Why am I not getting the performance I want?

TestOne

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Okay, so..
I have a GTX 560 and I was getting 20FPS in NFS Most Wanted.
My friend had the exact same card (from evga) and he was getting a stable 30-50. (at max settings, while I got 20-30FPS on medium)

So, I assumed it was my crappy mobo/ram, and pretty sure the CPU was a huge bottleneck.

So I bought a new case, put in 4 fans, bought a new motherboard, got a FX 6100
(the one he was using. He gave it to me because he upgrades to the 8350)
and I even bought a GTX 660.

So my new specs are:
ASRock 970 EXTREME 3
FX-6100 @STOCK, turbo @ 4GHZ
8GB DDR3 @1600MHZ
GTX 660 Galaxy
128GB SSD
600GB HDD.
520W Seasonic modular supply.
(The 660 uses less energy than the 560, so I assumed it may have been my PSU holding me back, apparently not.)

However.. my performance is still not that MIND BLOWING as I thought it would.
So I assumed I bought a crappy video card, HOWEVER...

Another friend recommended that I get this card, and he has a FX 4100!!-- AND He gets more FPS than I do.

I'm assuming it's my Hard Disk. I never wiped it when switching computers..

I bought an external 2TB hard drive to back up my data, format both drives, and then install windows on my SSD.

What I don't know, if is this is going to fix the FPS issue?
Can someone help me reach a logical explanation as to why I can't DECIMATE games like the rest of my friends?
This is really frustrating, I'm putting my money into this and I feel like it was all for nothing.

TestOne

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I uninstalled each drive and restarted after each uninstallation.

I installed the latest recommended drivers, and then the beta drivers.
Didn't really help much.

In my post, I mention that my friend who has this card recommended it to me.
He gets better FPS than me, and he has an FX 4100 CPU.

I'm assuming it might be something with my HDD, because sometimes my sound starts crackling/popping and becoming very staticy and distorted.
The same issue happened on my old setup.
The only thing that I brought with me to this one was the power supply and HDD.

I don't think it's a bottleneck either, because when I benchmark my CPU/GPU usage is always under 50%.

I've even over clocked my video card to try and get better performance, which helped slightly (2-3 frames).
But even then, it seems the clocks and voltage is always jumping around on the 660.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Take those results with a grain of salt. I have played Most Wanted for a while on my PC and honestly; that game is a pile of crap. It's a poor excuse of a "game" as I can pretty much guarantee it's just a lazy-mans port of the console version. I switch my pair of GTX 550's to 700Mhz and get the same framerate as I did at 1Ghz. Also, the CPU speed on my system didn't matter much at all. I had extremely bad drops in framerate at random times and couldn't figure out why. Turns out I'm not the only one lol. Don't trust that game for much. Compare your systems on something better designed for the PC rather than that chopped up game.

us11csalyer

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
You may want to see if you're running at a resolution your monitor likes/supports.

The evga GTX 660 SC is a good card. On stock settings I can play Assassin's Creed 3 @ 1680x1050 on normal settings just fine. (Haven't messed with graphic settings). Even Planetside 2 runs great.

The one thing I'd def do is OC your 660's memory.

halfblazed

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Are you and your friends all running the same resolution monitors because that is a huge factor.

Like us11 said over clocking the memory and boost clock on the card will help. Its really easy to over-clock the 6-series cards.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I'm still sticking with checking with another benchmark. Try running Unigine heaven on the different machines with same settings. Most Wanted has been the most poor port of any game I've ever played on my PC. My brothers econobox with a GTX 460 runs the game as well as I do with ease on the same resolution. It's poorly done, which really made me sad when I look at who it came from.

TestOne

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Yeah, I feel you there.
I guess the card does pretty well on some games, but I used to get 400FPS on minecraft (lol) with my 560.
I get around 60-120 now.. odd.

And on arma 2 OA (dayZ) I lag like crap.

I fixed some of my FPS lag in NFS Most Wanted by overclocking my proccesor to 4GHz.
I'm assuming it's the 6100.. I'll probably need to get a 8350 (if it will even show a significant improvement)

I feel like there might be something with my PC making it seem, eh.

They run at 1600x1200 (4100 guy) and the other friend runs at 1920x1080 on his 560 TI.

I run my games at 1440x900.

Also, I overclocked my video card and I didn't see a huge improvement yet.
But OCing my CPU really helped, so maybe upgrading to a 8350 will do.
http://vvcap.net/db/ep-ZSPIzPsD_LgpZgmhe.htp
I usually idle at 38-36C. But I just got out of Far Cry 3.

EDIT:
I'm just going to go ahead and format both my HDD and SSD, install windows on my SSD and hopefully... this will fix some problems.

ex: Sound crackling randomly, and sometimes my frames just dropping to like 20.. I'm pretty sure it's this damn HDD.

TestOne

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I just bought an 8350 two days ago, I don't have monies but I'm hoping this gets me what I need. Besides, the 8350 (from reviews and friend's mouths) is as strong as the i5 3570.