Computer Only Beeps When Turning On

Hello all,

I have a homebuilt computer that I identified recently has bad RAM. I removed three of my four sticks of RAM and placed them on an anti-static sheet while I tested the first stick. Everything was fine last night while I ram Memtest for 7 passes. I then turned the computer off and went to bed. This morning, I reseated the RAM tested last night in a different DIMM slot to test the DIMM slots individually before continuing to test the RAM that way I could properly identify the problem. I made a mistake, however, that I didn't identify until a few minutes later in that I forgot to turn off the power switch at the back of the computer and unplug the power cable. Yes, I can hear all you seasoned computer geeks hissing back there. When I closed up the case and turned it on, I got no display and the computer only beeps three times, one long and two short. It repeats this until I turn the computer off. After properly disconnecting the power, I tried a different RAM stick in a different DIMM slot with the same result. I decided to switch the power off and leave it that way while I enlisted some help. That's where all you lovely people come in. Did I short out my computer and, if so, how do I know to what degree I have damaged the internal components and is there a way to fix it other than replacing the components one by one? Please let me know as soon as possible so that, in the worst case, I can get started rebuilding this thing from scratch.

Thanks for the help,
sincerely,
Caboose
6 answers Last reply
More about computer beeps turning
  1. No worries, it's a simple memory frequency mismatch error. Let me know the mobo model and the memory FSB.:)
  2. It's an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo. As far as memory FSB, I'm a bit of a newbie to computer building and parts, could you translate that for me please? It's Crucial RAM if that helps. Two sticks are

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail

the other two are

Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864AA800 - Retail

I hope that's what you're looking for. I will check the forums again tonight after work and school. Thank you for the help.

-Caboose
  3. After doing some digging tonight and discovering what FSB was and digging into some online pages, I've found that it looks like my CPU doesn't have a FSB...if that's possible. My CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+. From what I'm finding (if this is correct) it uses a Hyper Transport Bus. This is clocked in at 1GHz and is also listed at 2000 MT/s. I hope that is the information you were looking for and that someone can glean how to fix my system out of this. Thanks.
  4. http://support.asus.com/faq/asus-faq.aspx?type=6&no=3C455A49-A48A-2073-B226-E991C196908A&model=M2N32-SLI%20Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us

Try Flashing the BIOS from the above link.
    I have verified the memories, they are fine, just try booting the system with single DIMM module on the first yellow slot.
  5. You can download the mobo manual from the website.
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=M2N32-SLI%20Deluxe&os=8&SLanguage=en-us

- Turn off the computer, unplug the power cord.
    - Remove the onboard battery
    - Move the jumper cap from pin 1-2(deafult) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 10 seconds and then move the cap back to pins 1-2.
    - Reinstall the battery.
    - Power on the computer
    - Press and hold the Del key and enter the BIOS in order to make the necessary changes.

JUMPER: CLRTC

Please refer to the manual for more info on page: 19 Section 2.6 Jumper.

All the best :)
  6. Any Updates :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt RAM Computer Systems