HELP !! about power supply

dh3

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
whether the right motherboard 4 pin connector can use a power supply with 4 pin connector?

I have a asus mainboard p5kpl-am se, about what power supply compatible with my mainboard, but with 650 watts?

because I want to buy hd 4870,

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
These are the official recommended power requirements based on your graphics card:

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

This applies to the entire system not just your graphics card.

As you can see from the above you only need a 600-650W PSU if you plan to Crossfire in the future. If not then you can comfortably use a 500-550W PSU and save yourself some cash.

By 4 pin connector I'm assuming you mean the 4-pin CPU Power connector? Most of the newer, higher end PSUs come with a 4(+4)pin CPU Power connector which provides an extra 4 pins for motherboards that have an 8-pin CPU Power connector. The reason for the extra pins is largely due to the increasing trend of multi-core CPUs and hence the increased demand in power. The CPU power connector on most PSUs give you the option of using either 4 or 8 pins. The extra 4 pins usually clip on or off depending on your motherboard. If your board has 8 pins use the full 8 pins but if not then you should be fine to just use the first 4 pins of the connector from your PSU.

Recommended brands are Corsair, Seasonic and the newer Antec models.

Hope this helps.