What to put on the 80Gb Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

fumiko

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I have purchased the parts required to build the high end computer (from tecmo34 list of builds by use). I have just begun to put this all togeather.
I also purchased Windows 7 to be used as the operating system. I know this question is going to sound terribly newbish, but there is a 1Tb hard drive and a 80Gb solid state drive in the build. I am thinking that the Windows operating system goes on the 80Gb drive, but I would appreciate if someone could please advise me if that is correct. I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question.

These are the components that I am referring to in the build;
1 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full - Retail
Item #: N82E16832116717
1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136284
1 Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Retail
Item #: N82E16820167023
1 ICY DOCK MB882SP-1S-1B 2.5" to 3.5" SSD & SATA Hard Drive Converter - Black - Retail

Thank you in advance
Fumiko

Solution
Programs that you install will default to the drive windows is on , and they will use most of the space on the 80 gig drive .

You should be able to move the documents folder and all its subfolders to the larger disk drive so no data is stored on the SSD .
Programs that you install will default to the drive windows is on , and they will use most of the space on the 80 gig drive .

You should be able to move the documents folder and all its subfolders to the larger disk drive so no data is stored on the SSD .

Solution

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
your right the SSD is for the window's boot drive and maybe a couple core programs. and the HDD is for storage and running non-core programs like games and what not.
when you install programs, do a custom installation and it should let you decide where to install your programs.

fumiko

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Thank you both so much, I am trying to be as prepared before-hand as I can be, I would hate to get it all running (fingers crossed) and find out I have installed the OS on the wrong Drive.
Again
Thanks to you both :wahoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.