Sign in with
Your question

XFX Radeon HD 5870 1200mhz vs. 4800mhz ?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2010 2:13:45 PM

Well i was checking out the xfx 5870 on newegg and i came up with 3 results:
1) XXX version (I know this is the factory overclocked version, no confusion here)
2)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With the last 2, whats the big difference? In the specs the differences are, the second 1 being Gddr5 vs ddr5 and the "effective memory clock" being 1200mhz on the second one vs 4800mhz on the 3rd one. And another thing i noticed is that the 3rd one has a bigger fan located more in the center of the card. There are yet no reviews of the last one and the price of the both are the same.

Can I please get some clarification? Thanx :D 

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the last one states that its PCIe 2.1 whereas the second one is PCIe 2.0, bottom line, which one is better ?

P.S Thanx for quick responses everybody :D 

February 15, 2010 2:28:25 PM

the memory on that card runs at 1200 but its GDDR5, that means it runs as fast as 4800mhz DDR or something like that, im not really sure :D 

its not worth buying a factory overclocked card unless the overclocked one is only a little bit more expensive.
m
l
February 15, 2010 2:45:11 PM

It is the same speed. Just advertised that way to throw off uninformed buyers. The 1200mhz GDDR5 is quad-pumped to give you an effective 4800mhz.

Most people have good results overclocking the stock cards with just the Catalyst Control Center client. However, the actual gains in applications/games are either minimal or just not worth the extra heat/power consumption.

Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2010 2:45:50 PM

GDDR5 and DDR5 is the same thing wen it comes to video cards..
m
l
February 15, 2010 3:05:34 PM

brett1042002 said:
It is the same speed. Just advertised that way to throw off uninformed buyers. The 1200mhz GDDR5 is quad-pumped to give you an effective 4800mhz.

Most people have good results overclocking the stock cards with just the Catalyst Control Center client. However, the actual gains in applications/games are either minimal or just not worth the extra heat/power consumption.

Good luck!

Thanx, but as i said in the edit is the second one better as it is PCIe 2.1 vs 2.0 ? Which one do you think is better?
m
l
February 15, 2010 3:15:19 PM

Quote:
PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned to be fully implemented in PCI Express 3.0. But, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0.

^ From wikipedia on PCI Express 2.0/2.1. Some others may have more insight on any other differences between the two technologies.
m
l
!