Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Computer
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
May 3, 2010 1:30:11 PM

I want start of by saying i am a moderate skilled computer "engineer" so i may not understand certain terms that experts know :sweat: 

Now,as it says on the title of the thread, i am currently wanting to upgrade my skinny slimline case to a much bigger gaming case (i have been looking at this case for a while: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )

What i want to know is if this is possible?

More about : upgrading slimline medium sized tower

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 3, 2010 1:37:36 PM

I can't see there being any problems at first glance. It's usually more straightforward moving to a bigger case than it is trying to move to a smaller case. As long as your PSU is of the ATX form factor and your motherboard is either ATX or mATX I can't see there being a problem - as I said it's usually simpler moving to a bigger case and will probably make your life a lot easier in the process.

I'm assuming from the size of your current case that you don't have one of the newer, longer graphics cards? This is something worth considering as obviously they are too long to fit inside certain cases and you will have to check the dimensions of your chosen case to ensure they will fit. But if you're sticking with your current card etc. then its nothing to worry about...just something to be aware of for the future.
a b ) Power supply
May 3, 2010 1:42:43 PM

Most of your components should fit just fine. I say most because usually its the power supply that has issues. When going from a small case to a larger one, especially one that has a bottom mounted PSU, it's the cables that end up too short. I did something like this a couple years back and had to get a 24-pin and 4-pin ATX extension.
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2010 1:49:42 PM

So basically if i am going to make the jump from slim to medium sized i need to buy a brand new power supply?
and if so what PSU would any one recommend?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 3, 2010 2:03:48 PM

You won't necessarily have to buy a new power supply. It depends on the form factor of your current PSU and also as obsolete99 pointed out, the length of your cables coming from your PSU. Chances are if you have an ATX form factor PSU you should be ok with the length of your cables. Although even if you don't you do have the option of using extension cables. Hope this clarifies a bit.
m
l
May 3, 2010 2:13:49 PM

moody89 said:
You won't necessarily have to buy a new power supply. It depends on the form factor of your current PSU and also as obsolete99 pointed out, the length of your cables coming from your PSU. Chances are if you have an ATX form factor PSU you should be ok with the length of your cables. Although even if you don't you do have the option of using extension cables. Hope this clarifies a bit.

Hmm... I'm going to have to look inside my PC later today. Also i forgot to mention the computer it self is pre-built by dell.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 3, 2010 2:14:56 PM

It should still remain a fairly straight-forward process :)  Have a look and see how things go but I would imagine you will be fine. Good luck!
m
l
May 13, 2010 11:19:20 PM

Best answer selected by raymundo9911.
m
l
!