XFX Radeon HD 5870 1200mhz vs. 4800mhz ?!

Well i was checking out the xfx 5870 on newegg and i came up with 3 results:
1) XXX version (I know this is the factory overclocked version, no confusion here)
2)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443&cm_re=xfx_radeon_5870-_-14-150-443-_-Product

3)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150476&cm_re=xfx_radeon_5870-_-14-150-476-_-Product

With the last 2, whats the big difference? In the specs the differences are, the second 1 being Gddr5 vs ddr5 and the "effective memory clock" being 1200mhz on the second one vs 4800mhz on the 3rd one. And another thing i noticed is that the 3rd one has a bigger fan located more in the center of the card. There are yet no reviews of the last one and the price of the both are the same.

Can I please get some clarification? Thanx :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the last one states that its PCIe 2.1 whereas the second one is PCIe 2.0, bottom line, which one is better ?

P.S Thanx for quick responses everybody :D
5 answers Last reply
More about radeon 5870 1200mhz 4800mhz
  1. the memory on that card runs at 1200 but its GDDR5, that means it runs as fast as 4800mhz DDR or something like that, im not really sure :D

its not worth buying a factory overclocked card unless the overclocked one is only a little bit more expensive.
  2. It is the same speed. Just advertised that way to throw off uninformed buyers. The 1200mhz GDDR5 is quad-pumped to give you an effective 4800mhz.

Most people have good results overclocking the stock cards with just the Catalyst Control Center client. However, the actual gains in applications/games are either minimal or just not worth the extra heat/power consumption.

Good luck!
  3. GDDR5 and DDR5 is the same thing wen it comes to video cards..
  4. brett1042002 said:
    It is the same speed. Just advertised that way to throw off uninformed buyers. The 1200mhz GDDR5 is quad-pumped to give you an effective 4800mhz.

Most people have good results overclocking the stock cards with just the Catalyst Control Center client. However, the actual gains in applications/games are either minimal or just not worth the extra heat/power consumption.

Good luck!

Thanx, but as i said in the edit is the second one better as it is PCIe 2.1 vs 2.0 ? Which one do you think is better?
  5. Quote:
    PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned to be fully implemented in PCI Express 3.0. But, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0.

^ From wikipedia on PCI Express 2.0/2.1. Some others may have more insight on any other differences between the two technologies.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon HD Graphics Product