it easy for you.The fact that you are even asking about it tells me your concerned.Do yourself a favor invest $20 more in something you will be happy with and enjoy for years to come ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 4:22:45 AM

MY GTX550Ti's when they are at low usage and cooler temps 30-40C; they run at 10%. I have a custom profile that ramps the fans up the hotter the GPU gets. Once they hit 63C they hit 80%. Only game to ever get them to that has been Metro2033. When they are at 10%; they are completely silent. Just some food for thought here, but after reading what you said; you'll probably never hear the fan on it during browsing, videos, and low end gaming.
m
l
December 13, 2012 8:15:31 AM

If they should be near silent during browsing and videos then that should be great. The most intensive game I play really has been Skyrim for now and my current card barely hits 50C while I'm playing.

The card I'm asking should have fan control though right?

I'm pretty sure it's just a 3 pin fan and I've had some people tell me it would be controllable through software and others saying there's no control at all.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 7:58:24 PM

Pretty much all of the "non" entry level cards have fan speed. The card you chose; is pretty much a guaranteedto have that automatic fan control. The GT430 should have a controllable fan; but it is pretty low on the line of GPU's; so it may not.
m
l
December 13, 2012 8:03:37 PM

I really don't know what is up with my gt430, I'm thinking if its sudden loudness isn't all in my head it may have had control at some point and for some reason it doesn't work any more.

It's only a two pin fan but I've tried every speed control program and bios flashing technique to slow it down I could find with no such luck.
m
l
December 13, 2012 8:45:35 PM

When ordering a card how wary should I be of "open box" offers?

Someone had mentioned the passive sapphire model and I'm just noticing newegg has one for 25% off as an open box offer. They claim the items are tested to work but may have accessories missing, but being open I would assume they were returned for some reason and there's a risk right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 8:47:37 PM

It may be in your head, it may be a bearing going out in it. Either way if it's an issue; I'd be in the same seat as you. I wouldn't recommend a passive cooler honestly. As if you have inadequate airflow in the case; the entire system is going to run hotter after a bit of gaming and those big passive coolers don't cool down very fast not having a fan.

I would check that fan just in the case it may be blown out. I've had one run like that for a while and then just pop off of the housing into my case randomly one day. Thank god it was a front fan LOL
m
l
December 13, 2012 10:43:16 PM

I was considering the passive cooling now but I hadn't thought about how it would effect everything else. I don't have any special cooling or anything in my case, just two stock fans really that I can't even hear over the card's fan except when I boot up.

Is it enough to worry about to avoid the passive cooling and hope on the fan being quiet enough?
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 10:53:21 PM

Why not just get a dual fan design ? You should be o.k. with that card though i cannot promise anything.
m
l
December 13, 2012 11:14:10 PM

I assume with two fans they're running at a lower power and would give off less noise then? I'd only noticed single fan models until now so I hadn't thought about that.

In that case something like this MSI model would work out then right? The big difference I see aside from the secondary fan is that it seems to come pre overclocked if thats what the OC stands for?

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-OC-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-R7...
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 11:15:57 PM

Correct.Yes to both questions.
m
l
December 13, 2012 11:24:59 PM

That's great then, one more question should finish this off hopefully...

Prior to being told about the 7750 I was looking at the MSI 6670 which also has dual fans and a case covering up the board. Since I was curious about the fan speed I went to their tech support and sent a message asking about the fan's speed control.

I just now got a response and they say there is no control of the fan because it only has a 3 pin connection. Would this be a miscommunication or something? Everything I've gathered so far has been telling me that these cards do have some sort of speed control even without the fourth pin.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2012 11:35:19 PM

If that is what you were told.I believe it.Usually there is software that they bundle with the cards that offers some form of fan control and monitoring
m
l
December 14, 2012 12:12:42 AM

I don't know how long it will take to get their tech support to confirm on the different model but I did realize I could check out MSI's site directly and according to it at least the fan can be controlled through afterburner.

Guess I finally decided on a model so thank you again to everyone for your assistance.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2012 12:16:50 AM

Your welcome!
m
l
!